Thread: Suggestions [Quick Weekend Trip]

Suggestions [Quick Weekend Trip]

I need some help. I want to take my boys on a 4x4/camping/maybe hiking trip this weekend. However, I wont have much time. I will be leaving Friday afternoon or evening and I have to be back to SLC by 11 AM for my sons last soccer game.

I thought about maybe going up Farmington canyon. Isn't there some roads that come in from the the back and not up the canyon? Or do they go back in there somewhere. Perhaps they are covered with snow. Do you have to reserve the campsites? I could also take them up by the towers so they could look down on the city and lake. It would be cool to take a short hike to something or at least have something interesting to see along the way. The boys are 6 and 3.

What do you guys suggest? I am open to other areas as well. It just has to be near SLC because I have to be back and will only have a few hours in the AM to explore and a little time Friday evening. Perhaps take a drive around the GSL?

Thanks for any suggestions...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

you could always go up to Forest lake up AF Canyon.. heck even better go up Mineral basin.. find a place to camp and hike to Pittsburgh lake :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Re: Suggestions [Quick Weekend Trip]

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    I thought about maybe going up Farmington canyon. Isn't there some roads that come in from the the back and not up the canyon?
    Yeah, I've camped up there. I went all the way up, there are a few campgrounds that you pass, and I went behind the observatory there on the north (left). There are a couple of small ponds up there.

you could always go up to Forest lake up AF Canyon.. heck even better go up Mineral basin.. find a place to camp and hike to Pittsburgh lake :)
    Good choice, but it may be snowy/impassible this time of year, at least in the Mineral Basin area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If going all the way to the towers on Francis Peak, that road can also hold snow fairly late, but lower down it should be fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, Squaw Peak Trail might be a good choice. It might have some snow (?), but would have a better chance of being clear than say Mineral Basin.

North Willow would be another good one, but I haven't been there for years and don't know the current status. It should be snow free by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    Good choice, but it may be snowy/impassible this time of year, at least in the Mineral Basin area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If going all the way to the towers on Francis Peak, that road can also hold snow fairly late, but lower down it should be fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, Squaw Peak Trail might be a good choice. It might have some snow (?), but would have a better chance of being clear than say Mineral Basin.

North Willow would be another good one, but I haven't been there for years and don't know the current status. It should be snow free by now.
    Recent reports say you can go most of the way up Mineral.. the hike to Pitts... I don't know but I would think it is mostly clear by now
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"