Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to buy: 96-99 Toyota 4runner or Tacoma $25 reward

Want to buy: 96-99 Toyota 4runner or Tacoma $25 reward

I'm looking for a 4runner or Tacoma/pickup from one of these years: 1996-1999. I'd also consider a 1985-1989 if it was restored and was a 4-door (not the pickup, of course). The things I need in the vehicle are low miles for the year, manual trans, and good mechanical and exterior shape. It also needs a clean VIN record. Must have the six-cylinder engine. My maximum price is $6500. I'm willing to pay a reward of $25.00 to anyone who finds me such a vehicle that I end up buying.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    I'll PM you my mailing address...

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&ni...iew&ad=1290445

James
    I know that's low miles for a '97, but I'm hoping to come in at under 150k. But thanks for the first attempt James! I may end up getting something like that if I can't find exactly what I want. Keep those suggestions coming!

I do check KSL.com and autotrader.com on a daily basis as well.

Jim, I might be able to help you out. You didn't mention if you wanted 4 wheel drive or not? I assume yes. Anyway, PM me for details

Probably not quite what you wanted, but my wife and I are thinking of getting a hybrid and trading in our 1999 Pathfinder sometime in the near future.

If you are interested, it has 70,000 miles on it, we are the original owners and we have all the service records. Looks new; no dents, etc. It does have a manual.

I assume you are looking for a Toyota only, but just in case you are interested, let me know. Otherwsie we'll probably just keep it and trade it in for a hybrid eventually.

Thanks, Scott. I had actually considered a Pathfinder, then after doing some research decided that it wasn't quite as good at off roading as the 4runners are. Maybe I heard wrong. I guess there could be a lot of debating over which vehicles make the best off roading rigs while still being street legal. Oh and a couple of days ago I was looking at a Pathfinder because at that time they were still on my list and it looked like it didn't have enough ground clearance, compared to the Toyotas. That may have been an isolated case--I don't know. Still, your Pathfinder that age with only 70,000 miles on it is great. I wouldn't trade it in though. You won't get nearly its value if you do.

Thanks, Scott. I had actually considered a Pathfinder, then after doing some research decided that it wasn't quite as good at off roading as the 4runners are. Maybe I heard wrong. I guess there could be a lot of debating over which vehicles make the best off roading rigs while still being street legal. Oh and a couple of days ago I was looking at a Pathfinder because at that time they were still on my list and it looked like it didn't have enough ground clearance, compared to the Toyotas.
    It depends on the year/model.

1995 and before, all Pathfinders had good ground clearance.

1996-2000, the LE model didn

Thanks. That info is very helpful. I'm just squeamish about making a bad decision as the last 4x4 I owned was a bust. It was an '85 Cherokee that someone had installed an '87 engine into. It was a great off-roader, when my clutch lines weren't bursting, drivelines weren't breaking, and water pumps weren't going out! So, since I will be spending thousands of dollars, I don't want to get into the same situation as my last vehicle purchase.

So is your '99 an LE, XE, or SE? Check your inbox, Scott, for more questions.

Quote Originally Posted by jimflint1
    I know that's low miles for a '97, but I'm hoping to come in at under 150k.
    I want to buy a new 2010 Prius for $10k. You never know, we both may find what we are looking for.

I do check KSL.com and autotrader.com on a daily basis as well.
    Then what do you need us for?

James

[quote="James_B_Wads2000"]
    Then what do you need us for?

James
    Because not all of them are advertised. Your next door neighbor might be driving around with a For Sale sign in hiw window. Or you may see someone in a parking lot with a sign. And you may know of other places to check ads that I don't--I check the two above and craigslist and that's about all I know about.

Does it have to be a manual tranny? I have been on Manheim quite a bit and found quite a few within a reasonable distance, but no dice on manual, all auto's

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus
    Does it have to be a manual tranny? I have been on Manheim quite a bit and found quite a few within a reasonable distance, but no dice on manual, all auto's
    I'll tell you, Reedus, I sure feel a lot better four-wheeling downhill if I have a stick instead of an auto. Saves the brakes, too.

I'll tell you, Reedus, I sure feel a lot better four-wheeling downhill if I have a stick instead of an auto. Saves the brakes, too.
    Yeah but it sure is a bitch to take thru a drive-thru.

James

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    Yeah but it sure is a bitch to take thru a drive-thru.

James
    I hear ya. The good thing is, this will be my secondary vehicle. My other truck, a Honda Accord, is auto.

Okay, I guess I get to keep the cash. I found a 4runner and bought it. The good thing is, if you need a ride somewhere, and I'm going, I'll be happy to take you along.

pics?
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    pics?
    I'll post some here in a couple of days.

Here are the pics

Sorry, none yet in action, but here's the rig in the driveway.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

good lookin rig!
    The man thong is wrong.