Thread: Bogleyfest-Spry

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

Bogleyfest-Spry

A few pics, I'll leave the writing to those who can.............
    Attached Images Attached Images        

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Nice!

Hey Kurt! Thanks for posting these pics. I'll add some prose here to go with and upload a few of mine too.

This was our first Bogleyfest canyon on Saturday. The group was Kurt as mastermind in crime, Jody and Frank as his parters in crime and me, Robin and Aaron as the far from innocent bystanders.

It was a little odd hanging out at the VC hoping to spot 3 people you've never seen. Maybe next year we all wear white carnations or something? But it didn't take long to find each other. We dropped off Franks trunk at the 1st switchback and piled into my SUV to head up to the top.

It was a beautiful day but by 8:30 we could see that we'd have full on sun for more than half of the climb up to the saddle. The climb up the slick rock slabs gave a nice chance to practice our friction technique between gasps for air. Unlike the other Spry TR from the day before we found the petroglyphs almost without trying. Just that good I guess!

Near the glyphs is a particularly tricky ascent that got Robin to question her choice in footware. Aaron needed a couple of rest stops too but I think Kurt was glad he could rest his calves too. Jody and Frank darn near sailed up the thing though!

The views from the saddle were great. I wish I had take some photos but with everything packed away it seemed too much trouble. We considered making a quick jaunt up the Twin Brothers to set up a Tyrolean Traverse to East Temple but figured it might be better to save that for another day.

The first rap is super easy but still a lovely descent down a beautiful open bowl. Let me add to Kurt's pics of that. The first one has Kurt keeping a watchful eye over someone, then another of Robin descending and finally Jody, Frank and Aaron at the bottom.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

I'm a bit hazy on the order of the various downclimbs and raps we encountered next. This canyon keeps throwing all kinds of stuff at you! I know at one point one need to take care at the rap end to avoid ending up a pool. Aaron didn't But maybe it was half on purpose because he seemed to revel in being the first to be wet.

Some of the downclimbs are tricky and a little intimidating. This one vee requires elevator technique to keep from sliding about 15 feet down into water. The adults got a free 6 or 8 foot start because the vee is narrower than our hips. Aaron had nothing free here and slid most of the way down. But Kurt was kind to stand guard at the bottom and make sure he didn't hit anything. Robin was now a bit worried and with her sneakers not sticking (I told her to use her Keens!) also slid about half of it. She darn near put a foot where it would have impacted Kurt's family jewels but that disaster was also narrowly averted. Amazingly I negotiated it with only the loss of skin. But I learned it's OK to leave some DNA in the canyon as long as it's not bulk hemoglobin!

Lunch stop was beautiful here's some shots of that
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

After lunch the fun just kept coming. Some of the raps have awkward starts but that just adds to the interest. (Robin might beg to differ there!). Here's a shot of Jody obviously enjoying one such rap followed by Aaron doing the same. In the last shot of Robin descending you can see Kurt taking a photo. That's the photo of Robin he posted up above!

Re: Bogleyfest-Spry

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    A few pics, I'll leave the writing to those who can.............
    Dang - I wish I had thought of this line!

Great pictures - sorry we did not get to meet.

Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

The "flute rap" as described in Tom's site is certainly one of the most aesthetic raps of Spry. You have a fantasic view down canyon, some beautifully formed sandstone flutes to negotiate and an attention getting vertical drop immediately below. We all really enjoyed that one!

Here's the remainder of my shots. I have none of the final super fun rap over the Lamb's Tongue as I went last second to last. But hopefully some of the others got some killer shots with the Zion walls in the background.

Guys I'm counting on you for this year's Christmas Cards

The downclimb through the boulder fields were Robin's least favorite. Chere should take heed that Robin found that part of this canyon particularly taxing on her knees.

All in all a super fun day with a wonderful bunch of guys. Once again thanks to Kurt, Jody and Frank for inviting us along on this outing. I'd love to spend another day canyoneering or hiking or whatever with you guys soon.