Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Time!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar

First Time!

As the trip to Zion creeps closer and closer I was getting more nervous. I don
    Attached Images Attached Images              

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Helmets!

(Had to be said... I'm sure others will say it too.)

Way to go, Cher

Also, wear gloves, they really save your hands. Newbies (like me) always get the rope burn

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    [quote=Cirrus2000] Helmets!
    (Had to be said... I'm sure others will say it too.)

Way to go, Cher

no fair you got to go before I did.

looks like you had fun. but one question.... you would rather hang by a rope that could break at anytime. (just like in the movies ) instead of riding down 3 fingers of death on bearclaw poppy?

well I guess I'll see you at bogleyfest.... that is if i don't checken out.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

Re: First Time!

[quote=blueeyes]As he is showing me how these ropes are anchored up at the top he asks me.

Good for you for trying something that scared you! I think we should all do at least a couple things a year that scare the heck out of us.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

[quote=sarahlizzy][quote=blueeyes]As he is showing me how these ropes are anchored up at the top he asks me.

Awesome! Looks like you had a great experience. Kudos to Don and company. Your all set for Zion!

[quote=blueeyes][quote=sarahlizzy][quote=blueeyes]As he is showing me how these ropes are anchored up at the top he asks me.

Yeah, we should have had helmets. Funny; I

Oh, and about gloves. I don

[quote=Don]Oh, and about gloves. I don

Chere
    Santa is So proud of you
    See you on the Trail

[quote=ratagonia][quote=Don]Oh, and about gloves. I don

Quote Originally Posted by theking648
    one question.... you would rather hang by a rope that could break at anytime. (just like in the movies ) instead of riding down 3 fingers of death on bearclaw poppy?

well I guess I'll see you at bogleyfest.... that is if i don't checken out.
    Ummmm YES!!!! One fear at a time here. That drop on 3 fingers makes me want to throw up thinking about riding down it. Maybe.... someday...

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia

Even bike helmets are a LOT better than nothing.

Tom
    I actually did bring my bike helmet so I could wear it. But I left it in the car and didn't think about it. I was concentrating so hard on every word coming out of Don's mouth. Like I said I PROMISE I will always wear one from here on out. PROMISE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scout Master
    Chere
    Santa is So proud of you
    Thanks Santa!

A) Helmets - yeah, Don, I was surprised by safety guy. But I can see it, for sure. Funny how one can get complacent in a familiar place. I'm planning a scramble with a co-worker in a couple of weeks, and we've discussed how he needs to bring his bike helmet along for the... spicier bits. He's joking about bringing along his motorcycle helmet.

B) Gloves - I particularly like them in the North Wash skinnies, when using your hands for galumphing and stemming, etc. I need to have fingerprints available for my security clearance, so I don't want to wear them away. For the rapping, I like having them on a long, single, skinny rope rappel, but generally don't care to use them much.

C) Friction - this reminds me of when abirken and offspring were rapping the last drop in U-Turn at Moabfest. Alison went ahead of Ben. Ben was at the start of the rappel - thick rope, double strand. Lots of weight hanging on the brake end of the rope (50 feet or whatever.) I had to show him how to actually lift the rope and feed it into the rappel device, because he was too light to get down the rope. Well, he went over the edge, and his mom saw him... "Get your hand back! Hang onto the rope further back!" Well, normally yes, but... not always. There was a wee bit of panic, then parent/child tension for a moment, 'til I called down that he had to do it that way because there was too much friction.

Kev- Yes I was being a bossy mom. haha!! All I could see at that point was a horribly pinched finger or two. I was glad you yelled down to me that you told him to do it that way. Didn't even dawn on me at that point that his weight or lack of weight would affect the rappel. I think I am a glove person? So far, I prefer them b/c I'm not crazy about how hot my hands get on that rope. I may try cutting off the glove fingers in order to be more nimble on the next canyon like someone mentioned above.......

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    Kev- Yes I was being a bossy mom. haha!!
    It was really very cute! You could hear just how concerned you were - it was a stressful time for you, for sure! But all's well that ends well!

I sure hope you learned your lesson. Don't post photos in the canyoneering section unless you consult with somebody first.