Thread: James Canyon Remix - Flagstaff AZ

James Canyon Remix - Flagstaff AZ

I've been lurking a bunch since canyoneering season is dawning on us, but last Sunday we actually made it out to a canyon just south of Flagstaff (where we live) that's pretty nice. Our last trip in early August was a lot of fun except for the hike out... We got mildly lost and severely rained on. See our previous trip report for details. This time we had an extra person (and vehicle for the necessary car shuttle) so we were able to do the shorter, and turns out, much nicer exit through Pump House wash into Oak Creek Canyon at the bottom of the switchbacks on Highway 89A North of Sedona.

Anyway, here's the gang at the car off of I17: Maria, Joel, and me (Mike).

Downclimbing into the beginning of the canyon

Easy traverse around the first big pools

Obligatory shot of Maria eating (this one's for you Mom/John)

I just got a new polarizing filter for my camera - look at that sky!

Joel's impression of a wet-suited-bigfoot

Me inspecting the anchor/setting up for our first rappel

Joel was wearing regular tennis shoes, so I gave him a belay over to the anchor. The approach is pretty steep and very sandy :(

View from the top of rap 1 (20ft?)

The exit of the first technical section... Between the rap and the end of the pool is very wet and not very camera friendly.

Under my arm is a new camera bag that I was testing out... For the most part I'm happy with it. It's supposed to be weatherproof, which it is - but if it gets submerged for long periods of time it leaks a bit. Here's a link to their PDF catalog - page 8, left hand side.

The canyon is just a hike for the most part, but it narrows quite frequently into these hallways that can get extremely cold.

Joel made a friend

We stopped for lunch above the second (45ft) rappel.
    And because we always get a hard time for eating well on the trail, here's Joel enjoying a home made mini pumpkin pie...

Maria, looking as awesome as she feels

The rediculously cold hallway from the end (it's a 40ft swimmer and about 10

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great pics thanks for sharing those with us. I have yet to do any Arizona canyons. they are a far cry off from the normal sand stone of zion.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Excellent TR - thanks! Great pics. Cool arches/columns in Pump House Wash, for sure. The next to last photo, were those folks that you caught up to, or that caught up to you, or had they come up from the exit? Just curious...

Very nice presentation!

"Homemade mini pumpkin pies" If you ever travel with these two, you will learn two things - Maria is always hungry and they always have the most awesome food packed in their bags. Love Maria's munching smile - Thanks!

I can't tell from the picture, but when you gave Joel a belay, are you clipped into the anchor?

(I can't get the picture to post.)
    http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4...G_31643163.jpg

What is the story with all the webbing in the background? Did you guys have to set/re-set any anchors or were they in good condition?

You got some great nature/critter shots. How did you like carrying the big camera bag? Are there times when you would not carry the bag?

Awesome trip report!

Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

@Cirrus

So as I suggested earlier, there are two ways to do James Canyon. One is to exit Kelly Canyon, the other is to hike through to 89A. Kelly Canyon is a very popular hiking/biking area, being quite close to town, but with some decent terrain. I believe those hikers came in from Kelly (nontechnical) and hiked through to the bottom of Pump House Wash. They passed us when we took a break at the intersection of James and Pump House, but we caught up to them pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    I can't tell from the picture, but when you gave Joel a belay, are you clipped into the anchor?
    Yes Mom... If you look carefully over my right leg you can see my blue clipster

What is the story with all the webbing in the background? Did you guys have to set/re-set any anchors or were they in good condition?
    The webbing is part of the anchor for the 2nd rappel. We added one sling around a chock stone in the last narrows section of Pump House Wash. The old one(s) were really messed up and tattered. Other than that everything looked in good condition.

You got some great nature/critter shots. How did you like carrying the big camera bag? Are there times when you would not carry the bag?
    The camera bag was a lot bigger than I thought it would be when I ordered it. Overall I enjoyed having it, but because it was the first real outdoor trial run, and my camera is pretty expensive I was really nervous the entire time I was in the water. I think it's perfect for canyons like Orderville or the Subway because there isn't much swimming. It's great for dips/splashes (those of us who like to fall down a lot), but shouldn't be submerged for longer than a couple minutes right at the surface (deeper = more pressure = leaks faster. I tested it in the bathtub prior to our trip).

Quote Originally Posted by mmac
    Yes Mom...

Excellent report. Thanks for the pics

Quote Originally Posted by mmac
    Yes Mom... If you look carefully over my right leg you can see my blue clipster
    Awwww....Felicia, you're such a mommy! I'd be saying the same thing too!

Great photos Michael! And thanks for the nice TR & map too! :)
    It's great to see young folks out and about who are safety conscious enough to keep their moms happy!

~Randi
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Nice Prius.
    Thanks! It sure makes road trips painless, and it carries enough gear to make it through a canyon with several people.