Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: snow basin trails

snow basin trails

Yesterday, 5-18 rode the green pond trail up to the ski resort. Got a little muddy up at the ski resort, but is all rideable. Man it was nice to get out in the mountains and smell pines again...dont get me wrong, I love the desert and the cactus, but it is a nice change.....been a long winter!
    go get lost, it is good for the soul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    It is nice up there. I rode from green pond to art nord and back last Thursday. That section is a bit tore up from horse hooves but still fun.

Thinking I will start my early morning rides next week. Seems to be warm enough now.

So greens is clear and art nord is mud free other than the standard horse shit that sucks. I am gonna hit it tommorow and get it rolling!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

I wouldn't say enitrely mud free. There are a few spots that are still muddy, but good enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Sweet! Thanks for the pics, looks pretty clear and rideable to me!! I love it up there. Thursday I will be riding art up to greens and going as far as the mud will carry me!

there are still a few sections of some mud..or streams that cross the trail, but it the green pond trail was good all the way up to the ski resort. Friday going to ride from wheeler, up ice box, up art nord to ski resort, then over needles tral up to green pond and then back down west fork and back to ice box and wheeler...will get some pics of the trail as i go, will post..well monday or tuesday. Friday afternoon heading out to Moab to meet up with my son to ride there....

I was thinking of trying Icebox. Well I mostly push my bike up that, but I still like the hike. I am going to ride over to Maples campground and up that trail the one that goes up to Coldwater Caynon overlook (i think) until I can't go any farther. Maybe Sunday, post pics of that section.

I would think that icebox would be a muddy mess still? virtually no sun there. This weekend I will also be tooling around maples, etc so I will follow up with a conditions report.

i rode ice box last week..there was no mud at all in it until you got up to where it intersects with art nord....that was a mess there...but the trail in ice box was in great shape, other than a tree over the trail just after the upper bridge..

I think I will go early Sunday morning. Thanks for posting conditions on Icebox.

anyone want to ride saturday morning? Art nord? Maples etc?

janet just poked her head in my office her and julie hiked to the coldwater canyon overlook today ( stuck here in my office) they said no snow and everything is good for a ride

i can't go saturday, i have to pick my kids up early sat morning, and when i do go on sunday i will start just as the sun is thinking of waking up and hopefully be done before the kids even know i am gone

happy riding

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes
    coldwater canyon overlook
    Is this trail for bikes, or hiking only? If you can bike it, can someone provide directions on how to get to it? I've heard it mentioned several times, but I'm not quite sure how to get to it. Sounds like a cool trail.

Thanks!

There is a trail that goes out of Maples campground that heads up the mountain. I don't know how to tell you exactly where it is. Kind of in the North West corner of the campground. Anyway I have never been told that it is for hiking only. Sadly I didn't make it biking this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes
    There is a trail that goes out of Maples campground that heads up the mountain. I don't know how to tell you exactly where it is. Kind of in the North West corner of the campground. Anyway I have never been told that it is for hiking only. Sadly I didn't make it biking this weekend.
    I have attempted to bike this trail and don't even waste your time. Unless something has changed it is rideable for a little ways but there will be alot of hike a bike and unrideable ascents?

no, you must be thinking of another trail besides cold water overlook. this is a great trail, in fact when i take someone for their first time this is where i take them, it is beautiful, some strenious uphill but no tech stuff to ride.
    to get there, go to snowbasin parking lot number two. then in the northwest corner of the parking lot you will see a gate across a dirt road. this is the road to the old maples camp ground..take off and head north on this trial, you will go down a hill then up again on the other side of this little valley.
    at the top of the hill you will see a single track..follow it up as it kinda of goes in northwest direction. it will lead you to a small burm and a trail marker that tells you that you are on the ogden overlook trail..those that have been around a while call it the cold water overlook.
    the cold water trail you are probably thinking of is the one in north ogden..yea that is a tough trail to ride..this one, its a keeper!

I have only ridden it once and it was as chromehead says "a keeper". I say we have a group ride up there. Anyone interested? What day would be best for everyone Wed, Sat or Sun? Then if you don't know where it is you will!

Dang, I skipped the past two weeks 'cuz of my Yampa River trip, and I'm out this week because I'm headed to Boston.

I'll catch up with you guys next week. I'm dying inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Dang, I skipped the past two weeks 'cuz of my Yampa River trip, and I'm out this week because I'm headed to Boston.

I'll catch up with you guys next week. I'm dying inside.
    excuses... excuses

good news is i went to moab and got some good riding in..bad news is i broke my bike..dont know when i will be riding again...so sorry no pics as of yet, as for a ride..would love to just do not know how long i will be out of commission.