Thread: 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4WD

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4WD

Abby and I found a very clean 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4WD that has all the features she wants. Not planning on using it for any serious Jeeping, but might want to take it on some Utah backroads that require 4WD. We are taking it to our mechanic tomorrow. Opinions about this vehicle?

Thanks in advance. -Richard

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That's the 360 engine with the louvers in the hood. At that time, they were the fastest SUV's on the planet. Very comfortable Jeep to drive long distances in. One of the issues that can be a problem is the transmission. The problem lies in the lines that are used to cool it are kind of small and if they get caked up, the transmissions overheat and it eventually kills the transmission. If it shifts fine now, I would just include a transmission service complete with a filter change and do that every 20,000 miles or so.

Always wanted a Grand Cherokee 5.9
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Abby's mechanic looked it over today and feels it is pretty good shape. He mentioned that the front end was "nice and tight," since so many 4WD front ends can need parts. It might need a couple of seals replaced, but otherwise it seems to be exactly what Abby wants.

So tell me, how does it stack up in terms of back roads; clearance, attack and departure etc.?

(By the way, I don't know if I ever told Bogley this, but Abby used to ride Harleys and used to drag race. She knows how to strip a carb and rebuild it, and she is a whiz with tools.)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    So tell me, how does it stack up in terms of back roads; clearance, attack and departure etc.?
    it's a JEEP. it's going to do fine. you probably won't be doing any major rock crawling, but it will do everything else. trailheads and muddy roads should not be a problem. i've seen grand cherokee's over the top of elephant hill in the needles of canyonlands and it's not an easy road.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    He mentioned that the front end was "nice and tight," since so many 4WD front ends can need parts. .

A lot of times the rubber bushings in the control arms become worn with age and mileage which cause a "loose" front end.

Stock is stock. But, you can grab some 1 3/4" - 2" coil spring spacers (Daystar) and run the Rubicon (2003-2006) Tires and Rims. (Moab Rim and the 31" Goodyear MT/R) There will be minor rubbing on plastic bottom lip portion of the front bumper when turning sharp. That could be trimmed off with no harm, no foul. That added height will do you fine, it's nothing crazy, but the more aggressive tire and the little bit more height does wonders. Keep in mind it's a uni-body. If you continuously whack the rocker pannels on those nice rocks out there, your doors won't shut smoothly Approach angles and departure angles aren't bad for the most part, better if you get it off the ground a little more.

GIVING YOU AN IDEA ON DAYSTAR (clicky)

Here are what the rims and tires look like off the 03-06 (TJ) Rubicon on a ZJ (Jeep lingo for the body style you have) . Anybody lifting the Rubi's will look to sell the stock rims and tires and opt for larger tires and different rims. And the approach angle isn't too bad with this setup

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    My wife is on her 2nd Grand Cherokee. The first a 94 with the 360. A very capable rig in stock form, I have driven many 4wd vehicles and none compare in my book, in snow, it's like cheating. The mileage was never great as I recall, somewhere in the 16-18mpg range.
    The 2nd one is a 2004 with the inline 6 cyl. It has all the assets of the other, with the added bonus of getting 20-23 mpg. We live and drive in the mountains daily and the inline 6 never disappoints for power.
    All in all I'd say they are great all around vehicles, with exceptional off road ability in stock form.

PS, this isn't meant to offend anyone that owns one or like one, but are just some facts/experiences with the said vehicles. I would suggest doing your own research rather than just taking it from me or anyone else.

I used to own a Jeep. It was a lot of fun, but it was also the most troublesome vehicle I owned even though I got it with only 20,000 miles. Another Chrysler (pickup this time) that I have been in charge of in the last five years have been both well taken care of but extremely costly and problematic. I will be happy to show the repair bills for anyone interested.

My wife's parents also have an 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it has been very costly and unreliable for them. My wife's dad works on cars and knows how to maintain them too, so it isn't from neglect and the thing is never off road either.

The Jeep Cherokee is one of the least reliable vehicles on the road according to Consumer Reports and several other sources as well (such as Consumer Review):

http://www.autospies.com/news/Consum...-Market-41486/

In addition to being extremely trouble prone mechanically, most past years of Jeep Grand Cherokees did very poorly in crash test:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Personally, I wouldn't consider buying one of these vehicles.

In addition to asking on the forum, I would also do research on your own on these vehicles.

Here are some other sources to search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=f&oq=&aqi=g10

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...q=f&oq=&aqi=g6

I would take the money and buy a Toyota with twice the miles before I would buy a Jeep. My opinion comes extremely biased because I have owned four 4Runners and never a Jeep. One of my 4Runners was a lemon and cost me thousands in repairs, but in the end it was still worth money that when I sold it I only lost a couple hundred bucks.

All used cars are susceptible to mechanical problems. If a Toyota blows up it is still worth something and therefore it is not a total loss of money to fix it. If a older Jeep breaks it is just a money pit.

Anyways, my two cents

Well, she really wanted it, and the price was very right...