Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bogleyfest Sunday - Pine Creek Canyon

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Incredible photos, Deeps! They're some of the best rap and portrait shots I've seen on here - nice!

Tom
    Dean Paul awesome photos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket
    FYI: These wetsuits I'm modeling are on sale right now at sportsmans warehouse for $37.99 (reg $44.99?).
    Which Sportsman's Warehouse? I went to the Midvale store last week and they only had kids and small. But they had some killer prices on them.

I need some mediums and maybe a large to outfit a group for the Black Hole. If anyone knows of a Sportsmens Warehouse with those sizes let me know.

Go Team Stearns!

I have two Team Stearns XL wetsuits in my garage. One has been used a bunch of times and the other is brand new. You can have them both if you want them.

James

Holy cow Deeps. What kind of camera are you using and how are you taking such clear, sharp pictures? Those shots were fantastic.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Incredible photos, Deeps! They're some of the best rap and portrait shots I've seen on here - nice!
    X3
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    Holy cow Deeps. What kind of camera are you using and how are you taking such clear, sharp pictures? Those shots were fantastic.
    There are two things I did right:

First, it's a Nikon D-80 with an 80-200 really really really nice and really really really heavy lens. I was shooting in aperture priority at 2.8 for the most part. Disadvantage is you need to be freaking far away from the subject to get the winning shots, which tight slots complicate. At full zoom the background turns to butter and you get excellent depth of field with this lens. I also had the more common 18-135. It's okay, but needs more light than the 80-200.

Second, I handed the camera to Paul at some point and got it back with great images. :)

I love the pictures of Bo at belay. Some people observe that dog owners begin to share physical similarities with their pets over time. Bo seems to be taking on the physical characteristics of the canyon in these shots... His skin tone and texture are a match to the sandstone behind him. The guy is a canyon's best friend. Too cool.

hey... I think trackrunner is holding out on us... I seem to remember a group photo in pine creek...
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

Quote Originally Posted by theking648
    hey... I think trackrunner is holding out on us... I seem to remember a group photo in pine creek...
    Yes I'm lazy right now. I'll get it up sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    I'll get it up sometime.
    They got pills for that...

I'll get it up sometime.
    They got pills for that...

that's what she said

Canadians have pills for posting pics on a forum? Wow, you Canadians with your socialized medical care really are over treating minor diseases and under treating major diseases. j/k

Canadians have pills for posting pics on a forum? Wow, you Canadians with your socialized medical care really are over treating minor diseases and under treating major diseases. j/k
    Minor?!? This is Bogley - posting pics on this forum is crucial!

Always looking forward to more...

FYI: These wetsuits I'm modeling are on sale right now at sportsmans warehouse for $37.99 (reg $44.99?). Which is pretty much unbeatable IMO for a full. It's only 2-3 ml I imagine, really thin, but for zion canyons is about perfect. I won't lie my hands were shaking the entire time as evidence in the film, but protection to weight ratio is perfect.

I believe it was Iceaxe who mentioned it first so gotta give him the props though. I'm just the messenger.
    What is that serious looking device in your hand?

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Ahh that is my Petzl STOP.( http://www.rei.com/product/471280 ). It also doubles as weapon in case of bear attack, haha. I brought it for a couple reasons, the main one being if you let go of it for any reason you won't go down. You come to an immediate stop, there is a brake you have to squeeze to make it go. So it's completely safe if you get knocked on the head, faint, set your friction wrong, or gawd knows what. I was doing Englestead for the first time and a little paranoid since the highest I'd done was 180 feet, and I saw the vid of the other guy of course. I'm a "better safe than sorry" kinda guy. It's also pretty handy if you're a photo nut and want to take some pics on the way down. Just let go and you stop, pull out your camera and take pics. I really didn't do that on these trips cause I always felt we were kinda in a hurry to go down and I had people waiting on me, so didn't want to lag. Another thing I found out later, that it works really good for swimming disconnects. And there were a lot in Zion it turns out. Your device always stays connected since you don't have to loosen you beener to detach from the rope. And the final nice surprise, it doesn't twist the rope for some reason which didn't bother me until I went back to using my ATC and had a twisty rope at the end.

Couple major disadvantages: It only does single strands, so I brought my ATC in case we ever had to double rap. It got clogged with dead leaves and bark and sand (in Keyhole) and worked like crap until I knew exactly where to look for the blockage. But about 4 raps through pine creek it worked absoletely horrid and I couldn't understand why. Wasn't smooth basically it would eiither go way to fast or stop and was really hard to get the brake loose and started again. Now that I know where to look by the adjustment screw for blockage though it won't trouble me again but it bugged me for the longest time.

It's reminds me of my GRI GRI I use for climbing. If you've ever used one of those it's very similar in setup, just has the brake permanently out instead of folding in. But I highly recommend it, my first weekend using it and really enjoyed.

Your safety is not my responsibility.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Ahh that is my Petzl STOP.( http://www.rei.com/product/471280 ). It also doubles as weapon in case of bear attack, haha. I brought it for a couple reasons, the main one being if you let go of it for any reason you won't go down. You come to an immediate stop, there is a brake you have to squeeze to make it go. So it's completely safe if you get knocked on the head, faint, set your friction wrong, or gawd knows what. I was doing Englestead for the first time and a little paranoid since the highest I'd done was 180 feet, and I saw the vid of the other guy of course. I'm a "better safe than sorry" kinda guy. It's also pretty handy if you're a photo nut and want to take some pics on the way down. Just let go and you stop, pull out your camera and take pics. I really didn't do that on these trips cause I always felt we were kinda in a hurry to go down and I had people waiting on me, so didn't want to lag. Another thing I found out later, that it works really good for swimming disconnects. And there were a lot in Zion it turns out. Your device always stays connected since you don't have to loosen you beener to detach from the rope. And the final nice surprise, it doesn't twist the rope for some reason which didn't bother me until I went back to using my ATC and had a twisty rope at the end.

Couple major disadvantages: It only does single strands, so I brought my ATC in case we ever had to double rap. It got clogged with dead leaves and bark and sand (in Keyhole) and worked like crap until I knew exactly where to look for the blockage. But about 4 raps through pine creek it worked absoletely horrid and I couldn't understand why. Wasn't smooth basically it would eiither go way to fast or stop and was really hard to get the brake loose and started again. Now that I know where to look by the adjustment screw for blockage though it won't trouble me again but it bugged me for the longest time.

It's reminds me of my GRI GRI I use for climbing. If you've ever used one of those it's very similar in setup, just has the brake permanently out instead of folding in. But I highly recommend it, my first weekend using it and really enjoyed.

I use a STOP for Heaps, but that is about it. Works good on the Imlay 9mm rope. On the Imlay 8mm and 8.3mm, it would be a SLOW.

It does heat up on the long rappel and becomes painful to hold from the sharp edges. So, some good some bad. Best thing about Heaps rap - it is twice as fast as any other method. CAN haul the STOP up with the top end of the 300' x 9mm rope.

Tom

Interesting, does it come with a mule to haul it? When you were having problems with sticking etc due to guck could it not let you drop If it had enough guck in it?

Tom, why do you a different device for the end of heaps and not englestead?

Mark

Interesting, does it come with a mule to haul it? When you were having problems with sticking etc due to guck could it not let you drop If it had enough guck in it?

Tom, why do you a different device for the end of heaps and not englestead?

Mark
    Engelstead - feet against the wall, beginning of the day, usually with beginners/intermediates, and I have to train them in how to do a big rap, I go last but it would be unfair to use better technology, it is too heavy to carry through the canyon.

Heaps - totally free hanging, end of the day, tired, beer and pizza are waiting in town, I go last so who cares, it is in the bag with the rope so I don't have to carry it through the canyon.

The "return spring" is built into the mechanism, so it would tend to get jammed up 'closed' rather than open.

Tom

Oh yeah that's another good point Tom has. Using his rope in Englestead it would come to a crawl and not completely STOP, hehe. I did find out the next day through experimentation you could pull the lever out and it would pinch the rope to stop, But once you let go of the pinch it would start crawling along again. To be fair it does say in really big lettering stamped on the side to not use it for smaller than 9mil rope too. :)

Heat - I didn't notice the heat on my fingers doing the big drop in Englestead, but I did notice it on the 2nd rappell after. It took a while for the heat to migrate into the hand parts of the device. It wasn't uncomfortable but I can understand doing drop after drop it would get nasty without a water source to dunk it into.

Weight - It only weighs 326 grams which is super light, For comparison, a locking caribiner weighs 226 grams. Good tradeoff IMO.

Dirt - I think the chances are really slim you could lock it up completely with debris, but I never say never. we could consult Tom on this but I would say about the same as using any device. There is only a hole slightly bigger than the rope so even an ATC could technically get clogged? Here is a pic, you can see even now there is a little bit of sand in there. I left that friction control screw at the factory set level, I imagine as it wears down the problem will occur less often since the ridge there will be less pronounced. The brake is on the bottom and it opens quit wide. So I imagine if something was lodged in there it would eventually become wide enough to pass it? Interesting thought though!

** Tom** I did have a quick question for you then since you've used one of these. I noticed there is a hole on the hammer where you could put a clip in and lock it in the "open" position where the brake couldn't be used. Any reason you know why you would want to lock it completely open? That would seem to defeat the entire purpose of the device to me. I took another picture and pointed it out for reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The Technical Notice 2 MB pdf:

http://petzl.com/files/all/technical...20D09800-H.pdf

indicates it is a way to defeat the self-locking mechanism, thus allowing you to use it like a big normal rappel device.

Tom

Ahh this is great stuff, thank you!

Once again Deeps, those were amazing pictures! Thanks for the response.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

DeathCricket,
    If you have a chance could take a picture of the device rigged with a rope.

Mark