Thread: TR: Grand Teton National Park

TR: Grand Teton National Park

The plan was for the desert but 95 degrees told me to look to Jackson instead last weekend. A buddy and I left Friday afternoon and made it to the Gros Ventre campground at about midnight. Plenty of spots were open so we were good to go. I don't typically do campgrounds if there is an alternative but we did not have bear canisters or spray so we felt safer there. If you want more primitive camping, you can just continue up the Gros Ventre road and there are plenty scattered in the mountains. The campground we stayed at is within the park but not in the fee area. It was 30 at night and 70 during the day.

Got up at 6am the first day for the sunrise on the Tetons and ended up walking the entire length of the Mormon Row road (about 2 minutes from the campground). We walked right through the Elk reserve and had to wait out a herd of buffalo on our way. Got some shots of the Moulton Barn and after heading back, got to our car at about 11am. Hit up Jackson for a bit and some major antler sale was happening right at the town square. This has to be one of the biggest if not the biggest event for this in the country/world? The streets were littered with racks from elk, bighorn, moose, deer, etc. Some were over $1000. Unfortunately it does not fit my decor and I am not a hunter so I didn't get any.

Later on we decided to drive up the Gros Ventre road to the Red Hills where we saw some sheep closeup. Came back out on the backroads toward the north entrance to Teton National Park and drove around the fee area mainly as a photo scout for later or the next morning. Went back to town for a burger at the Million Dollar Cowboy Steakhouse (downstairs from the bar). They have an amazing burger & Rolling Rock special for $6 from 5:30-7pm. Considering everything else on the menu is about $30, it was killer. Went to Schwabacher Flats for the sunset.

Schwabacher was nice enough to go there again at 6am for the sunrise. Then stopped briefly at Snake River Overlook and took the loop around the park again. Before we went out of town, we checked out a few barns that we didn't see the day before and went to a cabin up the Gros Ventre road for a final shot.

This trip was a photo expedition and that is about it. It is amazing how many classic shots are there and even when you think you are exploring new territory, it all starts to look familiar. Didn't hike but for the 4 mile flat round trip through the refuge. I was loving it even though my 5d Mark II was in the shop! The wildlife was incredible. Saw up close, Moose, Elk, Buffalo, Otter, Blue Heron, Crazy Blue Birds, Coyotes (heard), etc. Of course the Grand is always in your sights. Great area and a definite recommend in the shoulder season. It took over 5 hours to get there through Evanston but only took 4 hours sharp to get back with a little extra acceleration!.

T

Another otter shot here (too wide for most screens and causes the text above to pan out): http://www.purelightimages.com/pics/fs/tetonotter3.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    great shot's. thanks

This place NEVER gets old!! GReat pictures! I am jealous......wish I could have been there!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Nice I was going to ask you how your trip in the Swell went. Now I know.

Great photos!
    I really need to get up there.

That barn is probably the most photographed barn ever. It is the Moulton barn and the street, well dirt road, out in front to the east of the barn is called Mormon Row. You can still rent out a little cabin from the Moultons just to the south of that Barn. I swear there is nothing like waking up to the sunrise on the Tetons. If you are lucky, the buffalo also graze there often and come right up to the property. If I could find it, I have a picture of my daughter on a rail fence with a herd of buffalo just a few feet from her and the Tetons in the background. Great place, great photos. I want to go there....now.
    Life is Good

very nice!
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Yeah, like I said, we had to wait out the Buffalo because they were right in the middle of Mormon Row. We weren't very far from them for quite a while. The cabins looked pretty sweet. Good place to wake up for sure.

Awesome, I'm jealous!

Yep, great shots!