Thread: How would someone go about getting a job in the outdoors?

How would someone go about getting a job in the outdoors?

I'm thinking working with wildlife, or hiking around checking things out or some kind of job where you are up in the mountains all the time or nearly all the time--at least in the wilderness. I've thought of wildlife photographer, but those jobs are few and far between. Wildlife biologist takes more schooling than I'm thinking I want to pay for at 49. So what other jobs are there that with a little training and study I could sort of morph into for my second career at this point?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There's archeologist
    paleontologist
    park ranger
    tour guide
    tv show host (hiking)
    author
    photographer
    road mapper
    blog (sell stuff on it)
    Thats some of em.

Quote Originally Posted by coinslab
    tv show host (hiking)
    Oh yeah, I always wanted what's his names job that died a couple of years ago--Doug Miller. I need to find out how to get that job.

DEA. Just drive around in a little jeep looking for pot plantations all day. And if you don't happen to find any, no big deal. And it's a government job so obviously training not required or certifications.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Up in the Wasatch Forest I remember the Forest Service had a job that you had to go check, count, and replace the gypsy moth traps. It was a minimum wage job, but you got paid to hike.

There's always the govt coyote control jobs. Only pays around $13-14 an hour, but if you can survive on that, more power to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by ilanimaka
    There's always the govt coyote control jobs. Only pays around $13-14 an hour, but if you can survive on that, more power to ya.
    Maybe once my house is paid off. This young guy from our neighborhood just got an internship working for National Geographic. His major was broadcast journalism. I was pretty envious of that. I attended college many years ago and never got my degree and now I don't think any of my schooling would count if I tried to go back--heck, it's been since the late '70s.

aspiro, a wilderness therapy program for minors. or other such programs.
    signature

I have a friend whos a government trapper. Traps everything from small game to rodents like beavers. Makes about 40k/yr. My wife works for the Fish N Game and BLM. Works with lots of rangers and agents...not alot of money in it but you get outside alot. It's not too hard to get in at the ground level but you need a degree of some sort to make $ like anything else. She got on because she had experience in the sporting goods dept at WalMart

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimflint1
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanimaka
    Maybe once my house is paid off. This young guy from our neighborhood just got an internship working for National Geographic. His major was broadcast journalism. I was pretty envious of that. I attended college many years ago and never got my degree and now I don't think any of my schooling would count if I tried to go back--heck, it's been since the late '70s.
    It is never to late to go back. Any English or Math you did would be no good, but if you feel competent enough and with a little studying you could test out of those subjects. Same with some of your gen eds. As for the rest of the classes if you seriously wanted to go back to college. Dig up whatever information you can about the classes course syllabus or course descriptions. Schools usually keep their old catalogs. It would help if the school you attended in 1970 was here in Utah easier to hunt down needed info. But really it depends on what program of study you chose to do.

It never hurts to look into it.

Check out the National Park concessionaires. ie: Xanterra that serves Zion National Park.

Also, consider campground host. You live in your RV for set lengths of time and take care of a campground in state parks, or national parks.

It really depends how much money you will need to support your intended life style.

Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Plant a garden.

Hey, it will get you outside.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

You could dress up in a Sasquatch suit and run around in the woods letting tourists take pictures of you for a small fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    You could dress up in a Sasquatch suit and run around in the woods letting tourists take pictures of you for a small fee.
    What about the guy who wants to be the first person to hang a sasquatch head on his wall?

What about the guy who wants to be the first person to hang a sasquatch head on his wall?
    Charge him double....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Just think of it this way.. at least you got to spend the rest of your life working in the great out doors :)