Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bogleyfest Sunday - Pine Creek Canyon

I do have a couple already on file. They are kinda crappy but you should be able to make them out. Also, this is massive 11 mil rope. But should be enough for you to get the general idea. If it doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll run out on my lunch break and snap some for ya. The lower part attached to the lever rotates and the upper portion is fixed in place. When it has actual weight on it and I'm hanging off a cliff, it will turn more sideways to the caribiner and the lever will stick out quite a bit more than you see here.

I was actually thinking about what Tom said last night about locking it open. I still think it might generate enough friction without the brake to make it an oversized, overpriced, belay device. I'm going to test it out today when I go rock climbing on a 30 foot cliff. Morbidly curious, hehe. Still not sure why someone would do that, but if I try it a couple times maybe I can understand the reasoning.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket
    I do have a couple already on file. They are kinda crappy but you should be able to make them out. Also, this is massive 11 mil rope. But should be enough for you to get the general idea. If it doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll run out on my lunch break and snap some for ya. The lower part attached to the lever rotates and the upper portion is fixed in place. When it has actual weight on it and I'm hanging off a cliff, it will turn more sideways to the caribiner and the lever will stick out quite a bit more than you see here.

I was actually thinking about what Tom said last night about locking it open. I still think it might generate enough friction without the brake to make it an oversized, overpriced, belay device. I'm going to test it out today when I go rock climbing on a 30 foot cliff. Morbidly curious, hehe. Still not sure why someone would do that, but if I try it a couple times maybe I can understand the reasoning.
    With the rotation locked off, it works well as a rappel device, holding the 'brake hand side' with your hand to control the speed.

But as a belay device - not so good. Really hard to feed it out, which is the MAIN thing you DO, belaying.

Nice pics...

Tom

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Canadians have pills for posting pics on a forum? Wow, you Canadians with your socialized medical care really are over treating minor diseases and under treating major diseases. j/k
    Minor?!? This is Bogley - posting pics on this forum is crucial!

Always looking forward to more...
    OK I went to the doctor and got some pills for posting pics. F*&%en HMO wont cover it

Enjoy

PS. Mods looks like this thread needs to be split into two threads: a TR and petzle stop threads. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images                         

Love the group shot!! That came out great.

** Note to self, get gym membership. **

Nice, Shaun!

That rappel is the one I blew out all the images on.

Jacob, my note to myself on the group shot is 'use gym membership'.

I can't help but notice you guys all have full wetsuits. Am doing Keyhole on Saturday and Pine Creek on Monday, and have a shortie and neoprene socks. Am I likely to wish I'd brought something more substantial?

BTW, awesome photos!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Deepends on how cold tolerent you are. Water wasn't warm. my hads werent covered and got cold swimming but warmed up out of the water.

The one guy that did use a shorty bowed out after keyhole. Don't know why: cold, time wise, somthing else.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Deepends on how cold tolerent you are. Water wasn't warm. my hads werent covered and got cold swimming but warmed up out of the water.

The one guy that did use a shorty bowed out after keyhole. Don't know why: cold, time wise, somthing else.
    OK, that doesn't sound too bad then. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sarahlizzy
    I can't help but notice you guys all have full wetsuits. Am doing Keyhole on Saturday and Pine Creek on Monday, and have a shortie and neoprene socks. Am I likely to wish I'd brought something more substantial?

BTW, awesome photos!
    Yes.

You are welcome to come up here and borrow some wet suits.

Here= 2625 S State Street (Highway 89) in Mt Carmel. Drive out the East Entrance then 12 miles to Route 89 (Mount Carmel Junction). Turn left (north). Drive 2 miles to the next 'town'. My house is a small white and blue house next to the road across from the Stone Schoolhouse. Park at the Stone Schoolhouse. The carport has lots of ropes hanging there.

Wetsuits are in a white cabinet on the back porch. You can try them on inside. Scott might be here packing boxes.

Return wetsuits when done. Inside out, Hang them on the line and spray down with the hose, then just leave them there.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Have you seen my puppy?

Ha ha...

-Brian in SLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    Have you seen my puppy?

Tom, thanks - will talk to the others about it (assuming they're all awake after doing the graveyard shift at the backcountry window). Do you have, er, women-shaped ones?

Thanks for the rope loan, btw. Since we got Mystery permits, I'm expecting them to come in very useful tomorrow, although we'll probably use the 8.3mm one as a pull cord...

BTW, awesome photos!
    If you want my advice I would suggest taking Tom up on his generous offer. It was colder than I could possibly imagine and I always do Subway with no wetsuit in the summer. This is completely different. But the nice thing about doing Keyhole first is it's very short. Only an hour maybe an hour and a half depending on group size? So if you do decide to go with the shorty, you'll have a good impression of what Pine Creek is and won't be stuck in a long canyon with hypothermia the next day.

Also, I'd rather you had fond memories of your vacation and not of being miserably cold. We want you to come back next year to Zion or Bogleyfest.

I know people are different, but I don't think a wetsuit here will be too cumbersome. It made the canyon enjoyable because I could take time through it and not shiver when coming out of a swimmer section.

Leaving to the car isn't awful, and there is a good place to take the wetsuit off and pack it up prior to the final two rappels.

We did catch up to a group of young canyon studs and one studette who had no cold water pro at all. They said "being cold is part of the fun". But I was very glad to have rented to 4/3mm suit. I was toasty except for my hands which did get cold at the end of the longer swims.

Also note that Bo felt so strongly about the need for cold water pro that he went back into town to get suits for a couple of the folks who hadn't brought them.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Thank you so much, Tom. Scott sorted us all out, apart from one of our group who's insisting on being the control by wearing her shortie. Very grateful indeed.

Thank you so much, Tom. Scott sorted us all out, apart from one of our group who's insisting on being the control by wearing her shortie. Very grateful indeed.
    Good to hear. Yes, lady-shaped wetsuits work much better...

Good to hear. Yes, lady-shaped wetsuits work much better...

A couple of us did end up with the men's cut, but thankfully they turned out to not be too constricting in all the wrong places!

A couple of us did end up with the men's cut, but thankfully they turned out to not be too constricting in all the wrong places!
    Please report back your observations when you get a chance. Although if a group of girls says "wasn't too bad" and I say "was hella cold" it could be a huge blow to my ego, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket
    Please report back your observations when you get a chance. Although if a group of girls says "wasn't too bad" and I say "was hella cold" it could be a huge blow to my ego, haha.
    Did Keyhole earlier today (decided to give Echo a miss - most of us were not up to hiking up there after the long day yesterday), with Zoe, Sylvia and Joyce. Myself and Sylvia wore full wetsuits and neoprene socks. Joyce wore a full wetsuit, normal socks and gloves, and Zoe wore a shortie wetsuit and socks.

Apparently Keyhole flashed yesterday, which may have made it warmer or something, but I found it very comfortable, as did Sylvia. Joyce complained of cold feet. Zoe, in a shortie wetsuit, also said she felt perfectly comfortable.

Here's the photo I took of Zoe, Joyce and Sylvia (left to right) at the end:

Mmm, organic-fest! It probably wasn't any warmer than usual - deathcricket just can't handle a little cold!