Thread: Fears?

Fears?

We all have our fears or just something the creeps us out. What do you fear or what creeps you out?
    Okay here goes mine (feel welcome to tease me =D). I HATE cicadas and moths. Last night a moth landed on me and i was very very close to passing out. Another time someone held one in my face and I jumped out of the door into the pavement.
    Don't post if you don't want people to tease you because....i am sure they will.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Being alone at night - I don't like it.. I can't say it freaks me out, but I would much rather be wrapped in a man's arms than be alone!!!!!

And...

My head under water!

I never liked it, but when Bo and I did Kolob Canyon with high water flow and I had to rappel in those waterfalls, I panicked for the first time in my life. I have few fears... it freaked me out when that happened. It was so bad that the panic attacks started when I would even look at the photos from the trip. No one would have known though if I had not told them.. only Bo was with me - and I mentioned it to him. I am good at faking it.

umm... falling off a high cliff and landing face first. but thats about it for me.

it's a little creepy being in the middle of nowhere at night... no lights no people, but it's alot of fun. it's a cool feeling not knowing whats in the shadows.

so my ultimate fear is being in the middle of nowhere at night triping on a rock and falling off a cliff landing face first.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

I wasn't creeped out by spiders until I saw arachnophobia. That night I was laying in bed and a rather large carpenter ant started crawling up my leg like the spider did to that gu yin the beginning of the movie. I remember telling my little brothers to turn on the light cause something was crawling up my leg. Scarred for life. I don't have aproblem with them so long as I'm aware of them previously.

Also, open water scares me to death. I'm not a strong swimmer by any means and having studied the creature that dwell beneath the water's surface, I know what's beneath my dangling feet. Kinda creeps me out just thinking about it. Kinda funny though cause I'd LOVE to go deep sea fishing.

walking into a spider web with my face. i hate that.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Grasshoppers. I hate Grasshoppers. They jump on you and the barbs stick to your clothes. They spit on you...

My son caught one and put it in a gladware bowl and a lid. Each time it would jump, I would.

Hate 'em.

Would I reach in a box filled with grasshoppers to grab a c-note? Absolutely not!
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Spiders... Don't like the spiders.. Arachnophobia did it for me too. My brother and I both watched that show constantly and since then we both don't like spiders. I try to get my wife to kill them for me.

Would I reach in a box filled with Spiders to grab a c-note? Probably but I sure as hell wouldn't like it.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

I am the only one with the fear of cicadas?
    Look their whole objective in life is to kill people.
    What did it for me was walking through a field with 1000s of cicadas, landing on you, brushing off on you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Those giant cockroaches (Palmetto roaches) that fly. And you can't kill them by stepping on them either. I think they're only in the humid South though. Out here in Utah I hate spiders!! I've seen some really wicked ones since moving here. Oh...and I will agree with Tanya - having my head under water or any other claustrophobic situation.

Never regret anything that made you smile!

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Quote Originally Posted by coinslab
    I am the only one with the fear of cicadas?
    Look their whole objective in life is to kill people.
    What did it for me was walking through a field with 1000s of cicadas, landing on you, brushing off on you.
    I hate the sound they make.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Cicadas = gross, noisy little bastards! Not afraid of them, but thay are annoying as hell. I also hate how they pee on you when they fly off if you're under them - ick!

I have a total phobia of ticks. They disgust and revolt me far more than other bloodsucking things do (well, leeches really freak me out as well, but they are really easy to avoid). The fact they stick to you, AND suck your blood, AND spread disease AND are hideous looking are all reasons.

I'm also very nervous about going into the ocean, even just wading in; swimming = out of the question. It was getting stung by a Portugese Man 'o War 25 years ago that was the buzzkill on that.

For some odd reason, I've been developing an increasing fear of flying as I've gotten older. It's irrational, but aren't all phobias? Sometimes I'm okay, but there are other times I could go into a full-blown panic attack if I think about the fact that we are several miles above the earth in a small tube that could have all sorts of catastrophic things go wrong with it that would result in a horrifying death. It doesn't help that I seem to be traveling shortly after a crash and I cannot help but to fixate on that.

Example: I flew to AZ shortly after that commuter plane went down in Feb near Buffalo, NY...where it was pilot error that caused the wings to ice up and it went spinning out of control? So, I'm flying out of Newark to Providence and it's raining out and there is turbulance when we take off and I'm sitting there, with sweaty palms, and nauseated from anxiety.

Two weeks ago, I flew out to Boise. The flight, as always, was uneventful. However, it was just a couple of days after the Air France flight went down in the Atlantic, and the flight from Providence to Chicago was an Airbus...and I was anxious for much of the flight. I kept thinking about those poor people on that plane, helpless to do anything as their plane likely fell out of the sky and they realized they were going to die. I find plane crashes to be very upsetting for this reason.

I know the odds of getting killed in an airplane crash are very remote. The intellectual part of my brain knows this. However, the lizard part - where the fear lives - sometimes overrides this. I think part of it is that, while I have no fear of death itself, I'm terrified of dying by falling out of the sky or in a crash where I could feel pain and terror prior to dying.

Despite all this, I think it's really awesome taking off and watching the ground disappear below, and flying over mountains and canyons is the coolest thing ever! I just get sweaty palms while I'm watching and praying that the maintence guys did a good job on the plane before we took off. In spite of my fear, I refuse to let it stop me from dictating my life and I just deal with the anxiety and do what I can to take my mind off of it. I just don't like flying; it is a means to an end and I'm always hugely relieved when I'm back home. Another reason I'll be glad to be moved away from the east coast: I'll never have a reason to fly anywhere, because any place I'd want to go will be within driving distance .

SJ
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I have a fear of spiders... if I know they are there I am ok. If they sneak up on me I will freak out. The kids got a good laugh 2 weeks ago when I was ripping out small lilac and rose of sharon sprouts.. it was all grown over and I am underneath a rose bush pulling weeds and sprouts and my daughter tells me there is a spider on me. I jumped back freaked out and they laughed.... spider is gone I start my work again. This time I glance down at my bare knee and there is a big black bad ass spider on my knee. I started hyperventilating and almost ended up in tears. The kids were rolling around on the grass howling with laughter. I know it is irrational... I try to reason with myself that this is riduclous. As of late I have been able to control the fear enough if I see one I can kill it. But if it is sneaky and gets anywhere near me I will freak out.

Flying is another fear. I have better control over this one. It is really hard to travel to far away places if you don't control this fear. I once flew to Chicago and the following morning my jaw was locked in place for about 36 hours. That sucked!!! I could barley get a straw in my mouth to sip water.

Another very irrational fear of mine and I didn't have it until I moved to TN is tornados. If I am stressed or sick I have nightmares about them. I have looked up the eye of tornado in my dream, had my kids ripped out of my arms, tried to save family members from cars being blown away by these beasts of nature, seen 10 touch down in my dreams at one time. Funny thing is we lived 5 years in TN and I never saw a real tornado, THANK GOD!! If I was a sleep and the wind picked up I would bolt up out of a dead sleep. Listen and if the wind sounded bad I would have to get up and check the news. They would track the storms and tell you exactly where a tornado could develop. I would be rivited to the TV unitl the storm passed. I drove Tyler crazy. We lived 45 min south of Nashville in Columbia TN. It must have been a good spot. The tornados would go just south of us or just north. In the 5 years I lived there we had some crazy weather, hail, wind driving rain every direction but the right way and even had straight line winds rip a bunch of trees out at the golf course and rip chimneys off our friends apartment complex, and part of the roof of of the small mall. But never a tornado.

Last fear is being lost. If I truly could not get my bearings, know which way is which I would most likely lose it. I have to know where I am.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by savanna3313
    Those giant cockroaches (Palmetto roaches) that fly. And you can't kill them by stepping on them either. I think they're only in the humid South though. Out here in Utah I hate spiders!! I've seen some really wicked ones since moving here. Oh...and I will agree with Tanya - having my head under water or any other claustrophobic situation.

There are roaches here in St. George!!! They roam the streets! It seems every place here has to spray. I bought a brand new house... all tile, not carpet... I have almost nothing in it.. and I am a clean freak with almost no food ever in the house and 3 different roaches dared to tread inside!!!

I called the bug man and he sprayed outside and now they roam the streets but don't visit me!

THOSE REALLY SCARE ME!

I won't go anywhere in this hot climate without turning on a light and looking down. Why was I so afraid to move to a cold climate!?!?!? It would have been roach free.

Bogley BigShot
    OH!!! And the wives of some men really scare me!

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes
    Another very irrational fear of mine and I didn't have it until I moved to TN is tornados. If I am stressed or sick I have nightmares about them. I have looked up the eye of tornado in my dream, had my kids ripped out of my arms, tried to save family members from cars being blown away by these beasts of nature, seen 10 touch down in my dreams at one time. Funny thing is we lived 5 years in TN and I never saw a real tornado, THANK GOD!! If I was a sleep and the wind picked up I would bolt up out of a dead sleep. Listen and if the wind sounded bad I would have to get up and check the news. They would track the storms and tell you exactly where a tornado could develop. I would be rivited to the TV unitl the storm passed. I drove Tyler crazy. We lived 45 min south of Nashville in Columbia TN. It must have been a good spot. The tornados would go just south of us or just north. In the 5 years I lived there we had some crazy weather, hail, wind driving rain every direction but the right way and even had straight line winds rip a bunch of trees out at the golf course and rip chimneys off our friends apartment complex, and part of the roof of of the small mall. But never a tornado.
    Having grown up in KS, my mom always had this fear. I can't remember how many nights I spent huddled in the closet under the stairs with the rest of my family (save for my dad who was outside watching the show). I was never really afraid of them and always wanted to be outside with my old man watching the twister.

blueeyes, my ex- used to have nightmares of tornadoes like you do. I researched it and found that it is often symbolic of somebody (or multiple people I suppose) in your life who is very unpredictable and destructive. I'm just sayin...

Oh yeah. I almost forgot about the claustrophobia. I have always had a touch of that, but now is bad enough that I have a hard time wearing suits & ties.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanimaka

Having grown up in KS, my mom always had this fear. I can't remember how many nights I spent huddled in the closet under the stairs with the rest of my family (save for my dad who was outside watching the show). I was never really afraid of them and always wanted to be outside with my old man watching the twister.

blueeyes, my ex- used to have nightmares of tornadoes like you do. I researched it and found that it is often symbolic of somebody (or multiple people I suppose) in your life who is very unpredictable and destructive. I'm just sayin...
    I would make my kids huddle in the closet too.

As for what the dream means... I would say your spot on. I don't have those dreams nearly as much as I use to. In fact I have not had one in a very long time. At the time those dreams were so intense there was someone and a relationship in my life that was unpredictable and destructive.

Only rattlesnakes.

I spent 3rd through 7th grade in Great Falls, Montana and the hillside near our home was a favorite place to ride our bmx bikes. Lots of close calls, and it's probably just the age and the exposure but it's the one thing that I'm still irrationally cautious about today.

Based on a few recent trip reports, Zion should be *fun* next weekend!

Ilanimaka

[quote="Deeps"]Ilanimaka