Thread: Newbie from the East Coast

Newbie from the East Coast

Hey all,

First off, great board.. I accepted a job out here in SLC, and my wife and I were instantly excited about the possibility of doing some outdoors activities here in Utah.

So here we are, but we're completely new to trails/hiking and what have you. We're a family of 4: my wife, my two boys (ages 4 and 2), and myself. We're moderately active, and are looking to do some beginner's trails and hikes. Does anyone have any good suggestions on what would a good beginner hike be?
    Also, is there a FAQ for beginners around? I'd love to know if we should invest in a GPS, what sort of gear we should bring (I'm guessing water, snacks, etc)? Any other pointers would be great! We really want to break out of the typical weekend of malls/shopping, and get outdoors and explore!

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    The ZOO!!! Hogle Zoo

Kids love it. I know that is not a hiking trail.. but with your little ones it would be most interesting. Also up in Ogden we have wonderful Dinosaur park at the mouth of Ogden Canyon. Put that one on your list around October for all the fun Haloween decorations.

As for little hikes in the mountains I don't know SL trails very well I will leave that to the bogelites who do.

By the way welcome aboard!!

Howdy & Welcome Where were you located on the East Coast?

Yes, you should buy a GPS use it every day . Since it's pretty late in the year i suggest you go fishing but there's still some time to fit in some hiking trails. I personally don't know many places up north but Antelope Island, Stansbury Island (has rock art). Just google stuff or go to a local bookstore and buy a book that fits your interest.
    If you don't mind me asking.
    What exactly are you looking for? Rock art, waterfalls, old spanish mines and symbols, newer mines, lakes, streams, rock formations. If you tell us what you're looking for you might get some good answers.

What's with all the noobs lately? Oh, summertime! Get out of the house! Love it. Welcome clockwerkz.

Welcome to the hood. Post your questions in the appropriate sections and you should get a bunch of hits with ideas.

One of my favorites last year was Antelope Island. We just did a short hike to Doley knob, I think that is the name? but it was a great family hike. tons of hiking in and near the ski resorts too. Check out the hiking section.
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Howdy & Welcome Where were you located on the East Coast?
    Wow, thanks for all the suggestions!

We're originally from Miami, Fl.. but we came out here by way of NC. We were living just outside of Raleigh for a little under two years. Unfortunately, we didn't explore the mountains out there in NC, so we don't want to make the same mistake here.. Hopefully we'll be here a lot longer, though. :D But yeah, we're definitely looking forward to exploring.

I moved from East TN to UT about 3 1/2 years ago... Too bad you didn't get to explore the NC Mountains. I miss the trees, rivers and lakes, but I can always go to the canyons here and pretend. I recommend the same for your family. Drive up a canyon and park at the first place that seems interesting, and eventually you will figure out how they all connect (or don't connect.)
    Outside is the best side

Quote Originally Posted by clockwerkz
    Unfortunately, we didn't explore the mountains out there in NC, so we don't want to make the same mistake here
    Don't pass those Utah mountains up, drift across the border into Colorado too You will not be disappointed