Thread: Wind Rivers advice

Wind Rivers advice

I am looking at about 10 days in July, including travel, to hike in this time the Winds. I have done one 50 mile loop in the southern range.
    I have two different TH's that get me to the same general area ( Gannet Peak view) but want opinions of what you think--
    Choice 1--in at New Forks Th ( less busy than Elkhart) up the New River trail past the Lozier lakes area to the highline trail, then hook up with this end of the Glacier trail to the Peak Lakes area. Then take the Doubletree mountain trail back. I am mainly looking for photo ops and not a thousand people in campsites.
    Choice 2--an in and out on the Glacier trail to the Dinwoody/Gannet glacier area. I don't want to climb the peak, again photo ops main goal. I think the side trip to Bomber Falls would be cool. Steepness of the trail is not too much of an issue, I did a hike this weekend with 3200 feet of gain in about 4 miles with a backpack with no problem.

Experienced Winds hikers----anyone done these and any opinions???

Thanks---
    You can rest when you're dead

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You can't go wrong with the Winds. Be sure to bring a camera, and a fishing pole!

I have backpacked the Wind Rivers a number of times and am planning a backpack in August.

2 trips I've done that are very nice from the Pinedale side

1. From Scab Creek trail head to Rainbow Lake. There are options in that area and can put together a loop of sorts.

2. From Willowcreek trail head up the Doubletop that you mentioned to Summit Lake. From there we did a day hike loop around to Peak Lake. We looped back down Section Corner.

Both trips - very beautiful alpine country and not a lot of people..

garrettw