Thread: Upper Left Fork info

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Upper Left Fork info

Is there a better way to do Upper Left Fork? Kelsey way hiking from Wildcat past Das Boot to the seeps, or Little Blue starting from Wet Rim. Probably not Hammerhead this time. Thinking of doing Upper Left Fork & Das Boot exit out Subway aproach on Monday. Don't want to take longer than 8-10 hours maybe more.

Any info would be helpfull. Spent the morning searching the forums found some info here but thought I'd ask it again in a new thread.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Had a permit for it on Tuesday, would have had info for you but I got sick and my partner decided for me that swimming in ice cold water for multiple hours wasn't gonna be good for me. Ranger claims Das Boot is still flowing so may be snow in Wildcat? Not much sign of snow at Lava Point, seems most of the area has melted out, although snow in the canyons of course takes longer. I've done the Kelsey approach and we missed a turn somewhere and ended up rapping off a tree in one spot. If you don't miss any turns you can get there without busting out the rope. I did Das Boot last May when it was 90+ out but the canyon was flowing (very light) and I would have given just about anything for neo gloves and a shortee over my full suit. Made Imlay the next day feel like a hot tub. Some of the coldest potholes I've ever been in! Have fun, it's a long day unless you are moving efficiently (I'm assuming you will be). 8-10 hours sounds reasonable for an experienced and in shape group.

Plan on doing das boots and then out subway june 8th. Plan on renting dry suits for my wife and my buddies wife. We plan on wearing 4/3 suits. Are we going to wish we had dry suits also? Have never wore anything in subway but a swimming suit. Realize this is much more water exposure, so do I want to drop the coin for the drysuit?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Plan on doing das boots and then out subway june 8th. Plan on renting dry suits for my wife and my buddies wife. We plan on wearing 4/3 suits. Are we going to wish we had dry suits also? Have never wore anything in subway but a swimming suit. Realize this is much more water exposure, so do I want to drop the coin for the drysuit?

Mark
    Always depends on your cold water tolerance. I've done Das Boot 4 or 5 times and only had it be ridiculously cold when it was flowing in May. I'd guess you'll be ok in June. I like to keep the suit on through the subway, that way you can play in the water for hours and really enjoy it. Swim under the arch a few times, rappel down the waterfalls, (hang the rope around the fallen tree above the last waterfall and go straight down for the faceshot) and swim around in the pools in the subway proper before changing out of the suits.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Ranger claims Das Boot is still flowing so may be snow in Wildcat?
    I heard a report from last weekend that Das Boot stopped flowing.

Plan on doing das boots and then out subway june 8th. Plan on renting dry suits for my wife and my buddies wife. We plan on wearing 4/3 suits. Are we going to wish we had dry suits also?
    I have a drysuit and a 4/3 full wetsuit. I'd wear the wetsuit. But I also don't get cold real easy.

My thoughts on drysuits.... they can be really nice, but they are also a pain in the butt. I'm not sure I'd ever trust a rented drysuit, they can be so problematic. Also about 50% of the drysuit rental stories I hear end with problems. I'm talking when the rental is used in a real tech canyon and not hiking the narrows. Drysuits are not real durable in the grand scheme of things and rentals take a beating.

And one last though for anyone considering purchasing a drysuit.... 10 years ago all the hardcore canyoneers had a drysuit. I've noticed most of them wear their wetsuits whenever possible and seldom use there drysuits any more. I'm not sure if I've seen any of the new up and comers purchase a drysuit in the past 5 years... bottom line is I'm happy I own a drysuit for the occation canyon where its an advantage.... but I'm not sure if I would spend the coin again to buy one.

YMMV

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Are there any special difficulties for Upper Left. Know there is that one pothole but AJ and others say it is easy to escape. Have a basic understanding & tools to escape keeper potholes. Have escaped from easy potential keepr potholes a couple times but nothing hard core or repetititive found in Imlay or Heaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Ranger claims Das Boot is still flowing so may be snow in Wildcat?
    I heard a report from last weekend that Das Boot stopped flowing.

Plan on doing das boots and then out subway june 8th. Plan on renting dry suits for my wife and my buddies wife. We plan on wearing 4/3 suits. Are we going to wish we had dry suits also?
    I have a drysuit and a 4/3 full wetsuit. I'd wear the wetsuit. But I also don't get cold real easy.

My thoughts on drysuits.... they can be really nice, but they are also a pain in the butt. I'm not sure I'd ever trust a rented drysuit, they can be so problematic. Also about 50% of the drysuit rental stories I hear end with problems. I'm talking when the rental is used in a real tech canyon and not hiking the narrows. Drysuits are not real durable in the grand scheme of things and rentals take a beating.

And one last though for anyone considering purchasing a drysuit.... 10 years ago all the hardcore canyoneers had a drysuit. I've noticed most of them wear their wetsuits whenever possible and seldom use there drysuits any more. I'm not sure if I've seen any of the new up and comers purchase a drysuit in the past 5 years... bottom line is I'm happy I own a drysuit for the occation canyon where its an advantage.... but I'm not sure if I would spend the coin again to buy one.

YMMV
    Ice's points do concern me. I rented one a few years ago from ZAC and one of the leg gasket would not seal. My left leg was wet all day. But these women are not cold tolerant. So what do you do?

I came within minutes of buying a dry suit a few years ago. The emperor talked me out of it. As he said, how many do you see in pictures. Not to many.

Mark

i did Das Boot last year around the end of june into july and i was in a 2.2 mil. shorty and was just fine. that was before i even had Neo socks. We got a little chill only when we stoped to set up raps but other than that we were fine. I would asume that haveing flowing water would cause it to be a lot colder but i have yet to experience it.

I am taking the wife down Das Boot/subway in august hopefully if the lottery is on my side. and all we have are shorties. i hope she likes the cold.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Did Das 4 times last year starting the end of May. I always wore a 3/2 and was comfortable, my wife went and used a 4/3 and says she was comfortable.
    I wouldn't consider this canyon drysuit territory. And Like Shaggy we also leave em on until we exit the subway proper, It makes the tourist looking folks worry a lot when you pass them wearing a wetsuit.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Ice's points do concern me. I rented one a few years ago from ZAC and one of the leg gasket would not seal. My left leg was wet all day. But these women are not cold tolerant. So what do you do?

I came within minutes of buying a dry suit a few years ago. The emperor talked me out of it. As he said, how many do you see in pictures. Not to many.

Mark
    ZAC has new drysuits this year that are a BIG improvement over last years. The dry suit testing machine idea has not gone anywhere, but really the problem last year was that the suits were not very good.

Tom

I've done full left in a 5mm farmer john when it was flowing, and it was a little chilly. Done it twice when it wasn't flowing in a 3/2 full, and was fine. Did it last year solo when it was flowing in a 4/3 full and was fine. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Are there any special difficulties for Upper Left. Know there is that one pothole but AJ and others say it is easy to escape. Have a basic understanding & tools to escape keeper potholes. Have escaped from easy potential keepr potholes a couple times but nothing hard core or repetititive found in Imlay or Heaps.
    Especially if it's flowing, the keeper won't give you any trouble; it's just a beached whale move. If it's not flowing, it will easily accept a pack toss, potshots, etc.

The hardest obstacle is likely to come from logjams. Should be passable though. Haven't run into anything too bad in there. Last year's solo trip was wonderful. One of the best times I've had in canyons. Very serene and peaceful...

Take care,
    A.J.

5/19 trip report

We went through on 5/19. Water was flowing. We followed Kelsey's description and found start without too much difficulty, although we were surprised that there was no trail. No difficulty with any of the holes.

We had drysuits, but a wet suit would be fine since there are so many places you can warm up in the sun. We took off our drysuit when we got to the junction with Subway.