Thread: Canyoneering skills and strength

Canyoneering skills and strength

I've always wanted to learn canyoneering skills, mainly because I'd like to go through some of Zions and other slot canyon areas, but don't trust myself with the skills. Then in some of the technical climbing skills, I'm thinking I have a bad strength to weight ratio. For example, I weigh 191 (down from 201 at the end of last year), and I'm quite strong because I lift weights, but I'm thinking I need to lose some more weight, maybe down to around 170 in order to have the strength to do a lot of pulling upward of my body weight. I'm thinking a gymnast would probably do well at climbing, but a huge strong person (even if cut, like Karl Malone etc.) would have a tough time. Am I correct in thinking this?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There are canyons for all skill levels and body types. I think you are over analyzing. Expert climbing is rarely required and always optional in the well published trade routes (rappel instead). As long as you can hike okay and climb a little then its more about the skills than the body. Also, There are plenty of slots around that you don't need any technical skills for.

Maybe you need a refresher on why we go canyoneering. The concept is to go DOWNHILL. Srart at top and let gravity take you to the bottom. Being in shape helps but were going DOWN. Just find some youngun's to carry the ropes.
    If you haven't noticed most of the gray beards in this sport started as climbers and then realized this is alot less work.

Mark

I think your right about the strength to weight ratio but it applies to rock climbing a lot more than it does to canyoneering. Most of the climbing in canyoneering is down climbing, controlling your descent with friction on the walls opposed to lifting your body weight with your arms.

Downclimbing skills can make things a lot easier buy you can use belays and rappelling to protect/avoid downclimbs, most of the time. Although it is nice to have at least one good climber in your group.

Zion doesn't have much downclimbing unlike other areas, so if that is a concern it is a great place to start. Zion does have lots of big rappels, so learning some rope skills is important.

Re: Canyoneering skills and strength

Quote Originally Posted by jimflint1
    I've always wanted to learn canyoneering skills, mainly because I'd like to go through some of Zions and other slot canyon areas, but don't trust myself with the skills. Then in some of the technical climbing skills, I'm thinking I have a bad strength to weight ratio. For example, I weigh 191 (down from 201 at the end of last year), and I'm quite strong because I lift weights, but I'm thinking I need to lose some more weight, maybe down to around 170 in order to have the strength to do a lot of pulling upward of my body weight. I'm thinking a gymnast would probably do well at climbing, but a huge strong person (even if cut, like Karl Malone etc.) would have a tough time. Am I correct in thinking this?
    Yep, thinking too much here. If I had thought that way, I would have never started. Like it was said above, we go down, rarely up. Your weight will have an impact on rappel but skills in adding friction and rope work skills will solve that. I'm no light weight either but I still love the canyons.
    Life is Good

For the most part canyoneering is just hiking, swimming and sliding down ropes. There is some hardcore stuff out there but the guidebooks and websites give you warning when more advanced skills are required.

Okay, that all helps. But how do you unhook the rope once you've repelled down it? It's these basic things that keep me from going places.

But how do you unhook the rope once you've repelled down it? It's these basic things that keep me from going places.
    As well they should...

Rappelling then pulling a rope down is pretty basic stuff. Most climbers rappel on two strands of rope, and, if the rappel is half or less than the length of the rope, then they just double a single rope and pull one end when they're done. The rope is usually placed through an anchor of some sorts, which often ends in a rappel ring (which is re-usuable and keeps wear and tear off the sling, tree, etc).

Maybe a "how-to" book or video? Or, heaven forbid, professional instruction?

-Brian in SLC

But how do you unhook the rope once you've repelled down it? It's these basic things that keep me from going places.
    Now I get it.... you need help with the sliding down ropes part....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    Or, heaven forbid, professional instruction?
    I have always considered Zion Adventure Company's "Keyhole Ground School" an excellent way to enter the sport. For a small investment you are taught some skills and than descend a sweet little slot canyon on your own.

Keyhole Ground School

After Keyhole you will know if you are interested in canyoneering and you will have a basic understanding of what is required.

Yeah, that's exactly what I need. Thanks for the link!