Thread: New Media Website and Introduction

New Media Website and Introduction

Hey there, my name is Tyler Webb and I live in St. George. I'm sure I know some of you all, and hope to meet more. This seems like a great resource for sharing local knowledge.

Some friends and I have started a new Media Company, Desert Rat Productions (unaffiliated with Bo's new store), emphasizing rock climbing and bouldering, but definitely not restricting ourselves to that as we are involved in many different activities/sports. We have just launched our Web Site and have many Photos and Videos on it right now, with future updates rolling in. We are producing a DVD of new bouldering areas we have been discovering and developing lately in the St. George area, including Zion and surrounding areas. A Trailer is in the Video section of the site, along with a few older videos as well.

Anyway, the site is coming along nicely, we were recently featured in Dead Point Magazine and have been getting lots of traffic from there. However, I would really appreciate any feedback about the site, what can I do to improve it? Also, bugs and glitches are unavoidable, so if you encounter anything fishy while browsing please let me know, we are trying to make a professional quality media website here and so feedback is greatly appreciated.

The address is http://www.desertratpro.com

Thanks and please enjoy. Here is a photo I took of Isaac Caldiero climbing a new problem in Santa Clara called Mer-Maid-Er (v13)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hey! I also live in Santa Clara so am very excited to see your project take off. I've just been dicking around at Chuckwalla so far so am no where near your experience level, but really love the pics. The interface works really well. The pics open up huge so you can make out all the detail and it was very clean and efficient.

If I could offer some advice. I really don't like Quicktime so couldn't watch your videos. I could be alone in that though. For me that program acts like a virus and automatically integrates itself into everything even though I have other players and told it not to play those. It starts itself up in the systray without my permission, constantly asks me to upgrade it. Even uninstalling it was way more difficult than it needs to be. But options are really nice. Maybe 2 choices for the same video? People that have Macs do love it though, perhaps that isn't good advice.

Anyways, I bookmarked you and will come back often.

Your safety is not my responsibility.

Cool, thanks! We use the quicktime format because it is pretty easy to integrate into websites, and also works natively on the ipod touch, and iphone, which make it great for showcasing the videos at trade shows or just at crags. Reaching a bigger audience is important though, and I agree that there are several things I don't like about quicktime as well. I will look into integrating a .avi file option or something similar very soon. Great input, thanks. Those boulders are mostly located on the Santa Clara Mountain, which you can see when you look south-west from santa clara, its the tallest, western-most outcropping of moenkopi sandstone and is very isolated from the surrounding rock.