Thread: First time rappelling

First time rappelling

I went rappelling for the first time today. Bo Beck took me out on the rocks near Chuckawall in Paradise Canyon. I don't know if Bo noticed or not but I was trying to delay my first rappel. On my first repel I felt somewhat safe but untrusting of the equipment. As I stepped off I felt the support of the harness and didn't worry so much and just coasted on down. My only problem is my hobbit legs they naturally stick together so Bo kept reminding me to spread my legs thankfully (try to say that in an ungay way).

I made it to the bottom and was ready to go again. When I got back to the top Bo made me take off my safety brake rope and my ATC. I had a dumbfounded look on my face fallowed by a little kid voice "But... but.. why? I like it the way it is." I said. Don't fix something that's not broke right? But I did what I was told. I soon realized that I wouldn't be just rappelling I'd be crossing off stuff on the "what could go wrong and what to do checklist" lol. Bo showed me how to set up a Munter Hitch Belay. And I used that for the rest of the rappels until I used my ATC again with a double rope rappel.

The first spot was only 20ft if that and had a small slope to it. I did about 3 or 4raps on that and then we moved to one that was a little higher only 5-10ft higher but was more straight down and had a few parts where it curved inward. On my last rap Bo thought it would be funny to tie a not in the rope halfway down. As for me I didn't know he did this while I was busy climbing back up. I started my rappel and almost got to the point of no return when I saw the knot I went running back up. I kept trying to argue with Bo, but how am I to argue with Pops (Bo's new nick name) he's a SAR rock star. I soon figured out again that he had a point to make. I just wish he would tell me what it was before I start hanging by a rope. lol I got to the knot and I got stuck in an awkward position like I knew I would and Bo lowered me with the Munter Hitch on top.

Yes I learned a lot, especially where not to put my left hand/arm, and to keep my hobbit legs wide. Anyways we did 5 or 6 rappels. I don't really remember how many, it was all mixed into a fun, scary, and crazy blur. Yes I wore my helmet... I've been in enough crashes to realize that they do work. I told my friend Statton (who was there to watch me cry) to forget about pics and hold onto the rope. In case I did something stupid like for example take my right hand off the rope.

Statton at the base

I was playing in lightroom on this one.

many thanks to Bo beck(Pops) for your time, instruction, free stuff, and for not killing me.

I'll see you all at Bogleyfest... even if I have to hitchhike to get there.

http://www.silvercg.com/2009/06/14/f...me-rappelling/
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    YEAH!!!!!

You repelled more times. I only got to go once.

I still thinking that middle finger of three fingers of death is scarier then repelling!! Make that all three.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes
    YEAH!!!!!

You repelled more times. I only got to go once.

I still thinking that middle finger of three fingers of death is scarier then repelling!! Make that all three.
    I am not familiar with what is the 3 fingers of death is so I cannot make a judgement.
    I didn't go look up what canyons you signed up for in Zion. But if you are doing Pinecreek very first let me know if the above statement is still true after you do the start of the last rappel in Pinecreek.

Mark

Mark the three fingers of death are on the Bearclaw Poppy mt bike trail in St. George. I rode this with King in April and was to chicken to ride down anyone of the fingers on my bike. Still chicken and working my way up to it. I am ok to repel. That does not scare me nearly as much. I am going to go practice again on Wed.

Bogley BigShot
    Good Job

Big thumbs up for going rappelling for the first time, and especially for spelling it correctly.

Hooray.
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes
    Mark the three fingers of death are on the Bearclaw Poppy mt bike trail in St. George. I rode this with King in April and was to chicken to ride down anyone of the fingers on my bike. Still chicken and working my way up to it. I am ok to repel. That does not scare me nearly as much. I am going to go practice again on Wed.
    first finger is just like a ramp no drops

second finger (middle one) has one drop that is about 1 foot. I like to go right down the middle of the second finger becase there is 1 foot drop to flat and then a 1 foot drop to the slope.

third finger... haven't tried it but looks like only one 1 1/2 - 2 foot drop to slope.

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    Big thumbs up for going rappelling for the first time, and especially for spelling it correctly.

Hooray.
    I have to thank google for that.

that was only 25 feet so you'll proabably see me cry on the 100ft rap on pine creek

rappelling is addicting. now I want to go again an higher.

go big or go home right?
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

Quote Originally Posted by theking648
    rappelling is addicting. now I want to go again an higher.

Quote Originally Posted by price1869

Hooray.
    Oh great!!! Now I get crap for not spelling it right. BLAH BLAH BLAH. j/k spelling has never been my strong suit.

Quote Originally Posted by theking648
    that was only 25 feet so you'll proabably see me cry on the 100ft rap on pine creek
    I am no pro but I have done a few canyons. That last one in Pinecreek still catches my attention and gives me butterflies in my stomach. Such an awesome rap though!
    The man thong is wrong.