Thread: They call it Naked Hiking Day

They call it Naked Hiking Day

[b]Nude hiking buffs ready to doff the duds
    Solstice ritual

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Growing up with hippie parents, I have to give naked hiking day a big thumbs up.

Never affected me as a child seeing naked people running around. At least not that I'm aware. Hehe.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I have my pants off right now.

James

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    Unfortunately, it's not too difficult for me to envision that, James.

Blog | FB

It is kind of a catch 22. I don't mind the idea of naked hiking, but I do mind the idea of seeing naked people on a family hike.

I guess I view it kind of like skinny dipping. I am all for it, I just think it should only be done when you are not going to disrupt the enjoyment of others.

Seeing some naked dude's Shillong while hiking with my kids, would bother me.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    Unfortunately, it's not too difficult for me to envision that, James.

"My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Dangling gerunds bother me too.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo

Seeing some naked dude's Shillong while hiking with my kids, would bother me.

MMMMmmmmm.... naked hiking day....

and if you can't hike, dip.

Posted on Mon, Jun. 22, 2009
    NC nudist resort joins try for skinny-dip record
    By Janet Blackmon Morgan
    The (Myrtle Beach) Sun News
    An area nudist resort is flinging open its gates and welcoming everyone to be part of a world record for the largest simultaneous skinny dip.

Whispering Pines resort near Ocean Isle Beach, N.C., is ready for the clothed to come in and undress for the dip on July 11.

The American Association for Nude Recreation is coordinating the event across the country at legally sanctioned nude beaches and resorts. The Guinness World Records Association is adding a category for the largest simultaneous skinny dip so any number of participants will set the record.

The dip begins at 3 p.m., but Gloria Waryas, the resort's secretary and liaison to the American Association for Nude Recreation, said the resort will open to the public at 2 p.m. so people can get into the pool and pond to be ready for the 3 p.m. start time.

The modest can get in the water wearing their bathing suits, kneel down to undress, then hold the suits over their heads to qualify as authentic skinny dippers without ever exposing themselves.

Everyone must be in their birthday suits to be counted for the official Guinness record, but "They just have to hold up a suit to show they are nude," Waryas said. "At one time or other in people's lives, most people have skinny dipped. We're just saying come on out and skinny dip for the world record."

Waryas has been a nudist for decades and a board member of the association representing the eastern district, which runs from Nova Scotia to Louisiana.

The resort has been operating since the mid-1970s off a dead-end dirt road west of U.S. 17 in Brunswick County. The scheduled dip marks the first time the resort will roll out the welcome mat for an event like this. The 33-acre resort has its pool and pond, plus a horseshoe pit, volleyball court, and a clubhouse for billiards and relaxing.

It even offers nude counseling when needed.

On Friday, Waryas sat at her desk flipping through brochures when Darrell Holder bounded into the small office with only a towel slung over his left shoulder.

He'd never visited a nudist resort until checking in a few hours earlier, even though he'd been living the natural lifestyle for years behind a tall fence surrounding his backyard at his home in Brevard, N.C.

Friday, he managed to drop his inhibitions and shorts to join a handful of others at the resort.

"When I first got here, I didn't know what to think," he said. "But it's only been a few hours and here I am, naked."

Holder said he jiggled off the jitters by putting on a pair of swim trunks, wandering around the rented trailer grounds and watching others on their way to the pool. After a few minutes, he tossed the shorts back in the trailer and joined in.

"But I've always been like this. As soon as I get home from work, I start stripping. I think I'm allergic to clothes," Holder said with a laugh. "I love it here. I feel comfortable, and I'm thinking of buying a place here. It just feels right. It feels like home."

But his girlfriend wasn't as comfortable. Immediately after checking in at the office, she changed out of her summer clothes and into jeans, a sweatshirt and a pair of boots.

After Holder visited the pool, he went back to coax her outside. He found her in the trailer changed into her shorts and T-shirt.

"She's back in the trailer and won't come out," he said, asking Waryas to drop by. "Maybe you can talk to her. Maybe you can have one of those woman talks, you know, make her feel better and more comfortable. I tried, but it might be different coming from a woman."

Waryas hopped into her golf cart and headed for the trailer. She returned to the pool and a waiting Holder a little while later shaking her head.

"It's harder for some women," she said. "We sometimes have more issues than men. It'll take time."

While some people wanted to chime in on their decisions to go nude in front of others, they didn't want to give their names.

"I'm not ashamed," the first-timer Holder said as he struggled to jump on a plastic float in the pool, where a few men and women hung out.

"We always say, 'nude where possible and clothed where practical,'" Waryas said. "Blue collar? White collar? It doesn't matter because we don't wear collars. It really is a great equalizer."

Naked hiking is a great experience, it's one of those things you should do before you die!

Rich.

I once solo backpacked for four days down lower John's Canyon naked. After a while I had to put a shirt on though. It was great. It is much more convenient, so to speak. When I arrived at my car I actually started to get in and drive. It took another car pulling up to remind me of my lack of proper attire.

I was on the AT last year and I was one of the few in our section of the pack that did not observe NHD. There are some places where skeeters bites are just not acceptable so Iwas not willing to risk it! No women in our section of the pack that day either so there really was nothing to see.