Thread: Kolob Canyon starting at the road.

Kolob Canyon starting at the road.

So i am just curious is it possible to start kolob canyon from the Kolob canyon road where it cross's under the road. It looks like it really slots up and there are some tight narrows there. Alll the beta i have seen has you start over by boundry canyon. I just wanted to see if anyone has done it from there and what they encountered.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

From the road is the old way before the logging road was "discovered".... from the road sucks.... unless you like bushwhacking....

FWIW: I believe the "doomed scout troop" used the "from the road route", and I also think that is one of the reasons they didn't turn around after looking into the raging torrent.... it looked more appealing to attempt the torrent than bushwhack back out....

Re: Kolob Canyon starting at the road.

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru
    So i am just curious is it possible to start kolob canyon from the Kolob canyon road where it cross's under the road. It looks like it really slots up and there are some tight narrows there. Alll the beta i have seen has you start over by boundry canyon. I just wanted to see if anyone has done it from there and what they encountered.
    The first time I hiked Kolob was from the bridge under KT road. It was a miserable bushwack! Lots of blackberry bushes to begin with (gets the blood flowing) and then lots of thickets to push through! I do not recommend this route. Much easier just starting at the WR trailhead and usind the old logging roads.

cool that helps a lot. i am doing a slot canyon on july 25 and i haven't picket one out yet. Kolob is on the list and i was wondering if this is when they start releasing a lot of water down the canyon. i know i can call the water athority people but i am trying to figure out what time of year is good to go down Kolob.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    From the road is the old way before the logging road was "discovered".... from the road sucks.... unless you like bushwhacking....
    I'll ditto that. Only time I've done Kolob (and Tom's first) we went in from the road. Its "ok" but I wouldn't do it again. No real slot to speak of until you hit the gorge.

The "new" approach would be the way to go.

My notes from Sept 1999:

"After driving a mile past the turnoff to Lava Point, we parked at the large pullout on the south side of the road in between Blue Springs Reservoir and Kolob Reservoir. This pullout is above a basalt cliff band (same cliff band which forms Lava Point) overlooking the tumbling Kolob Creek. At 10:00 am we down climbed and thrashed our way to the creek bottom from a small grove of cottonwood trees on the south side of the rim. Loose, scratchy and precipitous. Down the creek we hiked passing several small, scenic waterfalls running over

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru
    i know i can call the water athority people but i am trying to figure out what time of year is good to go down Kolob.
    Get ready for there standard response of,

Well what happens if flow is under 5 CFS when you commit to the canyon and then they release water an hour into the slot. i guess you are pretty much screwed then. huh