Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Time!

Quote Originally Posted by desotodave View Post
    Blue Eyes, where is that rap in AF Canyon? I have not done that one. How high is it?
    Maybe half a mile past the cave visitor's center. Parking is a small pull off on the left, then you walk back down canyon to the climbing spot. It's a bolted sport route that can be top-roped by scrambling up a crack behind the wall. I think it's close but shy of 100 feet. Probably closer to 90 feet. I've got a 60 meter climbing rope that I have used for a double-rope rappel there. When set with the middle of the rope at the anchor both halves will reach the bottom with rope to spare.
    Edit: The sport climb is only about half the height of the wall. You top-rope the route by scrambling up the crack, rappelling from bolts down to chains bolted into the wall about mid-way down. Set your climbing rope at the chains then rap to the bottom.

Where are you from? Hit me up in a PM or add me on Facebook and maybe I could meet you.
    Here's a map.
    Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=204821587750412566862.0004a90e9f524ae74c0ab&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=19>

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Don,

I am in Alpine. AF is my regular spot for teaching rappelling. I usually take people up to the Y and go to the spot just on the left hand side on the road toward Tibble fork. Going to be there tomorrow at about 6 with a bunch of newbs.

Dave

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Ask Don... he and Cody took me. I remember it being on the right side of the canyon as you drove up and I want to say Don told me it was 80ft. But my memory is seriously foggy on this. It was fun!

Edit:

Never mind. Been off the grid for a couple weeks now and using library computer (slow and I am very behind on posts)
    Chere'