Thread: Rocky Mountain NP hikes?

Rocky Mountain NP hikes?

I'm visiting a friend who has a place on Grand Lake. Does anyone have any suggestions on good hikes or maybe an overnighter in RMNP? I'm not sure if I want to race up Longs Peak with everyone, but hey that may change.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

A few of the hikes to the waterfalls are pretty popular. Alberta Falls is an easy one. They have a shuttle system like Zion does. Check out summitpost.org for a few other ideas as well.

Alberta Falls is actually on the other side of the mountain range than Grand Lake and would be several hours away. If you were already going to go over Trail Ridge though, it may work.

Anyway, I'm currently living a few miles from Grand Lake. To give an idea of a few hikes, all the ones we have done since June 3 are within a few miles of Grand Lake (but we haven't climbed anything big because of the snow-which will be gone soon). See the link below for a log:

http://www.summitpost.org/custom-obj...-trip-log.html

Some suggestions are Lone Eagle Peak, James Peak from Rollins Pass, Devils Thumb, Byers and Bills Peak, Irving Hale or Mount Richthofen to name a few.

Lone Eagle from Mirror Lake is the best mountain scene in Colorado and the trail starts right near Grand Lake. Here is a photo I took of the place a few years ago:

Also if you want someone to climb with, let me know and I'll show you around. I have to work some Saturdays though.

I did 70 miles of trails in RMNP about 2 weeks ago. Mud and snow was about at 10000 foot level.

From the west side of the park, I did the East Inlet Trail, La Poudre Pass via Colorado River Trail, and Tonahutu Creek Trail (to Big Meadows). I didn't like the East Inlet Trail. La Poudre Pass was interesting, and Tonahutu was alright.

If you're into bagging peaks you would not like these.

Plus, the mountain pine beetle has practically eaten half the park.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice. Scott, that is exactly what I was looking for! I will be going in the middle of july so this should give me plenty of time to research.