Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where the heck is this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I know it's not in or around Moab or Mark would have info.

Would seem odd to ask for beta from the bogely masses with no intent to share any back. just sayin'
    This is a great group, with more outdoor knowledge from Utah than anything I've ever seen, but I'd say a little give and take usually works best. Takin' and runnin' might work once................

Quote Originally Posted by coinslab
    Will I .
    You will share if you want members of this forum to help with your next problem....

That's kinda how things work around here.... if you ask a question about something like this we are more than happy to help you out.... but payment for the forums help is normally a trip report in return.

You will find on this forum that the more you share, the more others will share with you. We have worked hard to eliminate the "I know where it is and you don't... ha ha.." attitude around here that is a problem in other similar forums.

YMMV

Straight Wash has rock art and the sandstone looks about right, but I've been through that area extremely heavy and never seen the panels you posted.

Ernie Canyon has rock art, I've never seen it.

Old Woman Wash has rock art, I've never seen it.

North Temple Wash has rock art, I've never seen it

Spring Canyon has rock art, I've seen it and these are not it. (could have missed it.)

Arch Canyon has rock art, I've seen it and these are not it. (could have missed it.)

Three Fingers has rock art, I've never seen it.

Hope that helps....

Where in the h*** is this area? Never heard of any of this.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Where in the h*** is this area? Never heard of any of this.
    Mark
    go west of green river on I-70. a couple miles past the exit for hwy 24 and just before you head up into the swell there will be a dirt road that takes off on the north and south sides of the highway. blm has gates on both sides. if you get to the rest area you have gone too far.

to the north you access black dragon and petroglyph canyons. to the south you can access little spotted wolf, uneva, three fingers, eardley, ernie, oldwoman and others before finally you hit the temple mtn road (the road into goblin valley). be sure to have a good map as there are plenty of dirt roads in the area and it can be confusing.

the rockart on the temple mtn road is easy to find. about 7 mi. from hwy 24. go past the turnoff to goblin valley and it will be in a huge alcove on the right. can't miss it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Ok just not familiar with the canyon names. If you exit and go north the road takes you up to the wedge overlook. Did that a few years ago. I guess i'll pull up topo and have a look. Those pictures are pretty awes. If were talking the same place we did not see anything along that main road that looked to intriguing. Did see a lone mule though. He looked bored.

Mark

[hijack]

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Your moving from Green River to Moab? That's a change in scenery. How'd you pull that off.
    Kind of a long story. I'll give you the 10-peso version :

May 2006: Graduate from UofU in mining engineering, move to Monticello, go to work at the Lisbon Valley mine 35 miles south of Moab. It is one of the best jobs I've ever had.

January 2008: Constellation Copper lays me off because of poor management and bad executive decisions. I move to the only solid mining opportunity close to SLC - underground trona in southwest Wyoming. I don't like it very much.

December 2008: Constellation Copper officially declares bankruptcy and the property is to up highest bidder.

March 2009: Property and mineral rights repurchased by a different party.

April 2009: After several months of consulting for the new company, I am offered an upgraded version of my old job back. I'll be relocating next month.

[/hijack]
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

that's damn fine news rock! glad to hear it. i expect to run some canyons with you in the fall now...

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    that's damn fine news rock! glad to hear it. i expect to run some canyons with you in the fall now...

Without a doubt!! My Moab home is your home...anytime.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Here is the 411 on some of the more popular San Rafael Rock Art.

San Rafael Swell - Pictographs and Petroglyphs
    http://climb-utah.com/SRS/srra.htm

Nope no rock art today. BTW i was kidding OF COURSE i'll tell you if i find it. Found some faded petroglyphs not listed anywhere but nothing else, canyons we've searched in reef.
    Three Finger (rock art)
    Uneva
    Bell
    Little Wild Horse
    Wild Horse (rock art)
    Unknown Canyon 1
    Unknown Canyon 2 (faded petroglyphs)
    South Temple (rock art)
    North Temple (rock art)
    Black Dragon (rock art)
    Spotted Wolf
    -
    I will start The Reef Project for people to document the rock art in the reef. Old Woman Wash I have wanted to see FOREVER and i forgot where it was THANKS!!

Since were playing show and tell here are some I took near Sid's Mt. a few years ago on a hike with Udink and some other friends. I especially love the one I call the Happy Face Indian and notice the Mt Lion in the other one. What was especially exciting about the site was the ground was littered everywhere with chips from arrow headmaking and we also saw two corn grinders.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    See you on the Trail

Keep on topic please (reef)
    here's some faded petro's we found today.

That formation looks just like the formation in Black Dragon.
    Even the diagonal striations match. It can't be far away.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

P~
    Well the Sids Mt is in the swell just west of the reef
    See you on the Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Scout Master
    P~
    But not in it. Thanks for the wonderful pics anyhow.
    ANNOUNCING
    THE REEF PROJECT
    http://reefproject.co.nr

Quote Originally Posted by Scout Master
    P~
    hahaha.

he'll learn in due time that no topic ever stays on track at bogley...

nice pics, btw

Sorry Forgot here's coordinates to rock art we found today in the reef really faded but they're there 38

Rockgremlin,

What do they mine at the lisbon valley? About got smashed by a big truck on that road one time on my motorcycle. Are you going to be living in town or out south? Lucky dog.
    Mark