Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Favorite Rock Art Panel!

Not necessarily my favorite, but certainly high on the list. Snow Canyon Petroglyphs discovered up high as I was doing a first ascent on a climb in the early 90's.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot

Petroglyph Point at Lava Beds National Monument. Here's one piece:
    Name:  petrobug..jpg
Views: 747
Size:  17.9 KB
    For more photos and a video of related rock art in the monument see:
    http://explore.globalcreations.com/i...ican-rock-art/

I'm surpised no one has mentioned All American Man yet. It has got to be one of the coolest pictographs out there.

Name:  AAMAN2..jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  78.6 KB

(The photo above came from below as I don't have a photo of the pictograph):

http://indra.com/~dheyser/anasazi/anasazi_a.html
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

utah rock art makes into tarheel art museum:

Paintings in America:
    Utah's Rock Art Photographed by Goodloe Suttler

On View January 14 through March 20, 2011

Painted, pecked, and incised images from many different cultures and periods may be found in thousands of cave and cliff sites across Utah's Colorado Plateau. This exhibition showcases photographs by Goodloe Suttler of the astonishing "Barrier Canyon Style" rock paintings, probably the oldest of the rock art traditions found in the region (with origins perhaps dating to around 5,000 BCE).

The powerful iconic quality of these enigmatic images of spirit figures, animals, and humans prompts reflection on the sources of the urge to paint, as well as consideration of the status of this oldest "indigenous" art.

In presenting The Oldest Paintings in America, the Ackland is also considering the role of photography and digital enhancements in not only documenting, but also interpreting ancient rock art. A number of works pair unenhanced photographic images with versions that have been altered using technology developed by NASA in 2004 for the Mars Rover's photos. The enhanced versions are not attempts to imagine original colors; they are intended to help researchers better see faded or superimposed motifs. But these techniques prompt the viewer to ask what is the effect of the photographer's choices? Does technical sophistication -- and even enhancement -- aid in full understanding?

Click here for a complete list of exhibition-related programs.

This exhibition was curated by Peter Nisbet, Chief Curator, Ackland Art Museum, and is made possible by the William Hayes Ackland Trust and friends of the Ackland Art Museum. We thank Goodloe Suttler for his collegial cooperation in making this exhibition possible.

Images: Goodloe Suttler, Buckhorn Wash Diptych 5. Digital color prints (unaltered and digitally enhanced). Lent by the photogra

Quote Originally Posted by HighPlainsPhotographer View Post
    Does rock art from NM count
    I hope so...

Name:  Devil & bird..jpg
Views: 922
Size:  134.1 KB

Name:  Galisteo panel..jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  100.5 KB

Stylized Serpents

Stylized Serpents, about 10 feet long, at the Newspaper Rock Petroglyph Site off the Red Dot Trail in White Rock Canyon. Los Alamos County, New Mexico. I really like the court-jester style hat and unusual head on the serpent on the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images