Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't answer your door if you kive in Blanding today

But did I understand correctly that they found the sandals from digging up a baby mummy grave?
    Yes, most of this (other than arrowheads, matates, etc.) is found in the midden heaps, where bodies are also buried.

It sounds like several people want to make this an issue of big government picking on the small town folk, but for those that don't think that this is that serious, think of it this way.

How would you (meaning anyone that is a member of this site) feel if someone went out and dug up your dead parent, grandparent, daughter or whoever and busted open their coffins and stole their wedding rings, stripped them of their clothing, etc. and went out and sold them? I think the outcry would be huge if the shoe was on the other foot and someone went out and dug up the Blanding (or any other town) cemetary or something similar.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

James - First, it doesn't matter if you live in a small town or a big city, if the feds restrict access then everyone is up the creek. Second, it's not just the people who live in small towns who are starting to fear the interference of the federal government.

Edited to remove stuff I don't wish to endlessly argue about.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    it's not just the people who live in small towns who are starting to fear the interference of the federal government.
    Yeah you tea-baggin

Yes, indeed, watch out for the revolution by some folks down here - not me though. While I think the feds were a little over the top with some of their actions I don't have a problem with them doing something to protect their property. So, sorry, you don't get to lump me in with some of the angry folks down here.

As for restricting access to public lands it's not mentioned in the stories. But, anyone who isn't using their ass for a hat should be able to see some possible consequences and understand that when public lands are abused in any way then the feds have a tendency to impose more restrictions, policies, and rules. You don't have to take my word for it though. Do a little research on why we have a permit system in ZNP, do a little research on why roads are being closed across the nation. Do a little research on wildlife management. Hell, do a little research on anything before you start typing next time and you just might learn something.

But, anyone who isn't using their ass for a hat should be able to see some possible consequences and understand that when public lands are abused in any way then the feds have a tendency to impose more restrictions, policies, and rules.
    I agree.... no matter how this ends I'm pretty sure it will end up bad for me, Joe Six-pack..... it always does....

......which really sucks when you think about it because the only thing I have ever taken is a picture.

......which really sucks when you think about it because the only thing I have ever taken is a picture.
    I bet you've taken a leak too.

Quote Originally Posted by tmartenst
    I bet you've taken a leak too.
    Nah, he leaves those.

As for restricting access to public lands it's not mentioned in the stories. But, anyone who isn't using their ass for a hat should be able to see some possible consequences and understand that when public lands are abused in any way then the feds have a tendency to impose more restrictions, policies, and rules. You don't have to take my word for it though. Do a little research on why we have a permit system in ZNP, do a little research on why roads are being closed across the nation. Do a little research on wildlife management. Hell, do a little research on anything before you start typing next time and you just might learn something.
    Well let me be the first one to tell you the times are a chanin

If you would read my posts carefully and thoughtfully you would see that I'm not opposed to some regulation. I'm definitely not the anti-fed nutbag that you seem to think. I'm simply dreading the day when the hoops that one has to jump through become too numerous to make it worthwhile. Or even worse, the day when there are no hoops at all to jump through because there is no access.

[b]Another suicide in American Indian artifacts looting case
    Federal raid

Archeologists are no more than "licensed" grave robbers.
    Many of our artifacts will never ever be seen by anyone. They are locked up in museum storage facilities all the way to Europe. How sad.
    I recently stopped at a roadside dig site right outside of Great Basin Natl park. Nothing remains. They concreted the areas over. The artifacts, some even were considered toys of children are never going to be viewed by you or me. Curious, I went to the Great Basin Natl Park visitor's center hoping to see a shadowbox display or some information. Bupkis. They know nothing of the wereabouts of the artifacts of that dig site.
    The one they are doing in Zion? Where will we view the artifacts or the
    notes they are taking? hmmmm you have to pay over 100 dollars to help
    sherpa the site each year. hush hush The Govt has flooded lake powell before they could even get everything out in a sensible, decent manner.
    Many artifact couldn't be retrieved before the waters buried them forever.

Can you go see the stuff at U of U? unless you are an archeologist, I think not. I've been here 11 years and never been invited to a showing
    or presentation. Yay govt!!

We, sadly have run roughshod over the natives since we landed,
    and will continue to disrespect. What if they came into my house and stole my family's historical momentos and tools? They wouldn't....
    We would
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    bump

reportedly the informant source committed suicide yesterday

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9870909
    Quote Originally Posted by KSL article
    Source in artifact case apparently commits suicide
    March 2nd, 2010 @ 4:46pm
    SALT LAKE CITY -- The undercover operative who helped federal officials build a case against more than two dozen people for allegedly looting American Indian artifacts in the Four Corners area has apparently committed suicide.

This development has been stunning for people on all sides of this complex legal battle. Prosecutors still haven't confirmed the man who committed suicide is their informant; a spokeswoman says they "will not discuss confidential sources."

But the death is giving defendants new hope of overturning their cases. The name and age of a man who shot himself Monday night in Holladay matches that of the informant. . .

(more at the link)

I guess the self righteousness of ratting people out wasn't so satisfying after all.

No it was the gun's fault.

James

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000

James
    I heard it was alcohol related

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000

James
    I heard it was alcohol related

Another artifacts case suicide? Source in artifacts case dead