Thread: Top 10 Things You Didn't know About Hubble

Top 10 Things You Didn't know About Hubble

"My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by The Article
    The massive Hubble makeover is expected to give the space telescope about five more years. If all goes according to plan, it should retire just as astronauts launch the heir to NASA's space telescope throne: The James Webb Space Telescope.

As opposed to Hubble's humble 350 mile orbit, the Webb telescope will orbit 1 million miles from Earth, which means that the days of risky servicing missions, for better or for worse, will end with Hubble.
    I found this whole article very interesting about I was shocked by the difference between Hubble and the James Webb Space Telescope. The Webb Telescope sounds amazing!

My second employer after college was Lockheed where I worked on building simulation systems to support the development of the Hubble's flight software. Nice to see Hubble "go the distance" after the horrible start it had.

Perkin Elmer (the company that f-ed up the mirror) ruined a whole closet of T-shirts and jackets I had when it suddenly became too embarrassing to wear them in public.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

I was still in Elementary School in 90, and I don't remember the poor start Hubble had, but it sure has been amazing what the telescope has done.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    I was still in Elementary School in 90, and I don't remember the poor start Hubble had, but it sure has been amazing what the telescope has done.
    Damn that makes me feel old. I spent a lot of time at Ball Aerospace when they were working on the corrective optics.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

If it makes you feel better Redman, I was in 6th grade (I was almost out of elementary school)

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    If it makes you feel better Redman, I was in 6th grade (I was almost out of elementary school)
    LOL
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!