Thread: Float/Drag Dirty Devil River May

Float/Drag Dirty Devil River May

Along with the Swell I had an idea to float the seldom run Dirty Devil, mainly because it's low and slow. I hadn't been in a canoe in 20 years but recently purchased an inflatable kayak, practiced for 30 min on the Salt River down here then decided I was ready. Water levels for the Dirty Devil were very low but I was determined. I allowed 6 days for the trip to Hite. I put in just out of Hanksville at the end of the landfill road. My plan was to hitchhike back. I also cached a gallon of water under the culvert at Poison Springs canyon road at Hwy 95 in case I wanted to bail early.
    I packed like I was backpacking. I planned if anything went really wrong with the boat I could pack out.
    First two days lots of dragging, guiding the boat and very little paddling due to shallow sand bars. First night camped at Angel Cove spring. Next night camped somewhere past Larry Canyon. I had backpacked this corridor of the Dirty Devil River so was familiar.
    Day three the river channel tightened up and it was almost all paddling. I stopped and took most of a day in Sam Mesa Box Canyon, camping near there.
    Day 4 now had some rapids!! Not really, lots of small rocky riffles, able to run some in the boat but mostly slipping and sliding on moss covered rocks as I guided the boat through. Camped on beautiful sand beach not far from Happy Canyon.
    Day 5 pulled into Poison Spring Canyon crossing early afternoon. I decided no way I could make Hite in another day, especially with the rocky and low water. I decided to walk the 16 miles out and hitch from there. I've driven this road quite a bit so knew where springs were, shade etc. It was pretty darn hot but what the heck I'm from Tucson where we are just getting a little warm at 100+.
    Some ATVer's had watched me and now came down and offered their assistance at getting me back to my car. Wonderful folks, Paul and Pat from Price Utah. I've been unable to get their email to work so will have to track them down for pics other ways.
    They were part of a group riding in the area. Some others offered to ferry my deflated boat to their camp where I could retrieve it without driving all the way down the road. Again----great folks couldn't ask for better.
    It was fun riding on the back of the quad. We spent most of the rest of the day getting my vehicle and I loaded up and headed out.

I must say the scenery between Twin Corral and Happy world class Utah geology. Just beautiful. Would like to return to backpack this section or redo this trip with higher water and plan a longer time for this float.

You can rest when you're dead

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice. I've always wanted to run it.

Hitting it in a high water year is key.

Wow, that looks really cool. Gotta try this floating thing one day... I've admired the Dirty Devil River from afar - going to have to check out the area.

Thanks for posting - any more pics?