Thread: San Rafael Swell: The Dike and Horizon Arch

San Rafael Swell: The Dike and Horizon Arch

On the western slope of the swell and south of I 70 is an area called "The Dike". As far as I know it isn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice images.

This is the area where the "Gem" canyon system is located if I am not mistaken. Scott P could back me up on this. Anyhow, great pics. The Swell ceases to amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus
    This is the area where the "Gem" canyon system is located if I am not mistaken. Scott P could back me up on this. Anyhow, great pics. The Swell ceases to amaze me.
    You`re absolutely right!

Yes, correct.

The Horizon Arch trail has something for everyone. If you like to hike, there are great hikes to spectacular overlooks. There are some nice technical canyon for the canyoneers. The Horizon Arch trail makes a great 4x4 excursion and is also a great mountain bike trip.

A difficulty: as far as I know no maps are showing the trail completely.
    The newer San Rafael NG/Trails Illustrated shows the trail if I remember correctly.

How to go to the place? Leave I 70 at Exit 111 on the west flank of the swell, go to the south side of the interstate towards Kimball Draw. A smaller tributary has a track leading again in a southern direction. One has to cross Cat and Dizzy Trail Canyon. At least from a point south of Dizzy Trail Canyon, teh maps provided with the story might be helpful.
    If interested, I also have directions in the "Getting There" section below and Note #2:

http://www.summitpost.org/canyon/152...ddle-fork.html