Thread: Bogleyfest Friday - Englestead - The Incident

Bogleyfest Friday - Englestead - The Incident

After completing our rappel into Englestead Friday my group of four (Josh, Gonzo, Bugby and myself) were preparing for the second rappel when another group above us set their ropes and began to come down. The first guy came down quick but seemed competent enough (save for the fact that he wasn
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice trip report, glad the guy ended up ok. Probably obvious but just want to double check some assumtions: curious if they were rappeling single or double strand, doing the 300ft in one stage or doing it in 2 stages, and what rappel device was he using??

Quote Originally Posted by jhillock
    Nice trip report, glad the guy ended up ok. Probably obvious but just want to double check some assumtions: curious if they were rappeling single or double strand, doing the 300ft in one stage or doing it in 2 stages, and what rappel device was he using??
    Single strand, all 300 feet on that crappy Harbor Freight rope. They had two climbing ropes tied together to act as the pull cord. I think he was on an ATC but I'm not sure.

HAPPY F*ING BIRTHDAY DON!!!! Great story and so glad you guys made it out..........damn what an ordeal!

Hey Don.... I bet you will never forget this birthday..... in 50 years this birthday story will be at the top of your "grandpa stories" list....

Hey all you grey hairs, how often are people getting hurt in Englestead or is this just a run of bad luck? Maybe someone should put a sign on the anchor tree. Hey dumb$%%$% are you sure you know what your doing here?

Mark

Bo,

From reading the post, the ponderosa guy told Don and them that SAR would not of help them ascend out. From your experiences would of they helped them get out or sent them down as late as it was in the day? Or would of they lowered them goods to spend the night?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Bo,

From reading the post, the ponderosa guy told Don and them that SAR would not of help them ascend out. From your experiences would of they helped them get out or sent them down as late as it was in the day? Or would of they lowered them goods to spend the night?

Mark
    If I'd have known we would spend the night out and if I'd had the choice to bivy or jumar I would have chosen the bivy. Shane's right; it's a great story. You can't even get a permit to camp in Orderville but I got to do it.
    My only regret is the iodine tabs and we could have brought a bit more to eat.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Bo,

Mark
    If I'd have known we would spend the night out and if I'd had the choice to bivy or jumar I would have chosen the bivy. Shane's right; it's a great story. You can't even get a permit to camp in Orderville but I got to do it.
    My only regret is the iodine tabs and we could have brought a bit more to eat.
    And this is why I was no longer concerned for them when Bo told me they were ok. What guys wouldn't want to spend the night in a dark.... cold canyon.... huddled up next to each other to keep warm.

Bogley BigShot
    Such heros.

you forgot my favorite part of the story. Don coined a new term for newbies that I will be using from now on. He said that while laying there shivering wishing he had a blanket to keep warm he said "It's my birthday and I don't even get a birthday beer. Those Harbor Freight Mother F!@#ers!"

So the new term for newbs is Harbor freight mother f'ers. Or HFMF for short.

Great story Don. Those guys are so lucky you all were so prepared. And they do owe you dinner at the least IMO.
    The man thong is wrong.

Thanks for the report and the details.
    Life is Good

If there's water available, I always carry my pump. I hate the taste of those iodine tablets...

Here are the rest of my Englestead pics. We were hurrying and so didn't really pose for pics after the incident.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/don.ferg...L7fru_O0OzVWA#

Thanks for posting up pics Don!

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs
    Thanks for posting up pics Don!

-Mike
    Hey Bugby! Welcome to Bogley! The Mystery pics are here.

Thanks!
    -Mike