Thread: Zion National Park -- a spiritual place

Zion National Park -- a spiritual place

Zion National Park centennial
    Wharton: Zion National Park -- a spiritual place

By Tom Wharton - Salt Lake Tribune

The half-mile trail leading to the Zion Canyon Overlook seemed especially crowded for a late March day as families, youngsters, seniors and couples scrambled across its dusty path.

Stopping occasionally to chat, I met a couple from Buffalo who took the train across the United States and then rented a car to reach this spot. A family of Spanish speakers smiled as we kept crossing paths. They left their car lights on accidentally after riding through the tunnel and I volunteered to give them a jump start. Other languages, perhaps French, maybe Portuguese, were also being spoken as happy tourists posed for photos.

One of the great things about visiting a popular national park is the universality of the experience. I was served by a Polish waitress in the lodge, watched a volunteer with an English accent in the visitor center give my granddaughter her junior ranger badge and kept meeting foreign visitors.

I know this because Zion, which is celebrating its national park centennial this year, has played such a big part in my life.

It was the first Utah national park I visited when I first drove through its long tunnels as a lonely 20-year-old.

My late wife and I spent the first two nights of our honeymoon camping here in 1972. She was trying to turn me into an outdoor lover but didn't help her cause when we climbed to the top of Angels Landing on a hot June day with no water.

There are few trails in the park I haven't explored. I've backpacked to Kolob Arch, walked up the Virgin River to the Zion Narrows, rappelled into the Subway and explored Coal Pits Wash.

I've watched as snow covered Checkerboard Mesa on a Thanksgiving weekend and as a late summer monsoon storm created waterfalls nearly everywhere. Zion was one of the last national parks my late wife visited before her death. We hiked the Watchman Trail, her once sturdy body struggling with the combination of cancer and chemo.

I had to take my second wife to the park as soon as I could. Seeing her walk up the Riverside trail with her nephew, his wife and two young kids proved that it is possible to see an old place in a new way by viewing it through the prism of different sets of eyes.

Last March, I waited patiently in the South Campground for a rare family reunion with four children, two daughters-in-law, one son-in-law and six grandkids. We hiked, watched the kids get dirty and wet, laughed and told stories around the campfire late into the night.

After reading a couple of dozen stories about Zion submitted by Tribune readers for the centennial celebration, it's obvious that I am not alone in my feelings for this place. On warm March weekends, first surrounded by strangers from all over the world and then by kids and grandkids, I realized that Zion is a spiritual place. I can only marvel at the wisdom and foresight it took 100 years ago when few visited this land of towering sandstone cliffs for someone to see its value and set it aside so millions of us can now enjoy its largely unspoiled views.

http://www.sltrib.com/outdoors/ci_12521623

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Good article! That's kinda how I felt when I first saw it. I recal thinking " this is a holy place and I must explore it entirely".
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

zion is indeed beautiful and peaceful.
    EXCEPT... for the raging drunkard college students who seemed to be on some kind of field trip expedition to the Narrows last summer.
    They were totally sloshed and running through the canyon with backpacks filled with beer and laughing hysterically that they hadn't "spilled any" after falling several times. They were making a HUGE racket (which echoed) and making up games on the spot i.e. "wall races" and in general making asses of themselves.

It was hard enough to keep myself upright in the current/slippery rocks while sober! And some of them were barefoot. I have no idea how they had gotten so far inward.

blah.

I do plan to go back, however. i want to do the subway.
    Hopefully it was an isolated incident.
    "I've allotted one hour for recreational activity. There's no time for irrelevant conversation. Fun will now commence." - Seven of Nine

Quote Originally Posted by Seven
    zion is indeed beautiful and peaceful.
    EXCEPT... for the raging drunkard college students who seemed to be on some kind of field trip expedition to the Narrows last summer.
    They were totally sloshed and running through the canyon with backpacks filled with beer and laughing hysterically that they hadn't "spilled any" after falling several times. They were making a HUGE racket (which echoed) and making up games on the spot i.e. "wall races" and in general making asses of themselves.

It was hard enough to keep myself upright in the current/slippery rocks while sober! And some of them were barefoot. I have no idea how they had gotten so far inward.

blah.

I do plan to go back, however. i want to do the subway.
    Hopefully it was an isolated incident.
    Oooooo if you liked the Narrows, I have news for you. You will love the Subway. As for the drunkard college students, Don was that you??? (Dude, just kidding. Time for a Utah Valley lunch again??) I have been to Zion many times and I have never experienced that. The only place in Zion I really get annoyed is the Back Country Desk waiting to access the park. But that is a different discussion. The more skills you obtain and the further into the back country you go the less contact you will have with anyone. Also, the bottom section of the narrows where the river walk ends is VERY heavily traveled, particularly to where Orderville comes in. You just have to accept that as how it is, crowded. I too have encountered annoying people there but only there. Most annoying people won't go too far off trial in my limited experience. Honestly, no where else in Zion have I experienced anything like you describe. Finally, more in response to your introduction in the Newbies section, I have taken my wife to Zion a few times. She is NOT an outdoorsy lady. She goes for me and to be with me. Just do like we do (tell your husband/ significant other to pay attention). Play all day in the park and get good and dirty. Then swim and sleep at a nice hotel in Springdale after a nice dinner at a nice restaurant. That cures any icky, dirty, yucky pot hole water or bugs, or whatever.... etc. Take lots of photos having fun. I promise the memory is often better than the actual experience.
    Life is Good

In response to the article. I too know how this feels. It does my soul good to be there. I was that the Canyon Overlook two weeks ago after renewing my Express permit thing in person . I had just had my knee scoped and was going to do Pine Creek to test it but due to the weather I opted out. I instead went up the tourist trail to Canyon Overlook. I detected at least four languages being spoken by the tourists. I tried to look into the faces of those I passed and without exception, except the really big dude who looked like he was about to stroke out, everyone was happy yet seemed a bit subdued. At the top most were talking softly without signs telling them to do so or a ranger shushing them to be quiet. It was quiet remarkable. As a canyoneer, I had forgotten that for many, the first sight of the park is a remarkable one and even the paved paths are special places to many. On the way back from the Tunnel, I started noticing the many people filming the drive so as to preserve every moment there. I agree, Zion is a special place. Worthy of the name and the status of a National Park.
    Life is Good

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I too have encountered annoying people there but only there. Most annoying people won't go too far off trial in my limited experience.
    So most of the annoying people in Zion are "on" trial?(you attorneys)

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I too have encountered annoying people there but only there. Most annoying people won't go too far off trial in my limited experience.
    So most of the annoying people in Zion are "on" trial?(you attorneys)
    Whoopsiedaisy..... This is what happens when I am working late and taking a break on Bogley.
    Life is Good