Thread: Lone Peak Q

Lone Peak Q

Planning on going up Lone Peak the first part of June.. anyone been up there recently to give a Snow Level report? I can't see from this side of the Mountain :)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've gone many times. Early June I'd anticipate the cirque being completely covered in snow, no grass in the meadow at all. Some snow will be on the ridge as well. Ice axe and a short rope would probably be a good idea. Only time I've actually summited in early June was on June 11th in a severe drought year with super low snowpack and even then the cirque was still snow filled with a little snow on the ridge. Lots of water for refilling though (it can get pretty dry after the snow melts, at least on south facing slopes).

I can see the south side from my office. lots o snow up there.
    The man thong is wrong.

I've climbed Lone Peak in early June several times. Shaggy has typical conditions covered. I suggest iceaxe and crampons (and the knowledge of how to use them). The summit ridge will probably still be heavily corniced and almost completely snow covered. Until the end of June I consider Lone Peak a mountaineering route and not a hiking route.

Ice axe and Crampons were already in the plans :).. sounds like it will be a good trip with the snow still up there I have Deseret peak on the agenda for the weekend after this and it looks like there will be snow up there too :)

Anyone have GPS coords for the Bear canyon trailhead or good directions.. I figure that will be a good way to go up as I have been on Jacobs ladder before and not here :).. New is good.. anyhow any help would be cool
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Here is everything you ever wanted to know about Lone Peak and more....

Lone Peak
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/lonepeak.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jimflint1
    Isn't there a trail to the top from Alpine as well?
    Yes, but it access the South Peak and not the true peak. I understand the scramble between the two peaks is pretty hairy. I've never climbed Lone Peak from Alpine. My house sits right at the bottom of Lone Peak in Draper so I've climbed it from that direction about every way you can think of.

That's good to know. I'm thinking of tackling it later this summer, so I guess Bear Canyon might be the best option.

Do they allow vehicles on the Corner Canyon Road anymore? Everytime I've been up that way (which isn't often anymore), they've got it gated. Is it off limits to vehicles now? Heck, when I was a kid and had a girlfriend in Draper, I was up on that road a couple of times a month at least.

Yes, you can still drive up Corner Canyon to the Jacob's Ladder Trailhead, but the gate is only open at certain times of the years so you would need to check with Draper City.

I believe there are now 3 gates in the canyon. One at the bottom, one at Shoreline Trail and one at Jacob's Ladder (Hidden Falls I think the City calls it).

well it looks like the weather may be a bit sketchy but we are still going up on Saturday morning :) and come down Sunday
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

I was thinking about bagging pfeiferhorn soon. I'll bet theres alot of snow on that route

Check out this link. Lone peak was climbed just a few days ago.
    http://www.summitpost.org/trip-repor...-Monarch-.html