Thread: Hikes in Ogden

Hikes in Ogden

My wife and I get to spend a glorious hotel night in Ogden. She couldn't run the Ogden marathon and they would not give us our money back on the hotel so we changed it to this Friday. Any recommendations on a good hike to do in the area? Photography, views and a decent size hike are the goals.

Based on a site that Scout Master recommended, the bottom ones looked decent but I am open to any suggestions:

- Adams Canyon (A lot of people on a Saturday?)
    - Francis to Thurston (road open yet?)
    - Waterfall Canyon (A lot of people on a Saturday?)
    - Ben Lomond (are there a few different routes? Snow still on peak?)

Any thoughts for one representative hike for us who probably will not be hiking too much in the area in the future?

Thanks,
    Thomas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adams Canyon and Waterfall canyon may be crowed with people but the waterfalls are worth it.
    See you on the Trail

You could try the Indian Trail, it goes high along the Ogden Canyon. I don't think it's very long though, maybe a couple of miles? It should give you a great view of the waterfall there.

I've never done this, but I'm thinking you should start at Rainbow Gardens right there at the mouth of the canyon on 12th street. It will give you a little more to do after the hike, rather than starting at 22nd street.

My favorite in the Ogden area is Ben Lomond from North Ogden Divide. It is long but not that steep until near the top.
    I would also second the Indian Trail from the Ogden Canyon TH. If you can get a shuttle you can extend the hike to over 10 miles by hiking south along the Shoreline Trail to Beus Canyon.
    RP

I second the Ben Lomond hike. Great trail with some stellar views all along the way. I'm sure there's still some snow on the back of Ben Lomond proper, but the hike to the base of it should be clear. I'm sure that with some scrambling, the peak could be reached easily enough. There's a thread a bit further down this page that someone said they made it to the top already.

Edit: Here's the thread...http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17083

I just thought of Taylor Canyon. I think it starts at 27th street, I was thinking of actually doing a group invite for this in the next few weeks. I've never done it but I'm passing it a lot on a bike.

It goes up right below Mt Ogden I believe.

You've also got the trails up by Snow Basin, maybe for an easier hike start right across the street from Pineview Dam and go up Wheeler Creek.

if you want a great hike for excersize and great views you can hit maylans peak in ogden. you will climb up roughly 2000 feet and it is a steep hike that is a gerat workout with a rewarding view.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Thanks all. I was thinking that we could do something like Adams or Waterfall on Friday afternoon/night and then do Ben Lomond on Saturday. I'll check out the other suggestions as well.

That is hike on Friday, if my Lagoon work party doesn't wear me out! Never been there either. I'm used to Cedar Point though so I think I'll stick to the bumper cars or else I may be dissapointed!

Thomas

You could easily do Adams Canyon or Waterfall Canyon on Friday night and see 1/4 of the people you would on a Saturday.