Thread: Beer on Sunday

Beer on Sunday

Man it is so nice to see stupid laws changed. I'm not really a drinker so no big deal but I just hate laws that are nothing more than religious control.

Way to go Logan City!

Logan Council OK's Sunday beer sales
    By Cache Valley Daily

Story Created: Jun 16, 2009 at 7:20 PM MDT

(Story Updated: Jun 16, 2009 at 11:18 PM MDT )

Beer will start flowing on Sundays in Cache Valley's largest community.

The Logan Municipal Council voted 4-0 to allow Sunday beer sales at their Tuesday council meeting and the law will take effect next week.

As expected, Logan Municipal Councilman Jay Monson abstained from voting. The motion to approve the ordinance was made by Herm Olsen and seconded by Laraine Swenson. There was very little discussion in a public hearing about the proposed change.

The change came after what some deemed a surprising amount of apathy from the community over the proposed change to liquor laws. In previous years, proposals to change Cache alcohol laws brought strong opinions from various sectors of the community. That wasn't the case this time.

Last year, both Nibley and Hyrum started allowing stores in those communities to sell beer on Sundays. For years, those seeking to purchase beer on Sunday would travel to Franklin, Idaho or Brigham City -- both communities where Sunday sales were legal.

This will mark the first time ever that Sunday sales will be legal in Logan, as Cache County used to be an entirely dry county.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I remember when they changed the law in Brigham to allow beer sales on Sunday. It wasn't a big deal then and I don't see it as a big deal now.

Even though I'm LDS and don't drink, I totally agree with anyone that says that Utah's liquor laws are screwed up. On the other hand, I was shocked at how liberally the alcohol flowed into the guts of the teenagers at my sister-in-law's wedding in New Jersey. I think a good happy medium is best.

No beer sales in Connecticut on Sunday's. Outside of football season, nobody complains.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    No beer sales in Connecticut on Sunday's. Outside of football season, nobody complains.
    Connecticut is Mormon majority too???

Re: Beer on Sunday

Logan Council OK's Sunday beer sales

I've never liked stocking up on Saturday. I'm too irresponsible to leave it alone.

Now if the Maverick down the hill from me were allowed to sell beer on Sundays.

There are no beer sales on any day here in Hyde Park.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Connecticut is Mormon majority too???
    No, I'm guessing Catholic