Thread: Hiking from Millcreek to Big Cottonwood

Hiking from Millcreek to Big Cottonwood

For those who've done this hike before, where are the trailheads on each side that we should park our vehicles at for this hike? And about how long will it take to hike it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Which of the routes are you planning? There are six different trails that go from Big Cottonwood to Mill Creek. The one up Mill D and down Bigwater (passing Dog Lake) would be easiest and will take 2-3 hours for the average hiker. Taking something like the Wasatch Crest or Mill B to Desolation/Mill Creek TH will take all day.

Good question, Scott, and I'm not sure I know. I'm planning a hike with an old friend and I'm not sure how long he wants to be hiking. I'd say I should figure out a couple of options and offer him the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    Either trail is a pretty hike I think I'd like the one over Wasatch Crest - you can see for miles and miles
    So where do we begin and end for the Wasatch Crest trail?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimflint1
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    Either trail is a pretty hike I think I'd like the one over Wasatch Crest - you can see for miles and miles
    So where do we begin and end for the Wasatch Crest trail?
    Guardmen's pass Big Cottonwood side, Dog Lake Trailhead Millcreek side.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/wasatch.htm

My favorite route is BBC Mill D - Dog Lake - Mill Creek.

Here is some info for the Mill D to Dog lake section.

Dog Lake - Big Cottonwood Mill D
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/doglake.htm

The shuttle sucks for a BCC to Mill Creek. A hike just as nice is up Mill D to Dog Lake and than descend Butler Fork. This makes a nice loop and you have a short hike back up the road to pick up your car. If you want a bigger loop you can tag Circle-All Peak.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    My favorite route is BBC Mill D - Dog Lake - Mill Creek.
    One of my favorites, too. I usually park at Butler Fork, up to Dog Lake, back down Mill D, then the pavement at the end back to the car, all down hill. Good after work sweat fest. Don't hesitate to kill as much of that stinging nettle as you find on that trail...(I work on it every time...).

I'd imagine its either still very wet, or, snowy still? Creeks are rippin' right now!

You could REALLY extend it by going past Circle All to Baker Pass, between Gobblers and Raymond, then up Gobblers, across the top of Alexander's, back to dropping into Dog Lake, then down Mill D.

Best mountain bike ride in the Wasatch is the Wasatch Crest. Bonus to catch it on a "legal" bike day and come out Mill Creek by going out from Dog Lake down to the trailhead, then short pavement to the Pipeline Trail, then down Rattlesnake Gulch. Car shuttle at Olympus Cove is easy as pie. Best ride on mostly single track in Utah? For after work from SLC to be sure... Will be awhile before it comes into condition, though.

Mill Creek kinda bumps into BCC on the east side in the Dog Lake area, then kinda up towards Deso Lake. A longer loop might also include a side trip up to Desolation Lake.

Going west, there's a bunch of options. All the "Mill" drainages that go north, ie, Mill A, Mill B, Mill D (pretty inventive, huh?). Loops starting or finishing on aspects of any of those are pretty good. Bunch of terrain from the BCC/Mill Creek border around and to the east of Mt Olympus. A person could even figure out a hike that came out Neff's.

Mill D to Dog, cut over to Baker Pass, then out Porter Fork is pretty neat.

Plenty of trails...

-Brian in SLC

Hey, thanks, all of you for the info. Especially Ice for the map! I've been up a number of the trails from both sides--up to Gobler's Knob and beyond, to Dog Lake from both sides, to Desolation Lake from BC, up Butler Fork and Mill D plenty of times-- but never have I traversed from one canyon to the other. I guess that'll happen next week.

Update: I just talked to my friend last night and he needs to be back to coach his kid's baseball game at 5 p.m. I'm thinking we really need to get back then by 3:00 to 3:30, and we'll be starting, my guess is around 8 a.m.
    We'll won't be trying to see how much country we can cover in that time, but taking our time and checking things out. So, with that in mind, which route do you recommend?

BCC to Millcreek using Mill D (Dog Lake) should take 3 to 3.5 hours actual hiking time.

BCC to Millcreek using Mill D (Dog Lake) should take 3 to 3.5 hours actual hiking time.
    Thanks. Where does the trail come out on the Millcreek side? What about a side trip to Desolation? How long would that take?

Thanks. Where does the trail come out on the Millcreek side? What about a side trip to Desolation? How long would that take?
    Well, right now it comes down the road, which, won't open to the Dog Lake trailhead (Big Water?) until 1 July. That would add around 5 miles or so to your day?

The road is only open at mile 4.5 from the toll booth, methinks. The winter closure gate.

Something to consider for planning purposes...(also a great bike ride, free of cars).

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    Well, right now it comes down the road, which, won't open to the Dog Lake trailhead (Big Water?) until 1 July. That would add around 5 miles or so to your day?

The road is only open at mile 4.5 from the toll booth, methinks. The winter closure gate.

Something to consider for planning purposes...(also a great bike ride, free of cars).

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC
    Really? That gates still closed? That's good to know, but I can't believe it's closed until July 1st.

Really? That gates still closed? That's good to know, but I can't believe it's closed until July 1st.
    Been that way for a number of years.

Actually one of the best times to hike or bike up there. No crowds.

-Brian in SLC

Been that way for a number of years.

Actually one of the best times to hike or bike up there. No crowds.

-Brian in SLC
    So is it closed right there by the Porter Fork road near the restaurant, or up further?

So is it closed right there by the Porter Fork road near the restaurant, or up further?
    Sounds right. By the Terraces, methinks, a mile or so down from Elbow Fork.

At least if you're coming from BCC, its all down hill...

And, if its an "even" day of the week, you can rip down on a mountain bike.

-Brian in SLC

Sounds right. By the Terraces, methinks, a mile or so down from Elbow Fork.

At least if you're coming from BCC, its all down hill...

And, if its an "even" day of the week, you can rip down on a mountain bike.

-Brian in SLC
    I won't have a bike. It sounds like we could take the Terraces trailhead then with no problem, or end up there. Does that sound about right?

Just an FYI, there is still a lot of snow up high. My wife and I hiked up Butler Fork on May 19th and turned back about 2/3 up to Dog Lake because there was so much snow. I would imagine Mill D would be worse just because the last section is shaded and so much steeper. Probably a lot of snow on the north facing slopes of Mill Creek Canyon as well.

If you go I would recommend taking gaiters, trekking poles and don't mind post-holing. It will add considerably to your hiking time. Great hike, just a bit early for my liking.

Thanks for the heads up, UT.