Thread: Four Corners Memorial Weekend

Four Corners Memorial Weekend

Saturday morning we woke up extra early and headed for one of or favorite campsites in Comb Wash. As we were driving through Monticello, I noticed a Cherokee in my rearview mirror that sort of looked familiar. By the time we reached Blanding that Cherokee had caught up with me and it was in fact someone I knew.....Jared. We both pulled off at the local Shell for some gas and talked about our current plans for the weekend. We had spent the last Memorial Day weekend exploring the Comb Ridge area, and it looked like we would be doing the same again this year.

After setting up camp in Comb Wash we took a short walk to some ruins that Jared had found near our campsite last year.

Then we headed north to the road cut into Comb Ridge that you can see when you are on the Hotel Rock trail. I have always wanted to drive this old section of road since I first saw it, and was not disapointed.

You can see the road cut in this photo if you look closely

We stopped near the top when we saw an old car hanging onto the edge of a cliff. While we were stopped, I turned around and spotted a small arch above us.

Jared taking a photo with the small arch above us

The old car on the edge...

Jared also spotted what looked like some pictographs hidden high above us, and attempted to climb up to them, but could not find a good way up...

The final section to the top of Comb Ridge had been blasted through at one time and was pretty bumpy now with some smaller ledges.
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Once at the top we took a right on Poseys Trail which followed along the edge of the ridge for a few miles at an overlook above the cut for UT 95.

Our next destination was to find the Tower Ruin at the head of Butler Wash. We ended up taking the long way down into the canyon, but we did find the ruin.

Before heading back to the Jeeps, we hiked up another side canyon looking for other ruins.

On our way back to the Jeeps the clouds finally let loose and it started raining pretty good on us. We were pretty soaked by the time we made it back.

By the time we had finished lunch, the rain had stopped again, so we made our way over to find the Over & Under Ruins. After a few dead ends on some of the Jeep roads we followed, and then hiking down the wrong trail to find the ruins, we finally found our way (all part of the adventure). ;)

Over & Under Ruins

By the time we made it back to the Jeeps, it was getting late so we headed into Blanding to fuel up and grab some dinner before heading back to camp for the night. Since Amanda and I had got up pretty early that morning to head down there, we were exhausted and went right to bed when we made it back to camp.

The full galley from Saturday can be found here: http://myxj.net/g2/v/2009_adventures...ners/saturday/

Sunday & Monday still to come.....
    Randy Langstraat

On Sunday we woke up early again and headed South along Comb Ridge until we reached Snow Flat Road, which would take us up onto Cedar Mesa.

Crossing Comb Wash

At Snow Flat Road getting our hiking permits with Comb Ridge in the background

On our way we passed a small natural bridge next to the road that I had to stop and get a photo of

Our first destination for today was to try and get to the Moon House Ruins. This was supposed to be an easy hike with some minor scrambling, however when we got there, we found the climb down into the canyon was more technical that we were prepared for, so we had to settle on viewing the ruins from the other side of the canyon on this trip...

Reflection at the Moon House Ruins trailhead

Moon House Ruins in McCloyd Canyon

Jared taking a photo of the ruins
    Randy Langstraat

After making it back to Snow Flat Road we continued on to the highway and headed for our next destination....Johns Canyon Overlook. On the way to the overlook we found another small cliff dwelling under a pour-over. The alcove above this ruin had collapsed at some point, and a large rock was sitting on top of the dwelling. I was surprised that the whole thing had not completely collapsed.

There were some pictographs on the alcove wall

After exploring the ruin for a little bit we continued on to Johns Canyon Overlook

After having some lunch at the overlook, we headed over to Muley Point before going down the Moki Dugway

Johns Canyon Trail below....we'll be driving it later

You can barely see Monument Valley in the distance
    Randy Langstraat

A photo Amanda snapped on the point

Before heading into Johns Canyon we made a quick stop at Goosenecks State park

Headed towards Johns Canyon

The first set of petroglyphs we came across

There were many recent washouts along this trail from the recent rains (we were the first sets of new tracks since then), but most of them were minor and easily navigable. However, once we reached a narrow section under a slide area, the trail was washed out too much to safely continue, so we turned around. It was only about a mile or so from where the trail would have dead-ended at a wilderness area anyways.
    Randy Langstraat

Jared standing near one of the washed out sections

On our way back out of Johns Canyon we found a few more petroglyphs

After spending over twelve hours hiking and behind the wheel of the Jeep we headed into Mexican Hat for some dinner at the Swinging Steak. It was another great day of exploring!

You can find the full photo gallery from Sunday here: http://myxj.net/g2/v/2009_adventures...orners/sunday/

Monday still to come...
    Randy Langstraat

Nice report like always Somewhere I heard that the "4 Corners" were a little off geographically Damn GPS

On Monday, Amanda and I said goodbye to Jared and headed our separate ways. We ended up sticking to the pavement and did some more 'touristy' stuff as we looped around on our way back home. Our first stop was the Four Corners Monument. Amanda has wanted to stop here for a while, so we finally did it.

Our next stop was Mesa Verde

We didn't have too much time to spend at the park as we wanted to get home at a decent time, but I really wanted to get a feel for the park, get some information to help plan future trips and to do a short hike away from the Memorial Day crowds. We managed to accomplish all of that.

After a stop at the Visitor's Center for some info, we headed a little ways down the road and took a short hike to the Far View House and surround structures. While the park was pretty busy, we saw only two other people the whole time we explored this area.

Far View House

Far View Tower

Mummy Lake

Coyote Village
    Randy Langstraat

After leaving Mesa Verde we headed into Durango and then North on US 550 back home.

Silverton

As we were heading up to Red Mountain Pass, we got caught in a good snowstorm

The full gallery for Monday can be found here: http://myxj.net/g2/v/2009_adventures...orners/monday/
    Randy Langstraat

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Somewhere I heard that the "4 Corners" were a little off geographically Damn GPS
    They are at the legally recognized borders of the states as surveyed, so they are in the correct location
    Randy Langstraat

That is some awesome stuff! What a great weekend. I am planning on hitting some of these trails in my Land Cruiser this summer. Excellent!

I love reading your trip reports. So much eye candy!
    The man thong is wrong.

Outstanding report, do you have to have a XJ to tag along or can you stand riding with a TJ. If so let me know before you head out for the next adventure.
    Keep those reports coming.
    Peter

I'll ride with anyone in any vehicle as long as they are looking to do some exploring :)

I just don't like big groups.....3-4 vehicles is my max

Quote Originally Posted by psl53
    Outstanding report, do you have to have a XJ to tag along or can you stand riding with a TJ. If so let me know before you head out for the next adventure.
    Keep those reports coming.
    Peter
    Randy Langstraat

thanks for sharing!
    livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

Quote Originally Posted by IntrepidXJ
    I'll ride with anyone in any vehicle as long as they are looking to do some exploring :)

I just don't like big groups.....3-4 vehicles is my max
    Keep me in mind. I've got my TJ up on blocks, I'm installing a Powertrax no split in the rear. I have the same installed in the front, so I'm looking to see how much of a difference it will make. Keep those Trip report coming.

Peter