Thread: $500 is almost as good as free

$500 is almost as good as free

I have been looking for a Waggy and almost had one and the guy was not willing to hold it untill i got back from my trip arround the GSL so i started looking and found this. Well it it is leaking from the tranny like a sieve but it will be ok. There is a fuel problem and the tranny was empty. It did not want to shift well when I was driving it but I have seen the empty tranny thing before (my mother in law ran hers dry and then thought the car was going to dye she almost traded it in because it was not operating well) I realized it had the fuel problem because it was not wanting to get up above 35 without dying. I started to think that I forgot to turn on the fuel pump but when I turned it off the power increased then then it started to sputter like there was no fuel. I kicked the pump back on and there it was all the power I would ever need. The Waggy did it to me 3 more times on the hour and a half drive but cleared up each time. When the fuel is correct it is a good running rig. I have no intentions of making it a fancy rig all I want is to be able to play with and something my wife can drive around in at MOAB. Unfortunately I have to wait until June before I can really tear into it. June is when I get out of my apartment complex and into the house we will be renting.
    Where can I look to find where to see what it came with and it's specs.
    Thanks
    The first things on the list to do:
    1. Move
    2. Fix fuel problem
    3. Pull tranny and transfer case clean and possibly re-build if necessary. (I don't think it will be though)
    4. Take a few inches out from under it.(I Think I may order new springs that will give me about 4 inches without the spring over and blocks it has now.
    5. Fix the gages the only one that is working is the amps. That should be easy also.

"I'm a firm believer that if you play for more than you can afford to lose, you will learn the game." Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ahh, the Waggy.
    What year is that bad boy? Need to know that to give you the correct information.

By the looks of it it probably has the 360 V8, the TF-727 3spd automatic tranny, Dana 44 axles with the rear being off-set to the right and with that setup, the Quadra-Trac full time 4wd setup.

The 727 is a good tranny. Sounds like it's been out of fluid for a while and driven like that. Probably needs a rebuild. If you can yank that thing yourself, it will be a lot cheaper to have it rebuilt. You're taking a lot of the labor cost out of that build if ya yank it yourself and bring it to them that way. Shop around, rebuilds are not all that expensive with tranny's that are out of the vehicle and especially those that are lacking the over-drive such as yours. Simple tranny.

You have a carb, so your fuel pump that came stock with it is mechanical. Fuel systems that have sat for awhile can develop issues. Fuel pumps are pretty inexpensive as well as the fuel filter. Change them both out and I'd check the filter for signs of flaking rust. Being an older vehicle it could be possible that the lines are corroded as well as the inside of the gas tank.

Again, give the year and I can get ya the info you need on that Waggy.

I also resized your pics to get them to fit in the forum. Since you have Photobucket, there is an option on the bottom of the window that you upload your pics from that will resize them. Select 800x600 pics and they will fit perfectly in here.

If ya don't mind crawling back under it and snapping a few more pics of that rear suspension. I cannot remember if they were sprung over the axle from the factory. I know my M-715 was sprung under in the rear and over in the front. If it is an aftermarket lift, you won't mind that sprung over deal. Little more articulation and better clearance from those rocker panel smashing rocks you have out there. Those narrow break over angles need a bit more clearance.

It is a 79, it has a spring over in the rear with a block. i don't like the block but i will live with it for a while. I plan on replacing the filter for the trannny as soon as i find out what tranny it is. I have picked up a new in line fuel filter today and i have poured a bottle of sea foam in the engine to help break up the gunk that has settled over the years. I have also soaked the carb with carb cleaner and i am hoping it will break up any junk that is in it tonight and i will run it again in the morning. I plan on taking it to the auto Hobie shop on base in the morning and changing all the fluids. I will get a bunch more photos to post then while it is on the lift. If you could tell me for sure what the tranny is i will do that also while it is on the lift.
    "I'm a firm believer that if you play for more than you can afford to lose, you will learn the game." Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by snccoulter
    I plan on replacing the filter for the trannny as soon as i find out what tranny it is.
    3spd auto it's gonna be a TorqueFlite 727 or possibly a Turbo 400.

Crawl underneath and check out the pans.

TF-727's pan shape

Turbo 400's pan shape