Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kill Rattlesnakes

Kill Rattlesnakes

I don't see the need, is this what you do?

Quote Originally Posted by rread
    We did Orderville yesterday, came across a 4' rattlesnake, a little ways down from the first large chokestone. The snake was right in the middle of the watercourse. There were several people that were behind us, decided to kill it for the safety of others.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Kill Rattlesnakes

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzard

We did Orderville yesterday, came across a 4' rattlesnake, a little ways down from the first large chokestone. The snake was right in the middle of the watercourse. There were several people that were behind us, decided to kill it for the safety of others.
    What the heck?!
    NOOOOO! This is NOT the right thing to do!
    If these people were right behind you, couldn't you (I'm addressing the snake killer here) have simply warned them that a snake was coming up?

I think it's ridiculous to just kill creatures for no reason. And a snake being "in" your way is NOT a legitimate reason to kill it!

~Randi
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randi

What the heck?!
    NOOOOO! This is NOT the right thing to do!
    If these people were right behind you, couldn't you (I'm addressing the snake killer here) have simply warned them that a snake was coming up?

I think it's ridiculous to just kill creatures for no reason. And a snake being "in" your way is NOT a legitimate reason to kill it!

~Randi
    What she said. T

All it takes is a stick and a nudge and that Rattler is out of the way.

The number of nasty human diseases spread by rattlesnakes is very close to zero.

The number of nasty human diseases spread by rats is quite high.

Rattlesnakes eat rats. Please don't kill them.

Sarah, who has 6 pet snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahlizzy

The number of nasty human diseases spread by rattlesnakes is very close to zero.

I see your point, but I think they killed it because it was poisonous.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent K25
    All it takes is a stick and a nudge and that Rattler is out of the way.
    I agree with snake lover. I would probably sit and wait or move them out of the way. I see Kent as scary and dangerous but you don't see me killing him do you.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

Quote Originally Posted by theking648

I'd also add that killing it probably puts someone at far more risk of envenomation than leaving it alone. If the ethics of leaving no trace, respecting the environment, and letting a useful pest controller live doesn't convince, perhaps self-interest will. A rattlesnake is highly unlikely to bite a human unless provoked. Trying to kill it is ... kinda provocative.

I saw a bear in Orderville once.... true story.... we didn't kill it, it didn't kill us or anyone else.... everyone lived happily ever after....

I'd also add that killing it probably puts someone at far more risk of envenomation than leaving it alone. If the ethics of leaving no trace, respecting the environment, and letting a useful pest controller live doesn't convince, perhaps self-interest will. A rattlesnake is highly unlikely to bite a human unless provoked. Trying to kill it is ... kinda provocative.
    I agree, he increased his chances of getting bit by trying to kill it.

if your going to kill it you better eat it.. on that note does anyone know what snake tastes like?
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

Had to check:

Snakes are classified as non-game animals and are protected by Utah state laws. A person cannot collect or possess a live wild snake without receiving a Certificate of Registration from the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources. With human or domestic pet and livestock safety concerns,
    a venomous snake may be killed without a certificate.

It went on the say:

More than half of the reported snake bites were a result of someone trying to handle or kill the snake. It is always best to leave any areas
    where you encounter a venomous snake. This will greatly reduce your risk of being bitten.

Found here.

Just something to consider.

if your going to kill it you better eat it.. on that note does anyone know what snake tastes like?
    Rattlesnake tastes pretty good.... or maybe it's just the chief as everything I have ever tasted that Ron cooked was outstanding. If you want to try just about anything just call ahead and he'll probably cook it for you.

Buffalo Bistro
    http://www.visiteastzion.info/buffalobistro.html

305 N Main St
    Glendale, UT 84729

He also has a well stocked beer cooler.....

Now that we've had fun with this, perhaps, on a more serious note...

Rattlesnakes make a BIG EFFORT to not bite you. They rattle, when you are (generally) well out of range. They have figured out that you are too big to eat, and they just want to let you know that you should stay away from them.

So, WTF? Does rread REALLY BELIEVE the snake was dangerous and had to be killed for the safety of unknown people behind? I doubt it. But:

1. If true, RRead should stay in the city, because the woods are filled with dangerous things like rocks, trees, snakes, bears, mud, bees, other hikers...

2. If not true, then RRead is a cretin (dipshit having already been reserved for a different problem); please stay in the city. Also, killing animals is often the first sign of a certain derangement that really should be taken care of before RRead starts hurting people.

We VISIT the wildlands; don't kill the creatures that live there. It is impolite. Snakes can easily be moved aside with a stick. Or hang out a few minutes and let the other group know the snake is there and they should walk around. Even if the place was too narrow to walk around, you can harass it to a place where the snake will no longer block the canyon.

Etc. WTF?? who were the fellow cretins on this trip that allowed RRead to perpetrate this mischief? RRead deserves to be spanked, and to sit in the corner for a couplea days...

Tom

I'm willing to wager that Don will not take Blueeyes rappeling without a helmet again and nobody will ever discuss killing snakes or mosquitos while canyoneering.
    I promise the picture of the snake I posted in Das Boots was dead before I got there. But Bo was there the day before me.......

Mark

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I happen to know rread quite well. He is an exceptional person and a great partner to do canyons with. Judging someone for doing something that is legal, but contrary to your morals, might not be overly beneficial.
    But go ahead and bash away, he'll still stop in any canyon and give you the shirt off his back regardless. Someone I'm proud to call a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Judging someone for doing something that is legal, but contrary to your morals,
    is it legal to kill snakes in zion national park?

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    Judging someone for doing something that is legal, but contrary to your morals,
    is it legal to kill snakes in zion national park?
    apparently he wasn't in the park, Orderville is not entirely in the park. If you come down here sometime I can show you the exact point in Orderville that it becomes ZNP.

I was not there so I have no idea what happened. But I would imagine you are allowed to kill anything if you fieel you are in danger of harm.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    I was not there so I have no idea what happened. But I would imagine you are allowed to kill anything if you fieel you are in danger of harm.

Mark
    And theres nobody here that can give that answer.

But it sure is fun to speculate and bash someone you don't know.

I happen to know rread quite well. He is an exceptional person and a great partner to do canyons with. Judging someone for doing something that is legal, but contrary to your morals, might not be overly beneficial.
    But go ahead and bash away, he'll still stop in any canyon and give you the shirt off his back regardless. Someone I'm proud to call a friend.
    Good. Then YOU, old no seven, as a newly-carded member of the TJ Fan Club and Auxilary Helmet and Wildlife Protection Police, could go give RRead a nice a-talkin' to, and find out why he is killing non-threatening wildlife (or why he feels threatened by a lil' ol' snake) and perhaps suggest, in a nice way, that perhaps he should not do this again.

Mentioning that he is subject to the WRATH OF TOM might do it for em...

I expect a report on my desk in the morning...

Tom

COULD rread have done things differently? Sure. Would I have done things differently? Only to the extent that after killing the threatening rattlesnake I would have turned it into my next meal.

To be honest, I'd say that more people would have killed it than would admit it. Also, we don't know the circumstances under which it was killed. Did the following group have children? If so, then I applaud him for dispatching the snake and would hope he buried the head. But then again, if some of the folks here would have just used a stick to fling, chase, herd, or otherwise remove the snake to a distant location, then feel free to continue bashing somebody for making a judgment call. Since this is all online, there's certainly no way that what you post could come back and bite you in the @ss, right?