Thread: Lower Echo TR, 5-15-09

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Lower Echo TR, 5-15-09

Pics and trip report from Lower Echo (and poking a nose into Middle Echo) up on the Rave

http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave

Enjoy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great pics.

Was there still anchor in there with 2 bolts placed INCREDIBLY close together? On the left (LDC)?

I was in there years ago, and marveled someone would place 2 bolts so they were almost touching..... (or were they touching? I remember it was really close if they weren't touching.)

Beautiful canyon. We fixed off the side, from a large tree with I think about a 30M rope to another tree, then a 60M to the canyon floor. It put us maybe 3 or 4 raps from the bottom.

A very nice loop for those that like to jug!

Wow! There's like, a glacier in there!

Supposed to be doing middle Echo at the start of July. I think I'll invest in some neoprene socks to go with my wetsuit (assuming it's open by then).

Bogley BigShot
    Awesome!

Pretty flowers too

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ajroadtrips
    Great pics.

Was there still anchor in there with 2 bolts placed INCREDIBLY close together? On the left (LDC)? I was in there years ago, and marveled someone would place 2 bolts so they were almost touching..... (or were they touching? I remember it was really close if they weren't touching.)

Beautiful canyon. We fixed off the side, from a large tree with I think about a 30M rope to another tree, then a 60M to the canyon floor. It put us maybe 3 or 4 raps from the bottom.

A very nice loop for those that like to jug!
    I don't remember any suspiciously placed bolts, but we bypassed a couple of bolted anchors because they were in the wrong place for jugging.

Last time, we hiked down the peninsula and fixed a 300'er off a tree there. But, the dirt between the trail and the peninsula is very fragile, so encouraging people to go that way is not a good idea. I thought the 240' jug up the peninsula in the full sun was torturous. With the rope available, doing the whole thing seemed like a better idea. It would have helped to have more than 2 people. Hauling the packs with all that rope back up was a definite "pig-fest".

Did you go down through the whole canyon? It is a wonderful canyon.

Tom

Re: Lower Echo TR, 5-15-09

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Pics and trip report from Lower Echo (and poking a nose into Middle Echo) up on the Rave

http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave

Enjoy

I've had an opportunity to descend Lower Echo 3 times. The first time I started from the top and we ran out of rope after several rappels. I believe we had made it as far as the long rappel from the tree on the peninsula? We went back up and hiked down to the peninsula and rapelled from there into lower/lower Echo. Then proceded to do 2-3 more rappels until arriving at the last long drop over Weeping Rock. It is a very beautiful canyon. I wish it might become possible to someday continue with the last long drop of 45o' and ending at Weeping Rock. I've done this last drop twice. Once to cut free someones remnants after a "poached" descent, and they didn't have enough rope to get down "cleanly", and a second time when we (SAR) had to lower 2 boys and an adult after they realized that their 200' rope wouldn't reach!

Nice TR, it looks like a great canyon! The upclimb sure sounded like it took some work.

I've spent a lot of time looking down in the canyon from the trail and wondered what it was like in there. Thanks for the awesome glimpse.

Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden