Thread: my listing on craiglist - is this reply a scam?

Blog Entries

my listing on craiglist - is this reply a scam?

So I have my engagment & wedding rings for sale (just recently called off my engagment due to her not getting over her ex-bf) on Craigslist and I have probably received over 7 replies in just 2 days about it. 6 of them are frauds, but this one, I can't tell and he wants to pay via paypal.

what do you guys think?

"i just came across your rings here and if is still ready for sale get back to me with your paypal email address and i would offer you $2700.00usd including shipping and insurance cost via USPS Global Express mail international or TNT private courier as well.so kindly send me your paypal email address and i would remit the fund soon as possible."

then I replied back with this:

"wow, your the 6th person to get back to me today about the ring. Unfortunately, all of them have been fake. What makes you different? Besides I was asking for 2500, not 2700, so that's the first red flag."

then he replied with this:
    "i want you to ship the item out via usps global express mail or TNT private courier so i add 200 to the shipping ok,so send me your paypal email address so that i can remit the fund, ok?"

My instinct is it's another fraud - and if it is - my respect for Craigslist isn't looking so fair anymore. I have MUCH better success with ebay than craigslist and even KSL classifieds by 10x. But maybe I'm wrong with this one (or maybe its just wishful thinking)....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Fraud Jman, Fraud. If they can't write something in normal English, 99.9 percent of the time it is a fraud. For instance, when they start their reply with "greetings" or "USD" or "kindly send"...

Absolutely a scam, run away. I get the same style on KSL and Craigslist ads, pretty clever sometimes, though.

Wim
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Blog Entries
    thanks guys for the second opinion!

I mean that's what I was initially thinking that it was a scam (ie the grammar errors, other skew comments, not caring about the rings, and refering it to the second time as "item", but this one seemed different.

I guess I was seeing as him paying to paypal as more genuine, but then again I have heard stories of people reclaiming their payment and say "the item was not delivered, etc" when it actually was delivered....

So much for my wishful thinking...

Anyone recommond anyplace, anyone to sell diamond rings to - tried ebay for 2weeks. Nothing. Tried KSL for 3 weeks - nothing. Now on craigslist - nothing so far. Not even on genuine reply.

Good thing the jewler will do a trade-in but I rather just sell it. Not getting engaged any time soon, that's for sure.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Sadly you won't recoupe what you paid for them if you try to sell them. People who buy rings second hand are looking for a deal, not what you paid for them (maybe you knocked the price way down I don't know). Best bet put them in a safety deposit box and forget them until the real deal comes along... and someday she will. :) Then upgrade.

Plus Paypal has been generally finding in the favor of the buyer lately.

The buyer claims they received a package that was empty, blah blah blah and Paypal reverses the charge. You're broke and without rings or recourse.

I think you need to sell them locally. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes
    Sadly you won't recoupe what you paid for them if you try to sell them. People who buy rings second hand are looking for a deal, not what you paid for them (maybe you knocked the price way down I don't know). Best bet put them in a safety deposit box and forget them until the real deal comes along... and someday she will. :) Then upgrade.
    Honestly, if you can get along without the money, that's the best advice. Otherwise, you will get hosed. My wife and I designed our rings and had them made from a couple of older rings - that's a great way to go, too.