Thread: Right Fork of North Creek

Right Fork of North Creek

The Right Fork of North Creek in Zion is high on my "to do" list. I've found a few odds and ends about it, but looking for more and figured Bogley's the place to turn to. Anyone done it from the top?

What are your thoughts, comments, trip reports, pictures, etc?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Right Fork of North Creek

Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker
    The Right Fork of North Creek in Zion is high on my "to do" list. I've found a few odds and ends about it, but looking for more and figured Bogley's the place to turn to. Anyone done it from the top?

What are your thoughts, comments, trip reports, pictures, etc?
    Excellent route. Real fun.

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0707right/index.htm

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/rfork02/index.htm

and one other time. It's in the book:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/prod...age=1&featured

I recommend the "regular route" for the first time through. Kinda hot that first day, this time of year. Get an early start by camping at Lava Point the night before (or get the EARLY shuttle).

Tom

I've done it too and really liked it.

If you have the time don't miss the side canyons in the middle lower end. Some good stuff in there.

So how many raps are there? How big of a drop is each? My wife is somewhat scared of heights, wants to go, and also wants to know what she's getting herself into.

Actually, she's gaining more confidence- after we're down she usually says "that wasn't as bad as I thought" and is starting to ask when we can go climbing again.

So how many raps are there? How big of a drop is each? My wife is somewhat scared of heights, wants to go, and also wants to know what she's getting herself into.

Actually, she's gaining more confidence- after we're down she usually says "that wasn't as bad as I thought" and is starting to ask when we can go climbing again.
    Did you read the material provided???

If you did, you would know that the question "so how many raps are there?" kind of misses the point. If you need things laid out for you more explicitly, you are DEFINITELY looking at the wrong adventure. This one requires backcountry skills and adult behaviour.

Tom

Read the material except for the book. The book looks like it would be a nice addition to the collection.

The latest rave posts were a couple different approaches- pictures, minimal text. Pictures are good, text sometimes adds a lot as well.

Sorry- not going to comment on the last part about backcountry skills and adult behaviour.

When planning a trip, I find it helpful to gather information from several sources. I'm just simply looking around for what I can gather!

Read the material except for the book. The book looks like it would be a nice addition to the collection.

The latest rave posts were a couple different approaches- pictures, minimal text. Pictures are good, text sometimes adds a lot as well.

Sorry- not going to comment on the last part about backcountry skills and adult behaviour.

When planning a trip, I find it helpful to gather information from several sources. I'm just simply looking around for what I can gather!
    Not meant as a personal jab, but people 'fail' on the route by not following the directions fully. It is a long, complex and inobvious backcountry route to get to the actual canyon in the 'right' place. I think people have 'navigation fatigue' who end up, unexpectedly, in the Direct.

Sorry. Thought I sent you the text from the book (thus some of the snipiness). The book says:

#35 Right Fork, Great West Canyon

The Right Fork is a remarkable journey across the Zion landscape, offers outstanding beauty, and extracts a worthy price of admission. Rather long and hot, it is done as either a one-day, two-day or a three-day hike. Lack of palatable water for the first 2/3 of the hike will deter some. There are rappels and swims
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks for the text from the book!

This last post clarified a lot from your former one. If you'd sent the part from the book the first time (as you believed you did), you had every right to be short with me!

I can see your perspective about people getting in over their heads and the bother that it is for the local pros who sometimes need to go in and get them out. Every year I read about several incidents in Zion. I'm positive there are others that aren't as publicized.

When we go the standard route is the one we'll use. The direct looks like a good variation, but not with my wife until she is more confident.

The trip is still quite a ways off, but when you can't be in the canyons, planning a trip for the canyons is the next best thing...