Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Status of Oak Creek Access

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeps
    What do think the split is between ZAC and Mr. Bird? 50/50? 60/40?
    I don't know and have not asked, but in most cases like this I have seen the venue fee be about 10% of the total.

Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I am personally qualified to do all the Oak Creeks without permission or the ZAC. I watched the movie at the back country desk last Friday. I have lost all desire to have an impact on the environment, so much so I just may not enjoy myself.

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru
    Then i would make people pay me what the park permits cost 5 bucks a head.
    I'm no lawyer but I do know this.... if you start charging for admittance you open yourself up to liability issues. I'm guessing the fact that ZAC has the ability to cover this guys insurance concerns, does not make a nuisance of themselves, and provide him with a small stipend is why they are allowed to guide the route.

You guys always have a tendency to focus on the dollars and that is normally only part of the equation.

So what im getting out of this is you need a permit to go down this/these canyons... And to get this permit you need to go through ZAC... and the cost of this permit is $500.00??? lol what??? Did ZAC take lessons from the park on pemits?! Sure sounds like it to me. I have spent well over $1000.00 at ZAC for some reason... Where is my oak creek voucher!!! I thought a few people didnt agree with permit systems?! How much is a tresspassing ticket? May be cheaper than the $500 dollar permit lol.

I kid... Kinda... I would never treaspass onto private property.

Now if you will excuse me I will step back into my lurking shadows.

. . .

Quote Originally Posted by frank'n'beans
    So what im getting out of this is you need a permit to go down this/these canyons... And to get this permit you need to go through ZAC... and the cost of this permit is $500.00???
    If that's what you are getting you have it wrong..... there are no permits for this route. The route is on private property (allegedly all on Jim Bird's property). ZAC worked out a deal with Bird that allows them to guide on his property. The only way to currently access the canyon is to hire ZAC as your professional canyon guide.

Still sounds like a permit lol. To go down this canyon you have to sign papers, follow someone, and pay them to do so. If you don't follow those directions you MAY be fined.(If caught) Just really sounds like the permit system to me.

Kind of
    . . .

I guess my thing is...... I really don't understand why everyone is picking on ZAC in this deal.... Bird closed his property to canyoneering. ZAC saw an opportunity to make a little coin as a private company and took it, hard for me to fault ZAC for that.

Now should ZAC have tried to negotiate access for all of us? It would have been nice, but that is not their job. Seems to me if the canyoneering community wants access everyone needs to stop bitching and see what can be done to open the route back up. Someone needs to take the lead on this.... Maybe some type of service project each year to clean up the route would get things rolling in a positive direction.

Just my 2 cents....

Your right Ice I really like all the people at ZAC and their services. But the only way your able to get down that canyon is to pay lots of money that I dont have and I'm sad about that lol. Mabe ZAC could offer a cheaper trip for returning customers!

But its still lame the guy cut off access. Mabe he would be hip to the service project.
    . . .

I'd still like to see a plot plan of who actually owns what up at Oak Creek.... that would be a great first step for a group seeking access and it should be public record I'd guess... I always take it with a large grain of salt when someone tells me they own everything as far as you can see in either direction....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Now should ZAC have tried to negotiate access for all of us? It would have been nice, but that is not their job. Seems to me if the canyoneering community wants access everyone needs to stop bitching and see what can be done to open the route back up. Someone needs to take the lead on this.... Maybe some type of service project each year to clean up the route would get things rolling in a positive direction.
    Someone who combines a soup

I have already had my turn in the barrel....

from the Washington County Recorder's Office

http://maps.washco.utah.gov/imf/imf....te=washco_main

My neighbor (though I don't know them personally) owns 12/20ths of the undivided parcel, of which Washington County owns 1/20th, as well as several other people/families. The South Fork/Eye of the Needle I understand is on the undivided 20 acre parcel.

All the beta I have seen enters from the end of the road in Kolob Pines, travels through the church property to the canyon...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Hold my glasses, I'm going to jump!

I'd still like to see a plot plan of who actually owns what up at Oak Creek.... that would be a great first step for a group seeking access and it should be public record I'd guess... I always take it with a large grain of salt when someone tells me they own everything as far as you can see in either direction....
    I made this from this website:

http://maps.washco.utah.gov/imf/imf....te=washco_main

Hopefully I got the right place. This is Oak Creek just above where it joins up with Kolob Creek.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Blog | FB

Not sure if this helps any but back on toms website it has a map of the surrounding land and plots of who owns them. I am pretty sure thay the Reber piece of land is a very good friend of mine. He has told me that he owns land up there but i never really inquired about it. There are a lot of Reber's in southern utah so that might not be his but when i get a hold of him i will let you guys know. If this is the case can we go to his property and then take the creek down staying in the creek bed?
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

D'oh! Beat me by a minute.
    Blog | FB

So looking at this.... the route I have posted only crosses LDS Chruch property and is not even close to Bird's property....

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Does it look like one could start from BLM land hug the canyon rim of south fork and not even cross Mr. Birds or LDS Camp Kolob land?

So looking at this.... the route I have posted only crosses LDS Chruch property and is not even close to Bird's property....
    Is the kolob pines subdivision gated off or can you drive right to the lds property?

By reading the byrd email I am betting he thinks or owns the piece that says no owner of record.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by frank'n'beans
    Your right Ice I really like all the people at ZAC and their services.
    Geez, me too. Especially when they go outside their guide permitted area and do "community service" in some other canyons in Utah. Didn't they clean up some anchors in some canyon...tryin' to think...something about "Mindbender" or some such.

Maybe folks could return in kind and perform that same public service in the Oak Creek forks? In fact, I remember when someone from ZAC told me that Oak Creek wasn't bolted, and, should stay that way to respect the established route.

I mean, I'm sure there are plenty of natural anchors, or, folks could just use longer ropes in there.

Maybe start with Oak, then move "South"?

Hee hee hee...

-Brian in SLC
    ps: great land owner maps!