Thread: Cold Water Gloves

Cold Water Gloves

Need some advice on gloves. I'm in a group planning some Pacific North West cold flowing water mountain canyons and need to be prepared to rap, set up anchors, and swim in rather frigid water. I've been told that traditional SCUBA gloves can be too thick for good dexterity - and other stories of why various gloves don't live up to the task. Anyone out there been through this and find the perfect glove?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I am not a "canyoneer" but one winter while hiking down a cold wet canyon with ropes, I brought along my waterski gloves and they worked great! They strap on tight, very durable, great cold water protection while still quite flexible.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Cold Water Gloves

Quote Originally Posted by davehuth
    Need some advice on gloves. I'm in a group planning some Pacific North West cold flowing water mountain canyons and need to be prepared to rap, set up anchors, and swim in rather frigid water. I've been told that traditional SCUBA gloves can be too thick for good dexterity - and other stories of why various gloves don't live up to the task. Anyone out there been through this and find the perfect glove?
    I have a couple of different pairs of neoprene gloves I use for canyoneering at times. They work better if they can go on and off fairly quickly - I have one pair that is way too tight and take too long to get off.

But it is unlikely to find a glove that will keep your hands warm AND be good for rappelling. So, wear the gloves, take them off for the actual rappel. Put them back on when done. The rope will tear up most gloves pretty fast, so... not much of a loss, really.

Tom

I have a pair of 3 mm gloves that I think were purchased at Recreation Outlet. They are wonderful for warmth. I force a large pair of the blue Atlas-type gloves over them for abrasion protection, and after a few canyons, they're in great shape. Only caveat . . . dexterity is not great. Worth experimenting, though (IMO), if your hands get as cold as mine.

Thanks JB, ratagonia and fourtycal -- these are great options to experiment with. Seems like the best approach is to not think in terms of one glove for all situations, but address each need somewhat independently and get the minimal set of gloves that cover all bases.

Quote Originally Posted by davehuth
    Thanks JB, ratagonia and fourtycal -- these are great options to experiment with. Seems like the best approach is to not think in terms of one glove for all situations, but address each need somewhat independently and get the minimal set of gloves that cover all bases.
    If you know you are going to be in a lot of water or cold (ex: Class C canyon), then you can wear neo gloves like recommended above. However, instead of taking them off, I've worn a larger pair of Atlas or leather gloves over them. Then your hands are still warm, and you aren't destroying your neos. You will have to play with this as you also don't want to lose dexterity and bungle something on your rap...

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal
    I brought along my waterski gloves and they worked great!
    I never thought of waterski gloves.... I might stop by Marine Products and check some out.... they might be the hot ticket....

I've used neo gloves in the past with so-so results....

Re: Cold Water Gloves

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    But it is unlikely to find a glove that will keep your hands warm AND be good for rappelling. So, wear the gloves, take them off for the actual rappel. Put them back on when done. The rope will tear up most gloves pretty fast, so... not much of a loss, really.

Tom
    X2. I purchased a pair of neos back in the day I was buying about everything and testing it out and they were great until I was on rappel. I had to treat them very gingerly and they still got big nicks and dings in the gloves in short little Pine Creek one spring. Also, my hands are big so I am not sure there are gloves big enough to fit over neos like suggested above.
    Life is Good

Dish gloves

Dish gloves will work well for everything except rappelling. You can swap in the neoprene for the raps. I recommend them in black to minimize any snide remarks... :) They are surprisingly warm and you won't lose and dexterity.