Thread: Canaan mtn

Canaan mtn

Yeehaw! Thanks Tanya, Eriel, and Trackrunner! I had a blast!
    And, what views over into Zion from the sandy pine top of Canaan mtn
    looking down over a flowing, colorful sea of swirled slickrock. Way cool!

Here are the rest of the pictures.

http://usera.imagecave.com/mochajo/hikingaround/

I parked at the trailhead turnout before the reservoir parking area.
    I crossed the wash, up the other side, and headed along the old road and up squirrel canyon. I was sweating pretty hard by the time I got to the top of the canyon wall and took my shirt off and relaxed for half an hour taking in the beehive and the views all around. Just as I put my dry shirt back on, I headed up the hill to the road eriel talked about. Only to get soaking wet from rain! A passing shower, which returned two other times to pee on me and keeep me damp the whole day. I got to the swirls of Canaan Mtn's slickrock and couldn't resist it's magnetic pull. Reminded me a bit of Yellow hill over in the Paria. I worked my way up and along scoping out each hoodoo to the top. At the top, there is a sandy pine forest with tall trees and loads of flowers. Then, I broke through to the jaw dropping, unbelievable views of beautiful Zion's peaks setting like sentries over the towns of Rockville and Springdale. I could see the Eagle Crags at the far end of the matrix.

Thanks again, guys! One of the most beautiful and memorable hikes I have ever been on. I went back down the same way I came up; down through squirrel Canyon. I have never seen so much of Zion available to the eye at one summit. What a 360 view!

Hope you like the pictures! Cheers! jerry
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks, Peak! This would be a great overnighter into Rockville.
    Glad you like it.
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

awesome pics. I am getting so anxious to get down there for the noobfest!
    The man thong is wrong.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Squirrel Canyon is a lovely canyon. Other than someone really loves to drink cobalt blue beer there in the wilderness away from prying eyes of locals. My guess it's a place for locals to go to indulge in a vice. Cross over that dead horse?

I'm thinking next time I do this I'll try to do the loop with Water Canyon or scramble up to the top of Beehive Dome peak.

Enjoyed the photos particularly the one looking down on the Crags. Usually the phtographer is looking up.

Did you encounter anyone else on your hike. Hundreds or thousands of folk in ZNP, but rare to see another soul on Canaan.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum