Thread: California Class C Canyoneering Video

California Class C Canyoneering Video

Pretty dang cool...... but dis'n Utah.... come on....

CA Class C
    http://www.viddler.com/explore/npinguet/videos/1/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I was born & rased that area. To bad i didnt know about canyoneering then
    Don`t be afraid your life will end be afraid it will never begin fear is the thief of all dreams...

Where are these canyon located? Usually when people are dis'n you there just jealous. Those canyons look fun.

Mark

Re: California Class C Canyoneering Video

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Pretty dang cool...... but dis'n Utah.... come on....
    "This is not yet another Utah canyoneering presentation..."

In reference to the international rendezvous methinks, and, the only stuff those folks see from the US is Utar stuff.

So, not a dis, per se.

Girl got talent!

-Brian in SLC
    (and, NP, thanks!)

Very cool
    Wish I'd been able to do some of that while on my mission down there

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Where are these canyon located? Usually when people are dis'n you there just jealous. Those canyons look fun.

Mark
    This is my first post, I've been lurking for some time now, but since I have some knowledge of the subject, I thought I'd post and share.

Most of the canyons in this video are in the San Gabriel Mountains.
    http://www.dankat.com/advents/content.htm

The exception is the Seven Teacups which is off the Kern River in the southern Sierras.

A slight clarification, only the Seven Teacups and Little Santa Anita Canyons are actually class "C" (and LSA only right after winter storms). The others are class "B", but have many deep pools. Especially Lower Eaton which has you swimming/jumping/sliding for hours through the narrow sections.

Welcome! This site will be mostly dead since many are in Zion Park at the Bogley fest.

About the Cali-canyons, are these mostly a water park and fun or are there significant challenges like keeper potholes, stemming...etc.?
    Life is Good

another new member here (and frequent canyoneering partner of karoberts),

socal canyons generally wouldn't be considered slots so there aren't as many opportunities for stemming, nor do they present the challenges of keeper potholes. the canyons tend to be wider and follow creeks or streams many of which run year round so there can be long stretches spent boulder-hopping downstream intermixed with sections requiring downclimbing

i personally feel that waterflow is probably the most significant challenge. but it also happens to make for the most fun :)

the exception is probably the seven teacups at the kern. it is virtually unrunable in the early spring and can require swiftwater techniques into the early summer. and it has re-circulating pools that can be difficult to exit.

next time you're buried under a big snowstorm in february, you should consider coming down to socal to rap some waterfalls in 75 degree weather ;)

Welcome to Bogley.

Seven Tea Cups has always looked really inviting to me... I'd love to give it a try one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Welcome! This site will be mostly dead since many are in Zion Park at the Bogley fest.

About the Cali-canyons, are these mostly a water park and fun or are there significant challenges like keeper potholes, stemming...etc.?
    It depends on the time of year, the canyon, and how strong the winter rains were.

For instance, after a rainy winter, Fox Creek can have pools deep enough to jump into. After a light winter, the pools can be a few feet deep. This is because the pools fill with sediment, and it takes a good strong rainstorm to blast them clear. Fall Creek on the other hand is a wet and wild adventure in the Spring, but dries up almost completely in the late Summer.

The best "waterpark" canyons that I know of are Lower Eaton, 7 Teacups, and Little Santa Anita (alas though it burned a while back and is all filled with dirt).

The San Gabriel canyons are generally water carved granite at the narrowest around 5-8 feet. The only keeper pothole I've come across is in Little Santa Anita where there is a 20-30 foot deep pool that in the later summer can be 8-10 feet below the lip. There is an alternate anchor that bypasses it.

Re: California Class C Canyoneering Video

This looks like way too much fun. I'm gonna have to vist so Cal one of these days for more than just Disney Land. I'm sweltering in so. Utah right now and anywhere I could go that would require a wetsuit would be great right now. Thanks for posting this Ice.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"