Thread: Capitol Reef with the Kiddies

Capitol Reef with the Kiddies

We took off from Orem late Thursday afternoon and made it to Fish Lake just after the sunset. We quickly set up camp and It was a bit chilly as expected when camping at 8800ft in may. This was the maiden voyage for my new Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8. I wanted to take lots of photos of stars but the clouds were in the way all weekend.

We made it to Fruita early Friday morning and set up in the campground. After spending a bit of time walking around the barn we parked at the visitors center and hiked up to the first water fall in Sulphur Creek. The water was ankle deep and refreshingly cool.

After Sulphur Creek we drove around to the east side of the park and spent some time looking for some campsites outside the park for future trips to the area. We forded across the Fremont and started to drive towards Cathedral Valley but turned around due to the approaching thunderstorms. So we took a quick swim at the Fremont waterfall then spent some more time walking around Fruita.

Beyond Notom

The storm rolled in around 8pm so I rushed up to Panorama Point and got some shots of the lightning in the the distance. The rain came down and we got a great lightning and thunder show from our camp site.

First thing Saturday we hiked up to Hickman Bridge.

At this point my 5 year old was begging to hike in the water again. My wife drove me up to the Chimney and dropped me off then drove back down to Fruita to hike up Sulphur Creek. I hiked to the Creek and followed it down to meet up with them. I did this hike at a very fast pace and ended up at the visitor center in under two hours. I am exited to go back later this year when things cool off and spend the better part of the day wondering down the creek.

First waterfall

Second waterfall

Later that day I dropped my wife off at the head of Grand Wash and drove around to the other side of the reef and hiked up to meet her.

That night the clouds again were too thick for star trails but I did a bit of painting and some some more high ISO shots of the sky.

Capitol Reef has quickly become my favorite national park in Utah.
    More pics here - http://summit42.com/wp/capitol-reef-may-2009
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Capitol Reef with the Kiddies

Excellent TR and (of course) photos! I like this one, particularly:

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42

Great stuff. We were at Fish Lake and Capital Reef last weekend too.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

yeah, sweet stuff. I love the last one with the lit up tent. I love capital reef. I am hoping to visit this year. Thanks for the TR
    The man thong is wrong.

I'll have to check out that Tokina lens before I buy a UWA soon....
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Capitol Reef.

http://bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17392

Let's face it - I'm just jealous, cuz I won't be getting there for months... Four at least.

The shot with the tent lit up is pretty sweet, but this is my fav.

Nice shots Summit42. Great lighting.

Be careful or one day you'll look at all of your photos and realize you are not in your own life. I'm always the one pressing the button.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

really nice photos summit, espeially the clouds over the road.
    signature

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    The shot with the tent lit up is pretty sweet, but this is my fav.

yeah mine too. awesome shots.

are you taking bracketed shots or are you extracting from a single photo in photoshop?

hope to catch some in powell next month.
    "I've allotted one hour for recreational activity. There's no time for irrelevant conversation. Fun will now commence." - Seven of Nine

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I'm with the barn crowd, incredible shot.

Thanks everyone.
    But your all suckers.. my photos are "gimmicky" and "trendy"

Quote Originally Posted by IntrepidXJ
    I'll have to check out that Tokina lens before I buy a UWA soon....
    I just love my Tokina 11-16 and I was able to get it and a sigma 18-200 for almost the same price as the canon EF-S wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven
    are you taking bracketed shots or are you extracting from a single photo in photoshop?
    hope to catch some in powell next month.
    Bracketed - I would need to look at the RAW files but I am pretty sure this was shot around -3 -1 +1 (AEB)
    Processed in Photomatix (detail enhancer and tone mapping ) then sent off to Lightroom2 for a little crop, sharpening, and contrast adjustment.

Here's another Barn shot with some Mule Deer.

I need to learn my camera more. My bracketing starts at 0 and goes equal distance both ways. ie +1/-1 +2/-2 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    I need to learn my camera more. My bracketing starts at 0 and goes equal distance both ways. ie +1/-1 +2/-2 etc.
    Right - you set then spacing on the menu then when you get out of the menu you can shift the spacing up or down. Make sure you use the two second timer on the XSi or else you will need to click the button three times - once for each frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    Right - you set then spacing on the menu then when you get out of the menu you can shift the spacing up or down. Make sure you use the two second timer on the XSi or else you will need to click the button three times - once for each frame.
    Ahh-got it Bill thanks.
    It looks like you have to be in either, Av,Tv,P mode. Doesn't work on M?

Ahh-got it Bill thanks.
    It looks like you have to be in either, Av,Tv,P mode. Doesn't work on M?
    Right, I shoot most everything in AV mode aside from my night photos.. those area always manual.