Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chubby Scouts (& Scoutmasters) forced to stay home.

Chubby Scouts (& Scoutmasters) forced to stay home.

A new Boy Scouts of America (BSA) national policy that goes into effect Jan. 1, 2010, will preclude Scouts considered overweight according to a standard Body Mass Index chart from participating in high adventure activities that take them more than 30 minutes away from emergency medical help.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_12522444?IA...www.sltrib.com

That means Russel is out:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

They would go and announce this on National Donut day....
    Life is Good

There's always the band camp

"Always look at the bright side of life"

BMI is an archaic way of determining physical fitness. Heck, there are a lot of skinny guys who are in far worse shape than some football player type. If they want to do this, they should go by body fat percentage, heart rate on a stress test, and a few other things as better indicators of overall health.

BSA needs a No Fat Dudes bumper sticker.

I really find this interesting. Isn't part of the reasoning behind scouting to get the boys into the woods and off the couch? It seems like the fat will only get fatter and the boy scouts will just have fewer scouts. Or you will have less options of where the troops can go because of the fatty\fatties and the boys will only resent him\them for it. I'm really curious to see how this plays out.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

This is a risk analysis / liability issue, plain and simple for the BSA. I think the BSA is tired of out of shape leaders kicking the bucket, rescues due to exhaustion...etc. I do think the BMI index is bunk as far as being a standard, however. I am over the limit but can out-hike almost all my scouts/ventures with ease. I could stand to lose a couple of pounds but my range for my height is 148 to 195 lbs. My hunch is that if I were 148 I would be a significant risk. On the bright side I would have a role in a prisoner of war film. At 195 lbs my wife told me I looked too skinny. That was a couple of years ago when I was pushing for new life insurance at the best rates. So at 205 I flunk but feel great and hike and canyoneer all over the place. As for the scouts, funny thing is that I have assisted as many bean pole kids as I have heavy kids. The measure ought to be fitness for the kids and fitness and common sense, and outdoor training/experience for the leaders.

One more point, this only applies to the high adventure type activities. Not the organized scout camps that you drive to. Problem is that the high adventure activities are the funnest and best experiences for the boys imho. I wonder how/if they will enforce this? As a guideline the BMI is fine. As a rule? Arbitrary and not fine. My hunch is that Karl Malone in his prime would fail as would many other low body fat athletes who have muscle on their bones.
    Life is Good

I think that the 50 milers are very often poorly planned. Hiking 50 miles and over a few passes is very different to a leader than it is to a 12 year old or an out of shape 12 year old.

Furthermore- many 12 year olds don't know what to pack. And/or their moms get involved and burden them down with a bunch of stuff they don't need. (you don't need 2 changes of clothes and pajamas for a 50 miler).

Scout troops would be make a 20 mile hike a pre-requisite for those doing high adventure or 50 milers.

Around 15 years ago a fellow Scoutmaster was turned away from Philmont Scout reservation and not allowed to hike with his troop because he was overweight. Point being this is not really a new policy just being pushed down a notch or two. The fact is BSA has very little influence on what a troop does when it is not done on their property. The BSA owns and operates a dozen or so High adventure bases around the country where they drastically overcharge troops to do the same thing they can do in other places if they have qualified and experienced leaders. It will be scouts and leaders attending these High adventure bases that will be the most affected. The rest of us will just have to choose weather we are healthy enough to meet the guidelines and what to do with boys who are overweight.
    According to the new Health form I cannot weigh over 226 pounds. Well I weighed in this morning at 230 pounds. So I have to decide if I want to conform to this policy or just say home.
    I
    See you on the Trail

I have been a scout leader for years and I usually have enough trouble getting enough leadership to accompany me and my boys. I of course believe this rule to be ridiculous and if the Boy Scouts start asking me for the weight and height of my boys are trip reports, I am going to be pretty upset.

[quote=Scout Master]Around 15 years ago a fellow Scoutmaster was turned away from Philmont Scout reservation and not allowed to hike with his troop because he was overweight. Point being this is not really a new policy just being pushed down a notch or two. The fact is BSA has very little influence on what a troop does when it is not done on their property. The BSA owns and operates a dozen or so High adventure bases around the country where they drastically overcharge troops to do the same thing they can do in other places if they have qualified and experienced leaders. It will be scouts and leaders attending these High adventure bases that will be the most affected. The rest of us will just have to choose weather we are healthy enough to meet the guidelines and what to do with boys who are overweight.
    According to the new Health form I cannot weigh over 226 pounds. Well I weighed in this morning at 230 pounds. So I have to decide if I want to conform to this policy or just say home.
    I

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don

<One of these guys is drinking root beer. See you on the trail!
    Would that be the one left standing?

Well, if it begins being part of the Tour Permit, all of us guys who are a little muscular, or a tad overweight will either be forced to lie, or do without the Tour Permit. I'm no longer a Scout leader, but I still resent being told I'm not fit when I've done fitness tests that put me in the top 5 percent of 20 year olds, and I'm 49! And I wouldn't want overweight kids to be blamed for groups of Scouts not being able to go to a fun camp. Still, the Boy Scouts has always been a fitness oriented organization and should remain so--just not by BMI means of testing it.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    I have been a scout leader for years and I usually have enough trouble getting enough leadership to accompany me and my boys. I of course believe this rule to be ridiculous and if the Boy Scouts start asking me for the weight and height of my boys are trip reports, I am going to be pretty upset.
    It's on the new health forms. Required. I have a hefty boy in my troop and I have to sit him and his obese mom down and tell him I am worried about his weight. We are planning a overnight backpack and by the test hike we went on a couple weeks ago, he won't make it. We talked about having his dad commit to coming along if his son wants to go. That way we don't have to be babysitting him the whole time. Who knows.
    The man thong is wrong.

A while ago, when I was a boyscout, the generally theory we operated under was "helping others", not excluding them.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Jaxx-
    That sounds like a conversation that I'm glad that I do not have to have. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan
    A while ago, when I was a boyscout, the generally theory we operated under was "helping others", not excluding them.
    x2 That is how I view it too Redman!

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan
    Not exactly applicable here with the weight issue but doesn

Speaking of chubby boy scouts......

[quote=Don]Not exactly applicable here with the weight issue but doesn
    The man thong is wrong.