Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rock Slide In Pine Creek

Rock Slide In Pine Creek

So i went down Pine Creek on Saturday and i couldn't belive what i saw on the last rappel, Half of the alcove fell down into the last pool. I haven't heard anything on bogley about it so i thought i would post up and see if anyone has anymore information about when it happened and how much rock fell. I would say that there is about 15 to 20 feet of rock on the ground making it only about 85ft rappel. Also a cool thing is you can now climb up into the uper grotto behind that last rap the pool up there is crystal clear and it makes for some good pics of people on the last rap.

Sorry no pics they other guy in the group has them. Anyways post up if you have any info. thanks
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

First I've heard of this, it must be new.....

I can't wait for someone to post a couple pictures because it will be a while before I'm back in Zion.

It happened a while back - I remember talk on the Yahoo group about the shorter last rap. Here are a couple of pics of the landing zone:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    It happened a while back - I remember talk on the Yahoo group about the shorter last rap. Here are a couple of pics of the landing zone:
    Same. I tried to search for it over on the Yahoo group but it wasn't showing up. Think it happened late winter early spring. Remember it was Tom that posted it. He can fill in the details I missed.

Canyonguru, speaking of Pine Creek how about a conditions report? How was the water? Low water levels? cold? wetsuits eneed?

Thanks for the pics....

The Backcountry office stated that the water was 40 degrees and i would say that is about right. The water is about half from full. The first pothole is pretty empty just a small wade about waist deep but i am 6'3 so maybe higher for some folks. The only swimmer is out of the cathedral the landing is waist deep and there is a sand bar on the far side. Then to get out there is a very short swim maybe 15-20 ft. All other pools are waist deep or less. I was in a shorty wet suite and we took a group of 12 down. I was just fine never got the chills or shakes and we spent a long time in the canyon getting everyone through. A couple of guys went without suites so if you are worm blooded you should be fine. The canyon looks great but it is a bummer about that last drop it is pretty ulgy now. It is crazy to think that the last rappel will never be the same so if you have done it in the past i would cherrish those pics you have becuase it will never look like that again.

Mother nature is awesome and i am sure glad no one was there to get hurt during the rock fall.

Come on Bogley, lets put together a service project and clean the place up. There is ample testostrone on this site to move those boulders. Maybe if we all just chip a chunk of rock out each time we go in a couple of years we can have the place back to photo op meca. . . . or not.

On a more serious issue, should the anchor be moved back to the water course since one can easily get out to the alcove it appears?
    Life is Good

If I had to pick a canyon that has changed more than any other I know of over the past 10 years it would be Pine Creek. Most canyons stay the same and never seem to change.... or the changes are extremely slow and gradual.... but not Pine Creek.... the changes I have seen in that canyon are amazing... as the forgotten bolts hanging high on the canyon walks and no longer usable and in some cases even reachable will confirm...

Any one have some good before pics? I have never done this one and would like to see a Before and After if possible
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

this isn't the best picture but i just serched on the net for one. all of mine aren't on the computer.

i think it would be reallly cool to have it moved into the alcove. it is awsome in there but it will make the rap only a obout 70ft i would say.

this isn't the best picture
    Hey, that's my wife in that picture. That makes it the best.

Photo taken last fall.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Stops me worrying about whether my rope's long enough, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Come on Bogley, lets put together a service project and clean the place up. There is ample testostrone on this site to move those boulders. Maybe if we all just chip a chunk of rock out each time we go in a couple of years we can have the place back to photo op meca. . . . or not.

On a more serious issue, should the anchor be moved back to the water course since one can easily get out to the alcove it appears?
    Dang it! Nature sucks sometimes! I LOVE that little alcove! I would totally be willing to bring a sledge hammer and help restore it to it's former self!
    I bet you a dozen or so people could get a lot done in a day!

I'm just glad that no one was on rappell of around the area when it happened! Can you imagine?!

That spot in Pine Creek holds a very dear memory for me! PC was the 2nd canyon my girls had ever done, and Sarah was the first one out of our group down that rap! She was 13 at the time. While waiting for the rest of us, she wandered around and found quite a few critters (all dead sadly) so she built this little critter shrine. So she had this very creative little creature memorial all set for us by the time we'd arrived...best part of the trip for me seeing this thing she created!

And besides all that, it was such a sweet way to end the canyon rapping into that nice pool.

OK Scott, we got two of us. You must be interested or you wouldn't have mentioned it! Who else is on board?

Dammit, I'm taking some "new to Zion" folks through there in a couple of weeks! Bad timing for mother nature to be pulling this beauty & the beast scenerio! :(
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

You people make me laugh sometimes.... just because someone slammed a couple bolts in the wall or wrapped webbing around a certain rock does not mean you have to use their anchor.

If you want to rappel down the main water course into the alcove above "just do it!" We do it all the time, particularly when we get to the last rappel and the usual 30 to 60 minute queue is forming. Just because the bolts are at a certain spot does not mean that is how you have to do the route.

My only concern with establishing new anchors is don't make a big ass mess or create new social trails in a place like Zion. When we do the watercourse rappel we normally ask someone standing around the top waiting for their turn at the "standard rappel" to remove our sling when we are finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    You people make me laugh sometimes.... just because someone slammed a couple bolts in the wall or wrapped webbing around a certain rock does not mean you have to use their anchor.

If you want to rappel down the main water course into the alcove above "just do it!" We do it all the time, particularly when we get to the last rappel and the usual 30 to 60 minute queue is forming. Just because the bolts are at a certain spot does not mean that is how you have to do the route.

My only concern with establishing new anchors is don't make a big ass mess or create new social trails in a place like Zion. When we do the watercourse rappel we normally ask someone standing around the top waiting for their turn at the "standard rappel" to remove our sling when we are finished.

This may be a dumb question, but where is the main water course rappel located?
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

Right before you climb out of the main drainage to go over to the bolted anchor. Keep going staight and you can look down through that hole into the alcove. That would be the main water course rappel. I'll post a picture later.

Mark

Last year my group at the Zion Bogley Fest used the watercourse rappel. There are probably some pictures of the rappel and alcove floating around somewhere. When we got to the final rappel there was a line of about 20 people waiting to use the standard anchor so we just tossed anther line down the water course. The nice thing is the watercourse rappel and the standard rappel do not interfere with each other at all so it's a fast way to get a lot of people down that final drop.

At one time (1999?) there were bolts for the watercourse rappel but they were pulled after a debris bridge fell and it became a little dangerous to get to the bolts. Now we just sling a boulder about 10' back from the drop.