Thread: Zion - Mystery Conditions

Zion - Mystery Conditions

Was wondering if anyone has been through recenty?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Jiveassmother went through on June 8 and says this:
    I got into Mystery and Das Boot and Left fork this weekend. It was good weather and great low temps for the hike up to Mystery from the bottom. We didn't see anyone in the canyon on Saturday and had a great time. The lake was dry and I lost the coin toss so I was the one that swam at the spring while my lucky partners stayed dry. I did notice that some of the rehab work they did at the last Zion Rondevous was working and some was not. The "new" first rap/downclimb looked like people were still walking around and there was even a cairn marking the erosion trail. The anchor looked great so who knows. We did have a less than average audience at the narrows rap, most likely due to the cold water and low daytime temps.
    So, I'd imagine, hot, dry (the "lake" is always dry it seems), and stay in the watercourse.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman
    Jiveassmother went through on June 8 and says this:
    I got into Mystery and Das Boot and Left fork this weekend. It was good weather and great low temps for the hike up to Mystery from the bottom. We didn't see anyone in the canyon on Saturday and had a great time. The lake was dry and I lost the coin toss so I was the one that swam at the spring while my lucky partners stayed dry. I did notice that some of the rehab work they did at the last Zion Rondevous was working and some was not. The "new" first rap/downclimb looked like people were still walking around and there was even a cairn marking the erosion trail. The anchor looked great so who knows. We did have a less than average audience at the narrows rap, most likely due to the cold water and low daytime temps.
    So, I'd imagine, hot, dry (the "lake" is always dry it seems), and stay in the watercourse.
    But it has rained recently, so I suspect the "lake" is in place, and might require a deep wade or short swim.

Mystery does not change much. It does not hold water except at the "lake", and the lower pools are springfed, so they do not change much. The death gully is... the death gully.

Tom

I had a friend go through on Friday 6/19, which was after the big rains, and he said the lake was dry and rest of the canyon was in typical conditions. Have an amazing time!