Thread: Shenanigans

Shenanigans

We went through Shenanigans on May 16. The canyon was completely dry except for the pool at the end, which looks like it is spring fed. That canyon is a great find. There is a lot of action from beginning to end.

I thought I might be foolish to go down to the North Wash now instead of earlier in the year. If so, there were a lot of other foolish people down there as the Sandthrax camping area was pretty much full. The hike out (which we started at about 12:30) was hot, but not the worst I have done. We each took 3 liters of water and we all drank every drop, but it lasted until right before we returned to the car. We returned up the Kelsy exit.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

How were the bugs at Sandthrax camp?

They weren't too bad. The ants in our campsite bothered me more than the mosquitos. Still, anyone going there will definitly want to bring bug spray.

Thanks for the info.... I've never had a problem with mosquito's at Sandtrax... it's usually the no-see-ums or the black nats that are a problem about this time of year.

sandthrax
    hmm sounds like
    Anthrax Camp

Quote Originally Posted by coinslab
    sandthrax
    hmm sounds like
    Anthrax Camp
    The camp is named for the canyon. Story of the name at the bottom of this page:

http://climb-utah.com/Powell/sandthrax.htm

I tell this one a lot - it's a classic tale... Ah, paranoia in our times...

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Quote Originally Posted by coinslab
    sandthrax
    hmm sounds like
    Anthrax Camp
    The camp is named for the canyon. Story of the name at the bottom of this page:

http://climb-utah.com/Powell/sandthrax.htm

I tell this one a lot - it's a classic tale... Ah, paranoia in our times...
    and for hank's tale of the naming see ...

http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/ca...e/?i=sandthrax

Hanks story leaves out one important item.... like the fact that the cops had me face down, handcuffed and guns drawn on the floor of the store where all the shoppers and children could gawk at the dangerous criminal.

Where Did The Canyon Get It's Name:

It's important to know the events of our first attempted descent occurred one month after the 9/11 terrorist hijackings and the big congress mail room anthrax scare. The entire country was putting on a brave face but in reality everyone was hunkered down just waiting for the next attack.

When we were trapped in Sandthrax I had one of those cheap disposable point and shoot cameras in my pack. After the ordeal I took the camera into a local grocery store with a one hour photo service to get the film developed.

After dropping off the camera at the one hour photo service I proceed to do some grocery shopping while the film is being develop. When the female film technician pops open the back of the camera sand spills out everywhere. The film technician freaks out and reports she has just been poisoned with anthrax. The cops who happen to have a sub station next to this particular grocery store and who have been watching way too much TV spring into action.......

Next thing I know I'm face down in the isle of the grocery store with two cops standing on top of me with their guns drawn.

After I told my partner Hank Moon the story and he stopped rolling on the floor laughing he suggested we name the canyon Sandthrax, in honor of my grocery shopping episode.

Why had I not heard this little detail before? Or are you pulling our leg again. . . .
    Life is Good

True story....