Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zion Rappel Accident

Zion Rappel Accident

Just a heads up.... KSL will have a rappelling accident in Zion on tonight. I saw the teaser and it looked like the final rap in Pine Creek.... big ass fall....

"Alex Cabrero: A guy rappelling in Zion NP fell 100 feet to the ground, but WALKED AWAY! His buddy got video of it. We'll show it on KSL 5 News at 10. ..."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i just saw it..... I hope my mom didn't. she's still conviced that canyoneering is a sin.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

Man survives 100-foot fall, catches it on tape
    June 18, 2009

LEHI -- A Lehi man fell more than 100 feet while rappelling at Zion National Park and walked away with barely any injuries.

Eric Schriever is experienced at rappelling, and admits he made some mistakes, but still can't believe he's alive to talk about it -- not to mention the fact that his friend videotaped the entire fall.

Some say being in Zion National Park is like being closer to a higher power, and Schriever isn't going to argue. "I know there's a God, because there is no other way that I should've come out of there. I was protected," he said.

He and his buddy were getting ready for a 300-foot rappel in the park this past Tuesday. Schriever went first while his buddy videotaped him. Right away, though, both knew something was wrong.

"I lose control and stop midway because there was a knot in the rope. So that saved me from falling even further," Schriever explained while watching the video.

But once he untied the knot, he couldn't stop. Schriever fell more than 100 feet, banging hard against the rock wall before dropping to the rocks below.

"I remember the first hit on my head, and it wasn't until I watched the video that I realized I hit at least two more times on the way down," he said.

In that split second, all Schriever could think of was his wife, two daughters and his unborn son, who is due in just two weeks. "I was like,

The friend: Hey, you ok?

Anyone know this guy? I'd really like to know what he meant by didn't use the right gear and rope.

Helmet? Check
    Harness? Check
    Rigging enough friction? NOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo..........

Wrong rope...WTF?

Looks like he cleared a tangle and had basically let go of his brake hand...I think the "wrong rope" and "not wrapping the safety line enough times" is a load of BS to save face that he fu**ed up and let go of the brake hand.

Quote Originally Posted by nonot
    Helmet? Check
    Harness? Check

Wrong rope...WTF?

Looks like he cleared a tangle and had basically let go of his brake hand...I think the "wrong rope" and "not wrapping the safety line enough times" is a load of BS to save face that he fu**ed up and let go of the brake hand.
    The lord is my brake hand and he has a plan for me.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Quote Originally Posted by nonot
    Helmet? Check
    Harness? Check

Wrong rope...WTF?

The lord is my brake hand and he has a plan for me.
    Let's see:

- 300' rappel. You start down and lose control...
    - A Miracle - there's a knot in the rope which stops you from going to the bottom - praise the Lord!
    - OK, now I'm ready to shake the knot out and continue out of control to the bottom.....

oops.

T

10. Likes SRG liked this post

rap his safety line around his rope? what does that mean?
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

WTF

maybe people should pay more attention to what they are doing..

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    O! O! I know this one... my total time rappelling is 3 hours, so don't take my word for it.

what is: a small rope that raps around the rappelling rope and hooks into the leg loop so if for some stupid reason you take your brake hand off the rope the safty line will hold it down and keep the break on....

Are you and expert rappeller?

No but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

Quote Originally Posted by theking648
    Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    O! O! I know this one... my total time rappelling is 3 hours, so don't take my word for it.

what is: a small rope that raps around the rappelling rope and hooks into the leg loop so if for some stupid reason you take your brake hand off the rope the safty line will hold it down and keep the break on....

Are you and expert rappeller?

No but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

ah yes, the prussik. that must be what they were refering too.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

That is one lucky guy. Can you say GLOVES!!!!!

No gloves rope burns, $14.99 on Mastercard. PRICELESS.

Glad he is ok.

Mark

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    That is one lucky guy. Can you say GLOVES!!!!!

No gloves rope burns, $14.99 on Mastercard. PRICELESS.

Glad he is ok.

Mark
    Or-----
    He could get some training and learn how to rappel correctly as to not heat your hand. I've done Englestead twice and never required a glove, and my hand never got hot. Now that's PRICELESS.

So knowing when to use a 8mm rope.
    knowing when to use an auto-bloc, more importantly--HOW(rarely).
    knowing how to lock off on rappel.
    knowing how to adjust friction on a 300' rappel.(especially 8mm)
    getting over your head on canyon selection--priceless

I'm sure all the bogleyfesters know about all these techniques(and more) as they head into Englestead.
    It's all fun and games until someone DIES.

I wondered how long it would take for you to respond.No matter how much training something can always go wrong. When it does ill take cowhide over flesh.

He's a lucky dude.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    I wondered how long it would take for you to respond.No matter how much training something can always go wrong. When it does ill take cowhide over flesh.
    Gloves may have prevented the blisters on his fingers, but unlikely they would have stopped him from falling. Key point is he should have rigged more friction for such a long rappel on 8mm rope.

Autoblock = false sense of security.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

I really don't have a problem with gloves, the problem is mis-use of gloves.
    If you already know how to properly control and change friction on rappel and just want a glove to protect your dishwashing softened hands--that's o.k.

If you want to use a glove as a mask, to hide the fact you don't know how to adjust proper friction, that will result in eventual problems.
    just sayin'

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    If you already know how to properly control and change friction on rappel and just want a glove to protect your dishwashing softened hands--that's o.k.

If you want to use a glove as a mask, to hide the fact you don't know how to adjust proper friction, that will result in eventual problems.
    just sayin'
    he did not do a good job of hiding...

T

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7

just sayin'
    he did not do a good job of hiding...

T

Seems kinda obvious from the video, huh.